Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft hotfix install over network fails

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Kage_

Kage_

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 26 June 2014 - 03:11 PM

I have been been trying to figure this out for a long time now and have made no progress so I'm hoping someone can help.

I have an installer script to install a predefined set of Microsoft hotfixes on a new Windows 7 boxes.  When installing from a network mapped drive with"

"C:\Windows\system32\wusa.exe" "Z:\Documents\OS_Hotfixes\Win7-2008\32bit\Windows7SP1\Windows6.1-KB2559049-x86.msu"

I get an error: Installer encountered an error: 0x80070003 The system cannot find the path specified.

If I run the same hotfix from the local machine:

"C:\Windows\system32\wusa.exe" "C:\Share\HostDocuments\OS_Hotfixes\Win7-2008\32bit\Windows7SP1\Windows6.1-KB2559049-x86.msu"

The hotfix installs just fine with no unexpected errors.

All hotfixes act the same way so it's not this specific one.  I have also run sfc /scannow on the box with no success.

This is a Windows 7 SP1 32 bit host.

Any ideas?

Edited by Kage_, 26 June 2014 - 03:15 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 26 June 2014 - 04:03 PM

As I read the error, you're trying to access a Z: disk which is not connected.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 Kage_

Kage_
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2014 - 04:06 PM

As I read the error, you're trying to access a Z: disk which is not connected.

Hummm, It's mapped and I'm looking at the files on it.  Could it be the way wusa is handing the mapped drive?

#4 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 26 June 2014 - 04:35 PM

I've never tried installing hotfixes that way.  Why not just use Windows Update?  Alternatively you could copy the files from the X: drive to your C: drive and then installing them that way.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#5 Kage_

Kage_
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2014 - 05:57 PM

The systems are isolated non-internet connected so WSUS isn't an option.  Copying to the local machine is an option and is the solution right now, but copying 1.5 GB of hotfixes over the network is a pain.  It would be better to put it a single location and run them from a mapped drive.

Edited by Kage_, 26 June 2014 - 05:57 PM.

#6 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 27 June 2014 - 04:04 AM

We use WPKG for all of our network updates... don't get any trouble at all.

Edited by TsVk!, 27 June 2014 - 04:05 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users