Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Searching for issues...

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 AM

Posted 26 June 2014 - 08:18 AM

When searching for an item, some times you can't be precise/exact on an item.  Of course, first search for the item specifically, then slowly lessen the target of the search.

For example, in another thread, an individual was having problems concerning a temp folder, "Frozen-genpy-27".  I searched for it, and came up with only two results.  The post itself, and another on on McAfee, that was no help.

So I widen my search by using, "Frozen-genpy".  That doubled my results, to four (yahoo) :hysterical: .

But then one of the results pointed to a folder "Frozen-genpy-26", in folder "%Temp%\frozen-genpy-26" (note 1).  Since the information was generated 2014_06_07, 0911 hours, it's a reasonable conclusion to believe that "Frozen-genpy-26" and "Frozen-genpy-27" might be from different versions of the program.

The thing to remember, is as you get more knowledgeable in computers, you should be able to take more abstract concepts, evaluate them, and come to a conclusion.

One thing I suggest, is as you find answers to questions, place them say for instance in a text file, in your own words, and save them.  For instance, a small amount of my notes are:

* (win8)_2014_01_24_windows8_0_post_mortum.txt
* (win8)_2014_02_12_windows8_1_post_mortum.txt
* (win8)_2014_04_10_windows8_1_update_1_post_mortum.txt
* (win8)_2014_04_12a_windows8_1_update_1_post_mortum.txt
* (win8)_2014_04_12b_windows8_1_update_1_post_mortum.txt
* (win8)_2014_04_16_windows8_1_update_1_manual_install_updated.txt
* (win8)_apps_apache_wont_start.txt
* (win8)_apps_what_is_ccc.txt
* (win8)_win_can_not_boot_from_cd.txt
* (win8)_win_grc_leaktest.txt
* (win8)_win_safe_mode_enable_f8_safe_mode.txt
* (win8)_win_stop_pending_updates.txt
* (winx)_win_services_start_stop_disable_command_line.txt

I prefer the format of:

1. Whatever #1.
2. Whatever #2.
3. Whatever #3.
3.1.  Whatever #3, substep #1
3.1.1.  Whatever #3, substep #1, sub-substep #1
3.2.  Whatever #3, substep #3

A substep for example would be doing something in the same location.  Example:

1.  Open a (admin) command window.
2.1.  Enter the command (no quotes): "dir c:\"
2.1.1.  Look at the free space.
2.1.2.  Yell yahoo!

Isn't that easier follow than: "Open up a command window.  Then enter the command, without quotes "dir c:\".  Look at the free space at the bottom, then yell yahoo!"

This groups the steps in a logical, step-by-step order, instead of rambling on endlessly in a paragraph.  It makes it easier to understand individual steps.  When I was in the military, and my jobs since, I've always used this method, and people preferred my instructions over others.  The main reason, is that the person can get lost easier in a rambling paragraph, when it comes to instructions, than in a numbered list.

Personally, I have no issue with people confirming what I tell others.  They could possibly see things in a different light.  Once all the information is pulled together, the individual using the information then decides what's best for them, or puts the stuff together to reach their own conclusion.

I've had times that I might see whatever as "A", but another person sees it as "A.1" or "B", and although the result is the same, the information "A.1" or "B" may never came up before for me and bingo, I learned something else new/another thing to look for.  I've learned things here! :bananas: :bounce:

As you become more comfortable with computers, and your knowledge increases, you'll be able to take abstract issues, and conclude what is going on.  For instance:

1.  "A" is happening, and it looks something like "B" (a previous problem).
2.  "C" caused "D", which looks a lot like "B".
3.  "B" is similiar to "A".
4.  Fixed "A" with a slight change in that was needed to fix "B", based on information "E".
5.  Everything is AOK.

Notes:
1.  At the command prompt:
1.1.  Enter (no guotes): "echo %Temp%"
1.2.  Enter (no guotes): "echo %Tmp%"
1.3.  This will give you the default, temporary directories as the system knows them.  Normally their the same thing.

Have a great day!

Edited by scotty_ncc1701, 26 June 2014 - 08:19 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users