Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spyware Tools

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Darthy

Darthy

The red side of the Force

• Members
  • 1,217 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 AM

Posted 28 May 2006 - 06:24 PM

Hi guys
What do you think about Spy Sweeper?
In this site TopTenReviwes, they tell us it wins the gold medal. :thumbsup:
Can you tell me something about it? :flowers: or :trumpet: Thanks.
Regards,
Darthy
Εν οίδα οτι ουδέν οίδα - Socrates
Thanks John

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Darthy

Darthy

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,217 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2006 - 09:18 PM

9 viewers and no one said anything? :thumbsup: Don't you know Spy sweeper? :flowers: Come on, tell me something. :trumpet:

Thanks,

Darthy
Thanks John

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 AM

Posted 28 May 2006 - 10:23 PM

If you don't mind paying, its a wise choice but it should not be your only tool. Using more than one anti-spyware program increases your protection coverage. No single program on the market can claim 100% detection/removal so using more than one is recommended. Each vendor has its own definition of what constitutes spyware and scanning your computer using different criteria will yield different results. The fact that each program has its own definition files means that some malware may be picked up by one that could be missed by another.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 Darthy

Darthy

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,217 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2006 - 10:37 AM

Thanks for your advices quietman7.

Regards,

Darthy
Thanks John

#5 Elendil

Elendil

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 AM

Posted 29 May 2006 - 01:32 PM

I've tried the trial version of SpySweeper and it impressed me beyond explanation. Unfortunately, my trial ran out and now it is no longer being utilized by me in the war against malware. Now I am using Spyware Doctor's Unlimited Trial which kindly allows me to activiate all of its real-time protection and monitoring system; however, I will buy SpySweeper in the near future and remove Spyware Doctor from my computer.
Stanford '14
B.S. Candidate | Computer Science

#6 Darthy

Darthy

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,217 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2006 - 04:29 PM

Hi Elendil
Where did you find Spyware Doctor's Unlimited Trial? Can you tell me?
Thanks.
Darthy
Thanks John

#7 Elendil

Elendil

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2006 - 06:08 PM

:thumbsup: :flowers: :inlove: :woot: :) Apparently I've been using version 3.5.... when the newest one is 3.8 :trumpet: so much for Spyware Doctor's Updating tools >.<

Edited by Elendil, 29 May 2006 - 06:10 PM.

Stanford '14

#8 Elendil

Elendil

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2006 - 06:47 PM

Ok, it appears that even the new version's trial doesn't expire.
Stanford '14

#9 Darthy

Darthy

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,217 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2006 - 08:32 PM

Thanks Elendil. :thumbsup:

Regards,

Darthy
Thanks John

#10 Harry83

Harry83

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2006 - 05:57 PM

I use the full version of Spyware Doctor. Everyone has different opinions but I know that for some reason the trial version of Spyware Doctor doesn't detect as much spyware as the full version. It's search results are not as good. I was not aware they had an unlimited trial but, there must be some features missing from it, otherwise there isn't a visible reason for the user to buy the product. I could check out the trial and compare them if you would like.

I have been extremely pleased and impressed by Spyware Doctor. It has a simple user interface and the search times are very fast. It provides fairly comprehensive coverage and combined with freeware products it gets everything.

Spyware Sweeper is also a very good product, although I have not tried it out. From the reviews I have read they are both neck and neck, in terms of quality, and have both won awards. For products at the top of the market it all comes down to user preference. I have heard some users complain about certain background processes that SD uses, but I cannot validate that complaint. Others choose based upon company reputations or user interface. Either way, these products will serve you extremely well when paired with freeware counterparts like Spybot and AdAware.

My advice is to just check out both the trials and see which one you like better and read multiple reviews.
--
Harry83
Posted Image
Liberating America From Spyware - 1 Computer at a time...

#11 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2006 - 06:36 PM

Spyware Doctor's time-unlimited trial version doesn't remove existing threats Although real-time detection and removal of incoming threats is enabled.
Posted Image

#12 Elendil

Elendil

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2006 - 07:27 PM

Specifically why I use it in conjunction with Windows Firewall rather than using another firewall. With the real-time monitoring stuff and shields on my computer all malicious content leaving my computer will be discovered and I will be notified.
Stanford '14

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,954 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2006 - 08:12 PM

all malicious content leaving my computer will be discovered and I will be notified

The XP firewall does a good job of monitoring, examining and blocking inbound traffic but makes no attempt to filter or block outbound traffic like most 3rd-party personal firewalls. Thus, the XP firewall does not identify which programs attempt to initiate outbound network or Internet communications nor does it block the traffic when suspicious activity occurs.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#14 Dennis H

Dennis H

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2006 - 09:27 AM

all malicious content leaving my computer will be discovered and I will be notified

The XP firewall does a good job of monitoring, examining and blocking inbound traffic but makes no attempt to filter or block outbound traffic like most 3rd-party personal firewalls. Thus, the XP firewall does not identify which programs attempt to initiate outbound network or Internet communications nor does it block the traffic when suspicious activity occurs.

quietman7,

Why didn't the folks who came up with XP firewall address the issues you raise when they wrote the program ?? Oversight ??

Thanks,
Dennis :thumbsup:

#15 Elendil

Elendil

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2006 - 09:39 AM

Before Windows XP, security was almost non-existant for Microsoft Operating Systems. Fortunately, they realized this and began stepping up their security features greatly. SP2 for XP was one of Microsoft's most powerful advances in the war against malware. It came with all sorts of patches and the Windows Firewall as we know it; however, due to immense pressure and urging of the public, Microsoft was urged to release this SP ASAP (I believe), so they cut a few corners; one of them being the outbound monitoring for Windows Firewall. The "toolbar and search engine war" (Yahoo vs. Google vs. Microsoft's MSN) didn't help either because everyone was scrambling forward to outdo the other company (take for instance Microsoft's new string of BETA programs). At least, this is my reasoning for Microsoft not making an outgoing filter for Windows Firewal, but since I'm human there's always a chance that I'm wrong :thumbsup:

Edited by Elendil, 31 May 2006 - 09:39 AM.

Stanford '14

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users