Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Browsers

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Beel

Beel

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 26 June 2014 - 03:15 PM

I have an old HP XP pro laptop that has hardly ever been used from scratch and today I fired it up after a few ears lying idle and it is like new even got latest security updates to download from MS today which surprised me. It works like a charm and why wouldn't it as I have hardly anything extra on it since I first purchased it. Now the big question is apart from IE 8, which is up-to-date, what other browser would be the best to download and use on this machine?  I don't do any heavy browsing just general news paper and info etc.Thanks for any ideas!

Edited by hamluis, 26 June 2014 - 05:14 PM.
Moved from XP to Web Browsing/Email - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 26 June 2014 - 07:07 PM

Mozilla Firefox & Google Chrome are 2 popular choices.

Firefox: http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all/

Google Chrome: https://www.google.com/intl/en_us/chrome/browser/

Set Google Chrome To Australian Spelling: http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2010/01/set-google-chrome-to-australian-spelling/

I never make the same mistake twice....I always make it 5 or 6 times just to be sure!

#3 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 26 June 2014 - 08:14 PM

You might also need to upgrade or move to Windows 7 as XP have stop making security updates for newer variants of infections, flaws and exploits. More information from this BC thread.

Tekken

#4 Beel

Beel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 27 June 2014 - 02:15 AM

Okay thank you both for your input, I might go for google-chrome and have a think about W7 but I won't be using the XP machine much as I have a couple of other laptops one with W7 and the other a Mac. So we will see. Again thanks.

#5 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 AM

Posted 27 June 2014 - 04:33 AM

As you have the other 2 flavours, you might even try Linux on that machine. The latest Linux Mint releases are very user friendly.

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 27 June 2014 - 06:45 PM

Yes, I also forgot to include the non windows OS of which are free to use, thanks for the reminder TsVk! :thumbup2:

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users