Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows don't load to desktop.........

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 M-train

M-train

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 26 June 2014 - 03:25 PM

Yesterday the power went out just for about 5 minutes. I don't know if this caused the issue, or it was just a coiensidense.

Anyway, the computer would try to boot up, but everything was really slow, and it wouldn't get to the desktop at all. It would make it to the last load screen, then would change to only a blue sreen with a movable cursor, but no desktop icons.

I've done a dignostic test, and everything was fine.

I did get into "safe mode" yesterday, but was unable to get into system restore.

I also tried to get into system restore from the boot screen by pressing F11 repeatedly.

The other options from the boot screen works, such as, "setup", diagnostics, etc, but not "sys restore".

Today after the blue, boot screen appears, then dissappears [still can't get sys restor  to run], it goes to a black screen for about a minute, then a white line rolls out at the bottom of the screen, and says, "windows loading".

Then it loads the length of the white bar, then nothing. I have left the computer on all day after this happens, but that is all it will do.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 AM

Posted 26 June 2014 - 08:56 PM

:welcome: to Bleeping Computer Community M-train. :)

If you have your Vista installer disc, please run a startup repair to fix your windows system files. Let us know how it went. :thumbup2:

Tekken

#3 M-train

M-train
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2014 - 04:18 PM

No disc came with this computer.....

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2014 - 07:46 PM

Is it a laptop or a desktop? Can you remove and reattach the hard drive and RAMS, video card, power cable just in case? Make sure the power cord is unplugged and computer is off while working internally or if you happen to have no confidence doing this, ask a friend who knows how to work on these suggestions.

Tekken

#5 M-train

M-train
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2014 - 06:38 PM

Its a desktop. Vista.

I was able to do a sys restore back to three days before the problem, and still no change.

I did change out the surge protector for another, and still no change.

I did get a message in a blue windows that said,

"a problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

I kinda wonder if my graphics card is on the way out, IIRC, those were the same symptoms the last card did before it died.

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2014 - 06:53 PM

Can you boot to safemode in Windows then? If yes, try reinstalling your Video card driver by downloading from the manufacturing support site only or the CD that came along with your computer (if onboard video) or card. A corrupt software is possible but cannot rule out hardware. The initial suggestions are also another course of action to take in this case.

Tekken

#7 M-train

M-train
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2014 - 04:31 PM

I couldn't make it into safe mode today, so I gave the graphics card a little time in the stove [done this before many times, and it actually works].

Still no change.

I'm getting a "disc boot failure, insert system disk and press enter"

This is funny because HP didn't include a damned Windows Vista disc with the computer.

#8 M-train

M-train
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2014 - 04:33 PM

Question, I don't want to loose any of my files so if I buy a new computer can I just load Vista so I can use my old hard drive?

Or, do I just need to buy Vista, and load it up, or will that wipe my hard drive?

Edited by M-train, 29 June 2014 - 04:34 PM.

#9 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2014 - 11:01 PM

Question, I don't want to loose any of my files so if I buy a new computer can I just load Vista so I can use my old hard drive?

If the hard drive is still healthy and the error is coming from a corrupt windows OS, you can create and use a linux bootable CD from this 2 page tutorial link to retrieve your important data.

Or, do I just need to buy Vista, and load it up, or will that wipe my hard drive?

If the drive is healthy again, only after backing up your data externally either by a USB flash drive or an external storage drive (see link from above) depending on how large the capacity you need to save. You can contact or visit HP support site and check if they provide recovery disc for your system, see here.

Edit: Can you post the HP computer model next time?

Edited by jhayz, 29 June 2014 - 11:02 PM.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users