Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Could my (small local) ISP be hacked? Scareware popups, multiple platforms

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Ruminator

Ruminator

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 26 June 2014 - 10:05 PM

So I'm visiting some family out in the boondocks, and I started having problems on my android phone (Galaxy note 3). Browser redirects and popups all relating to various scareware of the "Your phone has 4 viruses!" variety. In addition, facebook of all things is suddenly completely blocked. I didn't think much of it until I realized the same thing was going on with my laptop as well (windows 7). Can't access facebook, and I get random popups and redirects, this time trying to get me to download some obscure media player.

The popups and redirects on the phone occur in both the stock samsung browser, chrome, and firefox (which I downloaded). On the laptop they occur in both firefox and chrome, though less frequently.

I've scanned the phone with lookout and found nothing. I've cleared caches and cookies and tried everything short of a factory reset. I've also looked at running processes and found nothing that shouldn't be there.

The laptop I've run spybot and comodo on, and again have found nothing. The inability to access facebook seemed like an odd coincidence, so I tried a trace route and found it times out after reaching the local ISP. That's the only site that I can't access, so perhaps it's been intentionally blocked for whatever reason?

Anyways, I've fought with malware before, but never seen anything quite like this. I don't know if the facebook thing has any relationship to the scareware stuff, but between that and the problems occurring on multiple platforms makes me wonder if the fault lies on the ISP's side. They're a small rural ISP, so perhaps it's possible?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users