Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Computer: Outlook and Firefox Questions: how to import

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Hal06

Hal06

• Members
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 26 June 2014 - 08:01 AM

Hello. I have an HP running Windows Vista and Office 2007. I just bought an HP running Windows 7 along with Office 2013.

1. How do I set up office to import all my stored email? My pst file is in documents that I copied from the old computer to the new one. I guess I need to redirect Outlook 2013 to that pst file and use it. How do I do that?

2. How do I import my bookmarks from Firefox? Where are they stored on my old computer?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 AM

Posted 26 June 2014 - 09:11 AM

I don't use Outlook, but here's how to do the Firefox part.  Hold down CTRL and SHIFT and press B.  That opens the Bookmarks window.  There you click the Import and Backup button, click Backup... and you'll get the window for saving.  Change the destination folder to your flash drive or a networked folder, take it to the new computer and do the same process changing from the Backup... button to the Restore button.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 Hal06

Hal06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2014 - 09:55 AM

Thanks.

#4 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,164 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2014 - 03:11 PM

As for importing the .pst into Outlook, under File, go to Open & Export, and use the Import/Export options to naviage to wherever you saved the .pst file, and import it.

#5 Tendoncs

Tendoncs

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2014 - 04:33 PM

What email service do you use? I would not use outlook as the only place I store copies of emails that are important. PST files have a high rate of corrupting. If you want to help I would love to help.

If you have a hard time following Hal you can follow this.

This however will not import your recent history of emails sent to. Like when you start to type an email and it offers emails you have sent to before. Do you need this too? Or do you need your address book? Let me know I would love to help.

#6 Hal06

Hal06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2014 - 02:54 PM

So I now have in my Outlook 2013 on the new Windows 7 computer three different groups of email boxes, each with its own inbox, etc. Can I copy and paste all emails into one group and then delete the other two?

Thanks.

#7 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,164 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2014 - 02:59 PM

Depends. Are those three email boxes for separate email accounts? Are those email accounts active?

If they represent separate, active email accounts, you can transfer emails between folders, but that will move the email from one email account to the other. And you don't want to delete those folders if you still use those accounts and have them connected to Outlook.

If, however, they represent archived emails and those email accounts are no longer in use, then yes, you can drag and drop, then delete the folders.

#8 Hal06

Hal06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2014 - 03:07 PM

Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users