Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

GO Go Go USA, World Cup

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 AM

Posted 26 June 2014 - 11:00 AM

http://img.bleacherreport.net/img/slides/photos/003/276/492/hi-res-7441762_crop_north.jpg?w=630&h=420&q=75
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,318 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 AM

Posted 26 June 2014 - 11:18 AM

Is Coulter finally right (no pun intended) about something?

Huh? Soccer un-American? Ann Coulter thinks so

QUOTE: 

Coulter argues the reason people are watching soccer now is because of Sen. Edward Kennedy's 1965 immigration law.

"I promise you: No American whose great-grandfather was born here is watching soccer," she wrote. "One can only hope that, in addition to learning English, these new Americans will drop their soccer fetish with time."

She also says soccer is not a "real sport." A real sport, she argues, requires individual achievement and "the prospect of either personal humiliation or major injury."

"Do they even have MVPs in soccer? Everyone just runs up and down the field and, every once in a while, a ball accidentally goes in," she wrote.

I actually attended a soccer game once in Ft. Lauderdale.....bored stiff....the same with ice hockey after attending a game in Nashville.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2014 - 12:14 PM

Well...I suppose that you have to live in the right parts of the U.S., as I was fortunate to do :).

I grew up in St. Louis in the 50s-60s...and soccer was big in St. Louis and the surrounding area.  I rember that, one of those years I was in the Army, St. Louis U was NCAA champion, a local JC was the JC champ, and another local school was high in the NAIA championship.  St. Louis U. was dominant in the NCAAs during that era...before other schools embraced soccer as part of the university environment.

The question someone should have asked...what does Ann Coulter know about sports or teamwork or the unselfishness required to play team sports?  But that would be attacking her integrity...and I don't want to do that :).  Her opinions count in my world...on second thought, no, they don't :).

Louis

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,007 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 26 June 2014 - 04:19 PM

Regardless of Ann Coulter's opinion, or indeed of any one else's, congratulations to the US soccer team for making it through to the knockout stages down in sunny Brazil !

Chris Cosgrove

PS  Yes I know, we didn't even make it to Brazil !

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,765 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 AM

Posted 26 June 2014 - 04:19 PM

Too bad Ann Clueless Didn't make this observation when the US women's teams were winning golds. And the players becoming household names.

I'm sure Brandi Chastain would loved to have been called unAmerican 15 years ago. When she inspired so many young girls to take up a team sport.

brandi.jpg

Brandi Chastain changed U.S. soccer, won a World Cup, and took her shirt off

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,318 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2014 - 06:06 PM

The Immigration and Nationality Act of 1965 (enacted June 30, 1968), also known as the Hart–Celler Act, abolished the National Origins Formula that had been in place in the United States since the Emergency Quota Act. It was proposed by Representative Emanuel Celler of New York, co-sponsored by Senator Philip Hart of Michigan, and promoted by Senator Ted Kennedy of Massachusetts.

The House of Representatives voted 320 to 70 in favor of the act, while the Senate passed the bill by a vote of 76 to 18. In the Senate, 52 Democrats voted yes, 14 no, and 1 abstained. Of the Republicans, 24 voted yes, 3 voted no, and 1 abstained. In the House, 202 Democrats voted yes, 60 voted no and 12 abstained, 117 Republicans voted yes, 10 voted no and 11 abstained.  (Today, that would zero...not 117)

The law as it stood then excluded Asians and Africans and preferred northern and western Europeans over southern and eastern ones.

SOURCE: Immigration and Nationality Act of 1965 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2014 - 10:34 AM

Now while I also admit that the soccer game is not my sports favorite... I have played it in school at it is quite a demanding game. I do enjoy this world cup.. I do enjoy the USA competing in it. It is sort of like the Olympics in a way.. A 4 year competition.

The USA team is underdogged at home and abroad. I did not intend to bring up a political debate and I cannot see a sport being un American.
I am glad to see the team advance and now face the Elites of the world league. I think they played quite well and have ashot at the Belgium team as we do have a good mid field game.

Go USA Go Go Go
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,318 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2014 - 11:31 AM

There was an article in my local mullet wrapper this morning about the 'biter' on the Uruguay team.

The penalty seems rather harsh for such a small nip. Seems to me they could of just confirmed

his rabies shots were up to date and just put a muzzle on him.

Edited by buddy215, 27 June 2014 - 11:32 AM.

#9 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2014 - 02:51 PM

Would be a good day for another win... !!!!!!!!!

#10 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,007 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 01 July 2014 - 06:24 PM

Tough luck on going out to Belgium.

My wife, who watched the whole game, said it was a cracking game of football. I got most of the second half on the radio and it was certainly end to end stuff.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#11 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2014 - 10:42 AM

Thanks Chris.. We were beaten by a better team.. I feel a bit bad that we were missing one and they did not start the other.. Our Goalie was outstanding though and overall I feel we at least competed well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users