Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help setting up Virt Box in XP for DOS app!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 PM

Posted 26 June 2014 - 11:51 AM

I've never used Virtual Box so I am at a loss.

Our service coordinator recently added a 2nd monitor to system and she wants to run a DOS app (Parts/service software we use "Professional File System") exclusively on the second monitor in full screen mode. Obviously this won't work at present since the full screen mode causes it to show up on both monitors.

I've considered using Virtual Box to run a second XP environment in a window, then connecting to the DOS app (shared on local network) and running it in full screen mode which then the window could be maximized. That is the plan.

So far I have installed VB and created the XP enviroment. Getting the internet to work hasn't gone so well.

Bridging the VB connection to the Ethernet connection kills the connection altogether.

I've tried several tutorials online but so far nothing has worked.

The computer IP is set to autoconfig, currently its 192.168.1.113, gateway is ""1.1. I've set the VB IP to 192.168.1.156 and same gateway. I've set the VB network info the same on both the computer and VB enviroment.

I've tried different attached protocols and nothing has worked.

Help!?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 26 June 2014 - 06:19 PM

just a couple of questions here mate,

1: Did you convert the old machine to a virtual before redoign the whole thing from scratch?

2: Are you trying to add a second monitor to the virtual machine to display full screen Dos app?

3: Ive never done it, but you could probably add another graphics adaptor to the vm.

4: I would be using VMWare Player instead of virtual box or if you are willing to pay use VMWare Workstation.

Also i always bridge the conenction so i am not sure why it kills the LAN conenction all together, did you see anythign in eventvwr.msc event log?

#3 Jos Schaars

Jos Schaars

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 03 July 2014 - 04:45 PM

If it’s all just for using your DOS application: try vDos, http://sourceforge.net/projects/vdos/.

Its "full screen" mode is a borderless window, so it could be placed on the second monitor.

No idea why you need an Internet connection for the DOS application.

If you mean a network connection and access to network shares, that should also be no problem.

#4 Netghost56

Netghost56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 PM

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:18 AM

Since I've never messed with VM I decided to set up a full OS VM environment for testing, including an internet connection.

I'm going to check out vDOS! Thanks!

Edited by Netghost56, 07 July 2014 - 08:18 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users