Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linux USB Disenfector

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 26 June 2014 - 02:24 PM

I have searched long enough to find a tool like this so asking for help now.  I just bought this USB flash drive to backup my xp system.  XP was damaged by something and it was fixed here by bloopie.  I knew it was infected or damaged but I needed something even if it was infected before we started work, as I had no other backup.  So know I just want to wipe it clean but not just plug in and Delete, that would not be safe.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,683 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 PM

Posted 26 June 2014 - 07:34 PM

In Linux I would use GpartedLive, Destroy  the partition and the Partition Table, Then ReFormat.

However. ( Said in a Zigfreed from Get Smart style of voice) This is the Linux section we don't do  Malware Here. Sorry.

This is a Windows Question, Involving a Windows malware and should be answered by the Malware Response guys. I have pm'ed bloopie for advice..

Edited by NickAu1, 26 June 2014 - 08:14 PM.

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,262 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2014 - 08:15 PM

I think I will just do it on my xp system and bloopie gave me an link to software to do this.  Thanks Nick

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,683 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2014 - 08:18 PM

I think that's for the best, I have no idea how to do that in a Windows enviroment.

If you are going to format You could use Gparted live anyway.
GParted -- Live CD/USB/PXE/HD
Delete the partition on the USB
svo0mt.png

i2iyhz.png

Then you Add a partition and do that funky stuff like NTFS or ext4.
2iuz40n.png

saxv1j.png

hsp56v.png

And the result.
34o6e1g.png

In terminal from Linux.

1. Insert your USB drive into your system.
2. Open the terminal. (CTRL + ALT + T)
3. Look for the USB drive you want to format, by running:

$ df

The name of the drive I am going to format /dev/sdb1.

4. Unmount drive using the command:

$ sudo umount /dev/sdb1

See if you can then clear the partition table, say by copying a bunch of zeros over the first few K

sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb bs=512 count=16

5. Now run this command to format drive to fat32:

$ sudo mkfs.vfat -n 'Ubuntu' -I /dev/sdb1

That was the quick easy way,

Edited by NickAu1, 26 June 2014 - 09:10 PM.

#5 bloopie

bloopie

Bleepin' Sith Turner

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 7,927 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 AM

Posted 26 June 2014 - 08:51 PM

Sorry for the late reply guys, my son was not cooperating this evening!

==========

As far as I know, there is no USB Flash disinfector program for Linux (I could be wrong though). While running Windows, you may disinfect your flashdrive using Flash Disinfector...that would be fine. Here are instructions for running the tool within Windows:

Download Flash_Disinfector.exe by sUBs and save it to your desktop.

• Double-click Flash_Disinfector.exe to run it and follow any prompts that may appear.
  • The utility may ask you to insert your flash drive and/or other removable drives. Please do so and allow the utility to clean up those drives as well.
  • Hold down the Shift key when inserting the drive until Windows detects it to keep autorun.inf from executing if it is present.
  • Wait until it has finished scanning and then exit the program.
  • Reboot your computer when done.

Note: As part of its routine, Flash_Disinfector will create a hidden folder named autorun.inf in each partition and every USB drive that was plugged in when you ran it. Do not delete this folder...it will help protect your drives from future infection by keeping the autorun file from being installed on the root drive and running other malicious files.

========== 

Alternatively, you should not need a USB disinfection utility if you're looking at the flash drive with a Linux OS. Windows and Linux are two completely different cups of tea. :wink:

==========

FlashDisinfector is pretty safe in XP as long as you follow the directions, so I wouldn't worry too much about that. Your system showed no signs of an autorun infection to begin with, so the chances of that happening are extremely low if the proper directions are followed with FlashDisinfector. :)

==========

Again, sorry for the late response, and if you have any questions, please let us know! :thumbup2:

bloopie

EDIT: P.S. Nick's instructions above are good and you shouldn't have much trouble with them either!

Edited by bloopie, 26 June 2014 - 08:52 PM.

#6 pane-free

pane-free

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 26 June 2014 - 08:55 PM

system rescue cd works, too. boot to it and, at the prompt, discover which device your usb stick is--

sudo ls -l /dev/disk/by-id/*usb*

say it is /dev/sdb;  then wipe with zeroes using

sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb bs=4096 conv=notrunc,sync

It's clean! 

Now, format first to a single partition using ext2 file system and gparted, as NickAu1 shows.

Gparted is on SystemRescueCD, as well.  access it by typing startx at the prompt then gparted in yellow-colored window containing another prompt.  Then, whichever file system you desire.

Edited by pane-free, 26 June 2014 - 09:00 PM.

