Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing new operating system on SSD

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 DarkConstruct

DarkConstruct

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 26 June 2014 - 04:29 PM

Hello, I'm having some trouble installing windows 7 onto an SSD on a pre-setup Windows 8 computer. I've disabled secure boot but it seems no matter what I do I'm brought back to the Windows Boot Manager screen, which looks similar to this:

24bvi9l.jpg

Keeping in mind that the information where it says "file:" says this instead \$WINDOWS.~BT\Windows\system32\winload.efi

Can anyone explain to me what I might doing wrong? I'm currently using a USB to boot Windows 7.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ladavis2000

ladavis2000

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 AM

Posted 26 June 2014 - 04:44 PM

change efi settings in bios...

#3 DarkConstruct

DarkConstruct
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2014 - 05:34 PM

I actually managed to bypass it by pressing escape which loaded the install software for Windows 7, but now I have a new problem. It won't install to any of the drives, I've formatted my SSD but still for some reason doesn't want to install to that drive. It says it's set as primary, I don't know if that has anything to do with it?

#4 DarkConstruct

DarkConstruct
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2014 - 06:51 PM

Damn it, I've really messed things up now, I deleted some partitions that I thought would be safe to delete and I think I have deleted the windows 8 operating system. The only thing that boots is windows 7 on my usb and it won't install :( I get this message in the details when trying to install windows 7 "windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partitions style"

I've tried this fix, but function shift f10 won't work. Please if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.

PS, I know I'm an idiot for deleting random partitions.

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,774 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 26 June 2014 - 06:58 PM

Just as a FYI on what can happen when you delete partitions on a SSD. Also AS A LAST resort there is a Gparted tutorial by me on how you might fix this.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/538583/sandisk-ssd-x110-256gb-not-recognized-in-bios/

#6 DarkConstruct

DarkConstruct
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2014 - 07:16 PM

Thanks, I just realised actually that it's just shift and f10 to access command prompt, and I can access it. So I might be able to format the disk for use with Windows 7 and install the operating system. The only problem is I'm confused as to how to select the right disk, as there are more than one disk 1. So I don't know how I'm supposed to know I'm selecting the right disk....

#7 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,774 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 26 June 2014 - 07:24 PM

I deleted some partitions that I thought would be safe to delete and I think I have deleted the windows 8 operating system

You may have.

The drive should show up as Disk 0 unallocated xxxxxGB or something along those lines.

PS

in the screen shot I notice it says something about trying to load a 64 bit application, However this cpu is not compatible   with the 64 bit operation.

What's that about?

Edited by NickAu1, 26 June 2014 - 07:27 PM.

#8 DarkConstruct

DarkConstruct
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2014 - 07:50 PM

don't really know, however now it seems to be working but half way through set up it restarted and now I'm back at the installation screen again, it seems to have only installed some of it I think..... what's strange is now I can use the mouse, i couldn't before, had to just use the keyboard. I don't know whether I should try installing again, or format the hard drive and then try installing again?

Actually i think I might know what the problem is. I unplugged my main hardrive to get it to install and now the only drives showing are drive 0. maybe I should reformate them and try again? I'm really not sure what the best course of action is right now.

Okay, I just formatted it and now I'm trying again, finger crossed it will work this time.

Edited by DarkConstruct, 26 June 2014 - 07:53 PM.

#9 DarkConstruct

DarkConstruct
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2014 - 07:59 PM

Nope, it just keeps getting to a certain point in the installation and then restarts, sigh....

Don't know what the problem is....

I do actually have my disk drive sata cable disconnected because I'm using it for my new hard drive, just wondering if that might be the problem? :-/

Edited by DarkConstruct, 26 June 2014 - 08:02 PM.

#10 DarkConstruct

DarkConstruct
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2014 - 10:39 PM

I managed to install Windows 7, but I have another problem. I'm trying to install the drivers but disk management won't recognise any external devices. I'm at a complete loss as what I can do to fix this.

#11 DarkConstruct

DarkConstruct
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2014 - 09:51 AM

Please help, my computer won't recognise any external device in disk management. The external disk drive I'm using works fine on my laptop, I don't know why my newly installed Windows 7 won't recognise the drive. I can at least see that there is power going to the device from the USB.

[edit], I also don't think it's even recognising it in device manager.

I think my problem is I don't have any driver software for anything, not for my network adapters or anything else. And I can't manually install any because it won't recognise any external data transferring device. This really is frustrating, I think it probably has something to do with this being a preset up windows 8 machine.

Edited by DarkConstruct, 27 June 2014 - 10:02 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users