Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

usb drive recommendations, tough and durable

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,983 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 26 June 2014 - 05:34 PM

A quick question. I need a usb drive to back up some critical data (personal projects i have spent over a year working on) and it needs to be very tough and durable though not a huge capacity. the usb device in question will be hung from a lanyard round my neck so will get a fair bit of (gentle) bashing against my chest as i walk around and needs atleast some splash proofing incase of heavy rain. the capacity must be more than 2 gigabytes, but i don't think anyone makes drives below 8 gig thesedays anyway. metal or thick rubber, either is ok, would be best for the casing and it is essential that somewhere or other the usb has a hole built into it through which a keyring can be put(not some silly little chain which is asking to break at the first millinewton of force placed upon it and not one of these elegant looking drives which is smooth all over without the useful hole). as for the type of cap, or not, i'm not sure but it would be best not to have one where the cap easily falls off. ideally it would be one which you have personally had experience with so you can be sure of it's strength. as for what sellers i can use, uk high street shops is best (does anyone know one that stocks this sort of thing, pcworld certainly doesn't) and amazon is second place (but only if the seller on there can be really trusted, i'm a bit cautious about getting computer hardware online) once again only those that are available in the uk. as for price,under £20 is the sort of range i'm looking for, but a bit over can be ok if no other options are available. does anyone have any thoughts, or more helpfully personal experience to recommend a type/shop. 

i know it's a pretty precise set of requirements but if it wasn't i would have probably found one to fit them already.

thanks

p.s. i noticed most stuff in this forum was about technical problems but from the description at the top i assumed it was still the right place for this.

Edited by rp88, 26 June 2014 - 05:36 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,863 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 26 June 2014 - 05:56 PM

You're looking for a Mil Spec Drive so you'll pay Mil Spec prices.

Flash Survivor® Stealth USB 3.0 32GB USB Flash Drive

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,168 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 PM

Posted 26 June 2014 - 08:10 PM

Scan amongst others offer "click and collect" at Argos branches through their eBay listings, and have the 16Gb version of that drive for under £20.  I can vouch for Scan in as much as I know the components I've bought from them have been genuine and they have a generally good reputation.  Amazon (themselves) also carries the same item if you prefer.

Edited by jonuk76, 26 June 2014 - 08:27 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#4 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,983 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2014 - 06:00 AM

any other recommendations, the more options i have the better i can decide?

thanks

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#5 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,168 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2014 - 07:52 AM

The Corsair Flash Voyager (which I have one of) is tough, and has a rubberised coating.  It won't fall apart like cheap plastic flash drives, but unlike the Flash Survivor above, you wouldn't want to go for a swim with it - but it is splashproof.  The Lacie RuggedKey is another one marketed as tough.  I don't own one but judging by the Amazon reviews, I'd go with a Corsair.

7sbvuf-6.png

#6 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 27 June 2014 - 08:46 AM

I'd also recommend two additional copies of the data.  My ex lost her entire journal when her flash drive failed.  I only trust flash drives with temporary storage and never with my only copy.

It isn't a question of if your purchased product will fail, it is a question of when.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 27 June 2014 - 11:40 AM

I backup my important flash drive files to a CD-RW and another flash drive. It's even better if you can keep one of the backups offsite.

#8 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,983 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2014 - 12:59 PM

it won't be my only copy of the data but i want it to be a tough one.

#9 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,071 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2014 - 04:27 PM

Does not sound like you should settle for water resistant, bite the bullet and buy the mil grade one!.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#10 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,983 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2014 - 12:56 PM

any other tips for particular models and brands(i'm pretty sure that more than 1 company sells "mil spec" flash drives), remember i said ones for sale in uk highstreet shops(don't know how many uk users there are on here) are preferable. or amazon, they are about the only online shopping site i use but if you're suggesting one from there please ensure it is one from a supplier you know to be trustworthy.

thanks

#11 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,071 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2014 - 06:11 PM

Google "Mil Spec Thumb Drive" you will get a ton of hits like I just did.

#12 davidmartin123

davidmartin123

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 29 June 2014 - 11:59 PM

cool information I've been looking for a long time. 

#13 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,983 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2014 - 10:20 AM

i found a few types on amazon, can you see if any of these look like particularly good choices? i also had a few general questions regarding each of them.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CMFSS3-16GB-Flash-Survivor-Stealth/dp/B008HK515Y/ref=dp_ob_title_ce#productDetails

http://www.amazon.co.uk/PRETEC-Bulletproof-Shockproof-Dustproof-Waterproof/dp/B002BJCTUM/ref=sr_1_4?m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1404225955&sr=1-4&keywords=Pretec

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CMFUSB2-0-16GB-Flash-Voyager-Resistant/dp/B000LXTUT8/ref=sr_1_7?m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1404226087&sr=1-7&keywords=rugged+usb+drive

http://www.amazon.co.uk/PRETEC-Bulletproof-Shockproof-Dustproof-Waterproof/dp/B002RAOZCA/ref=sr_1_5?m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1404226484&sr=1-5&keywords=pretec

amazon themselves didn't seem to know many of the details so the key things were:

how big is the drive, they all give dimensions but some of those dimensions(if all are in cm) don't match up with the length/height ratio of the usb drives. for example the first corsair one gives a size of 19x4.6x13.6 centimetres, now if it were that size it couldn't have the same width to length ratio as in the images so how big is it really?

usb 3.0, will it work with usb 2.0 ports? both my computers have only usb 2.0 ports and i've never even seen a usb 3.0 port. are usb 3.0 devices guranteed to work on usb 2.0 ports?

fancy software, i'm just after a tough piece of hardware, can anyone work out whether the drives listed will work like normal usb drives for simply copying files from the harddrive onto the stick? can any encryption software provided, which i have no need of, be simply deleted and the stick used in the "normal" way?

cap types, can anyone tell how the caps on some of them attach, just slide or or screw on or what? it isn't clear for all of them. do you know any of them to have a habit of the cap falling off?

experience, has anyone used any of those above types? had any bad experiences with them? do you recognise them as being from reliable brands?

key-ring hole, since i can't physically measure it from online photos, could anyone who's bought one enlighten me on the size of the hole, will it fit an average key ring (of wire diameter 2-3mm)? for the pretec ones, is the attached key ring tough or rather weak, can the hole in it closest to the drive have a normal key ring threaded through it instead or is it too small?

i know it's a bit annoying to ask these questions but it's the only place i seem to able to ask them, amazon doesn't know many of the technical specifications themselves. 

thanks

#14 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,071 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2014 - 11:07 AM

A US finding should also be available on Amazon UK, looks very good for the price.

http://www.amazon.com/EP-Memory-GorillaDrive-16GB-EP-GDUSB/dp/B00CRMKFFY/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1404230614&sr=1-2&keywords=waterproof+flashdrive

#15 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,168 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2014 - 07:10 AM

USB 3.0 devices are backwards compatible with USB 2.0 ports.  This is part of the USB 3.0 standard.  So yes they are "guaranteed" to work.

All I can add is that the Corsair Voyager drives have a cap which is push on (friction fit).  They don't fall off too easily in my experience but you have to be careful not to lose it.  It'll go on a keyring.

You have rights to cancel under Distance Selling Regulations in the UK so if an item you order doesn't meet your needs for any reason at all, as long as you follow the correct process you can return the item for a full refund.

Edited by jonuk76, 02 July 2014 - 09:53 AM.

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users