Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Internet Access!!!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 michaeloverholt

michaeloverholt

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 26 June 2014 - 12:23 PM

I just purchased a Nexxt Solaris 300 wireless router. It recommends using the cd but my macbook air doesn't have a drive, of course. I am using an ethernet line that my landlord dropped from his router. In Guatemala and that's just how they do it.

1) connected the ethernet from the wall to the router.

2) logged in to the router via browser.

3) set up the router and the only thing I changed was the SSID name and pass key.

Status for the router says that it is connected. My mac is connected to the router but I cannot open a single browser, no internet at all. What could be the cause of this? Thanks in advance for any help with this issue.

While we are here, had to buy the Nexxt because the original d-link DIR-905L that I bought is not working correctly. Pretty much every 15 minutes it resets itself. The power does not go out, it just disconnects from the net and reconnects. Kind of like someone hitting the reset button. Any ideas on that one?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 michaeloverholt

michaeloverholt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2014 - 01:23 PM

A little help please. I am using this d-link and trying to talk to my kids. Every 15 minutes I get disconnected. Some one has to have an idea on what the problem is. Law of averages: 1 in 10 and have 37 views but not one response. Not trying to be pushy, but I have been dealing with this issue for over a week now and I can't seem to get any kind of answer. Thank you.

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,407 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 PM

Posted 26 June 2014 - 03:27 PM

Is the Nexxt getting an IP address from the landlord's line?  I'd be looking at the router settings.

#4 michaeloverholt

michaeloverholt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2014 - 04:36 PM

Yes it has an IP address. And all the settings are factory. It shouldn't be this hard to set up a wireless router. I have done it many times. This is a weird one. Thanks for the response.

#5 michaeloverholt

michaeloverholt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2014 - 05:21 PM

The Nexxt is using the IP address that it came with. Should I change?

#6 briggs&straton

briggs&straton

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2014 - 02:15 PM

make sure your router is on the same network as your landlords router.  ie. landlords router ip 192.168.0.1 then your router needs to be on that same subnet like 192.168.0.100.

#7 uByte

uByte

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2014 - 03:37 PM

It sounds to me that the problem might be further up the wire. I would hook the mac book to the cable you have from your landlord and verify that you are not disconnecting every 15 minutes. Once that is verified then I would look at the router.

I wouldn't recommend that the router be the same subnet as Briggs&Straton suggested. You want separate subnets, if they are the same some routers get confused on where to route the packets (I have seen it before). That being said you want your network to be like 192.168.5.x and lets say your landlords subnet is 192.168.0.x. This way the packet doesn't get dropped or sent down the wrong pipe.

#8 briggs&straton

briggs&straton

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2014 - 06:01 PM

It sounds to me that the problem might be further up the wire. I would hook the mac book to the cable you have from your landlord and verify that you are not disconnecting every 15 minutes. Once that is verified then I would look at the router.

I wouldn't recommend that the router be the same subnet as Briggs&Straton suggested. You want separate subnets, if they are the same some routers get confused on where to route the packets (I have seen it before). That being said you want your network to be like 192.168.5.x and lets say your landlords subnet is 192.168.0.x. This way the packet doesn't get dropped or sent down the wrong pipe.

oh ya, I didnt catch that.  That makes more sense. 

#9 lakyranu

lakyranu

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 AM

Posted 20 July 2014 - 04:56 AM

Hi,

I would be more than happy to help you on the topic but we need to go through the troubleshooting step by step.

First of all connect your laptop with the Ethernet cable directly that comes from the landlord and check whether you are still disconnected from the internet periodically or not and let me know.

and along with this please provide me with the ip address that you are getting on laptop.

Second step would be to connect your router and then connect the laptop through it and check the ip address on the laptop.

please post these details and then we could troubleshoot further.

If you have any questions kindly feel free to ask.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users