There comes a time in the affairs of man when he must take the bull by the tail and face the situation.
W. C. Fields

#7 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,683 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2014 - 08:55 PM

As far as I know, there is no USB Flash disinfector program for Linux (I could be wrong though)

Same here bloopie thats why i pm'ed you.

I only know how to format.

Thank you pane-free good advice.

Edited by NickAu1, 26 June 2014 - 08:57 PM.

#8 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,262 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2014 - 09:16 AM

Sorry for the late reply guys, my son was not cooperating this evening! 

========== 

Alternatively, you should not need a USB disinfection utility if you're looking at the flash drive with a Linux OS. Windows and Linux are two completely different cups of tea. :wink:  

Again, sorry for the late response, and if you have any questions, please let us know! :thumbup2:

bloopie

EDIT: P.S. Nick's instructions above are good and you shouldn't have much trouble with them either!

No need to apologize bloopie.  

Thanks again Nick, wow it looks like you spent a long time with that!  This is the stuff that I hope to learn in the future, I have saved your post.  I am in the process of trying to save these posts to my favorites.  I have emailed them to myself in the meantime.  I will have to go back to Windows when I can afford because all that Linux jargon is confusing lol.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#9 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,262 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2014 - 09:45 AM

As far as I know, there is no USB Flash disinfector program for Linux (I could be wrong though). While running Windows, you may disinfect your flashdrive using Flash Disinfector...that would be fine. Here are instructions for running the tool within Windows:

• Double-click Flash_Disinfector.exe to run it and follow any prompts that may appear.
  • The utility may ask you to insert your flash drive and/or other removable drives. Please do so and allow the utility to clean up those drives as well.
  • Hold down the Shift key when inserting the drive until Windows detects it to keep autorun.inf from executing if it is present.  This is confusing, I held down the Shift and inserted but nothing happened.  How do I know if Windows has detected it and how long will it take?  I saw no lights flashing on usb or C:Drive.

bloopie

Note Above in RED.

Edited by pcpunk, 27 June 2014 - 11:30 AM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#10 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,262 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2014 - 09:50 AM

• Hold down the Shift key when inserting the drive until Windows detects it to keep autorun.inf from executing if it is present.  This is confusing, I held down the Shift and inserted but nothing happened.  How do I know if Windows has detected it.  I saw no lights flashing on usb or C:Drive.  Looked for instructions elsewhere with no luck.  Hop RED is not viewed as angry lol. just a good contrast I thought. 

bloopie

Note Above in RED.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#11 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,683 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2014 - 05:27 PM

• Hold down the Shift key when inserting the drive until Windows detects it to keep autorun.inf from executing if it is present.  This is confusing, I held down the Shift and inserted but nothing happened.  How do I know if Windows has detected it.  I saw no lights flashing on usb or C:Drive.  Looked for instructions elsewhere with no luck.  Hop RED is not viewed as angry lol. just a good contrast I thought. 

bloopie

Note Above in RED.

No idea we only provide limited support fro windows here. Limited in that we teach you how to download Linux and format windows.

#12 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,262 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2014 - 06:08 PM

Gotcha, I will won't be able to follow the above instructions any time soon lol.

Edited by pcpunk, 27 June 2014 - 06:09 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#13 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,262 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2014 - 09:03 PM

Is there no tool that I can use without all the code and such?  I don't understand why the usb would need to have partitions deleted or repartitioned?  Why is this so complicated, partitions? there should be no partitions on a new usb right, so then why would one have to be deleted?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#14 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,683 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2014 - 09:20 PM

Is there no tool that I can use without all the code and such?

Do What? If you need to format or delete or create a partition you have 3 options.

1 Use Gparted, See my tutorial above.

2 Use the commands in terminal.

3 Use some Windows based tool.

Why is this so complicated, partitions?

Its not really.

there should be no partitions on a new usb right

New usb sticks are already formated to Fat32 or NTFS.  The only reason one would reformat a USB is.

1 there is malware on it.

2 If you are like me, I prefer ext4 to fat or ntfs. As I have no windows machines I do not need fat or ntfs.

Edited by NickAu1, 01 July 2014 - 09:21 PM.

#15 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,262 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2014 - 10:34 PM

See, these terms mean nothing to me:

"Unmount drive using the command:"

"See if you can then clear the partition table, say by copying a bunch of zeros over the first few K"

So I can't just use the USB stick formatter in linuxMintMate?  

To use Gparted I would have to burn a disc and then download or run off disc?

If I can't use the USB Stick Formatter in LMMQ I will follow one of your other options.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users