Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Latitude C400 Not Working Properly

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 nickb

nickb

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 PM

Posted 28 May 2006 - 05:01 PM

Hi guys, urgently need your advice on my mums corrupted laptop. She has to use it for business and is rather important that it doesn't die on her! She has been having problems with it for some time, BSOD's, slow starting up etc. Have run all necessary ad-aware programs and check disk on startup. As to why it is taking so long to start up, i have no idea (should I post a hijack this log somewhere?), ad-aware programs came up clean. Could it be a hardware related issue? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 28 May 2006 - 05:48 PM

http://www.memtest86.com/
go here and download the .iso image, burn it to cd, then boot to it, it will do a software memory test. if you see any bad addresses then you should replace your ram, it is bad

what is the name of your HDD? i would also run a hard drive diagnostic, downloaded specifically from the hardware manufacturer's website.

how is the temperature of the laptop? sometimes when the fans stop running like they should, stuff heats up (cpu), it makes the entire computer sluggish and unreliable, and it will eventuyally damage your system.

try these quickie suggestions, and let us know how u made out!
Google...Google.....browse..read

#3 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 29 May 2006 - 04:30 PM

What version of Windows is on this computer? Dell sold that computer with

Windows 98SE
Windows 2000 Professional
Windows XP Home
Windows XP Professional

on the Latitude C400.

The clue to the reason for the problems is on the blue screens. The BSOD. Microsoft likes to call these Stop Messages. They can occur for many reasons. In order to diagnose it's cause we need as much info as you can give about the stop message. Please write it down and post it back here the next time it happens. In particular, it helps to have the somewhat cryptic series of numbers about half way down the blue screen that have this sort of format:

0x0000008E (Followed by four other sets of numbers in parenthesis.)

For now we only need the first set of numbers (before the parenthesis).

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 29 May 2006 - 04:34 PM.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users