Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help setting up Virtual Box in XP!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 AM

Posted 26 June 2014 - 12:53 PM

I've never used Virtual Box so I am at a loss.

Our service coordinator recently added a 2nd monitor to system and she wants to run a DOS app (Parts/service software we use "Professional File System") exclusively on the second monitor in full screen mode. Obviously this won't work at present since the full screen mode causes it to show up on both monitors.

I've considered using Virtual Box to run a second XP environment in a window, then connecting to the DOS app (shared on local network) and running it in full screen mode which then the window could be maximized. That is the plan.

So far I have installed VB and created the XP enviroment. Getting the internet to work hasn't gone so well.

Bridging the VB connection to the Ethernet connection kills the connection altogether.

I've tried several tutorials online but so far nothing has worked.

The computer IP is set to autoconfig, currently its 192.168.1.113, gateway is ""1.1. I've set the VB IP to 192.168.1.156 and same gateway. I've set the VB network info the same on both the computer and VB enviroment.

I've tried different attached protocols and nothing has worked.

Help!?

Edited by hamluis, 12 February 2017 - 09:50 AM.
Moved from XP to All Other Applications to VMs - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 26 June 2014 - 09:49 PM

Appears to be multiple posts of the same thing

What i said in earlier post

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/539100/need-help-setting-up-virt-box-in-xp-for-dos-app/#entry3406591

#3 Netghost56

Netghost56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2014 - 08:51 AM

Sorry about the double post- I wasn't sure where to post this exactly.

I've managed to get the internet working, and connected to the server, but I am still not able to use the PFS software.

One thing I had forgotten to do was install the VB Guest Additions- this must have fixed some of the other issues I hadn't seen.

The internet settings I used:

On VM: 

• Attached to "Nat".
  • DHCP enabled (opposite to what I read online)
  • Auto-config IP and DNS
  • Adapter type : Default (PCnet-FAST III)
  • Promiscuous Mode: Allow VMs

On VB Manager:

• Nat Network selected
  • Host-Only E. Adapter selected

On Host:

• Auto-config IP and DNS
  • Bridged connection

Then I took the PFS folder on the server and made it a permanent shared folder on the VM. Now I can select the batch file, and it will give me the main menu, but when I try to start a process- do a records search- it says "Can't find drive".

And to answer your questions:

1. I used the XP setup and used the same serial on the VM as is on the Host computer.

2. Yes. Our coordinator added a second monitor and wants to run the DOS app full screen on the 2nd monitor. This was my possible solution. I'm planning on running this on a USB once I figure it out.

3. Not sure if that's what I need.

4. Never heard of VM Player- if it's lighter on resources than I can definitely benefit. The testing computer I'm using has 2GB RAM and the apps in VB seem to be pretty slow with 512MB allocated. The system I will be setting this up on only has 1GB RAM with XP. It's a Dell Dimension 360.

I've got a win98 iso that I'm going to try next, to see if it will be easier and more efficient to implement. The sole use for the VM here is to run the DOS software.

#4 Netghost56

Netghost56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2014 - 12:42 PM

Still trying to figure out why the DOS app isn't working.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users