Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

no boot device

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 motusman

motusman

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 PM

Posted 26 June 2014 - 04:53 AM

Hiya all...

I recently bought a used micro atx MB with an AMD A4-5000 processor (quad core)

As the wiring from my tower & power supply didn't fit I had it sorted by a electronics technician.  I had to change the graphics card as the one supplied was dead.

My problem is that, despite the BIOS telling me there is a hard drive and a dvd player attached, when I boot up I get the message:

"Reboot and select proper boot device. Insert boot media in selected device and press a key"

I have it set up to boot from dvd as I want to do a clean install of windows. I have changed the sata cables, checked both the hard drive and dvd player work in another machine but still no joy.

Anyone have any idea of what the problem could be please?

Below is the information from the BIOS if it's of any help...

System BIOS; Version P11-A4, Build date; 9/17/2013

Processor: AMD A4-5000 with Raedon HD Graphics

Core frequency 1.50Ghz, Count 4

memory 12288 MB

Product name; imedia S2185, System s/n; DTGEKEK013349079683000, Baseboard S/N: DBGEKCN002348830E630A1

ADVANCED;

Miscellaneous; AHCI Port 0, WDC WD3000JS-63PDB1, AHCI Port 1, Optiarc DVD RW AD-7280S

If you require any other information please ask :mellow:

Many thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 AM

Posted 26 June 2014 - 06:07 AM

In the process of elimination set your boot order back to default

Does the computer boot to the hard drive on your computer like its supposed to? 

If so then insert a known working DVD disc into the DVD tray on your computer and see if it works ok

On the OS disc, you need to ensure the computer operates ok first

Edit: you have just a little over 1 GB RAM; what OS are you trying to install?

Edited by cmptrgy, 26 June 2014 - 06:15 AM.

#3 motusman

motusman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2014 - 10:04 AM

Hi cmptrgy

Yes, I've reset it back to Default but it still won't boot to either the hard drive or the DVD player

The memory amount should read GB, I have 12Gb RAM (8Gb & 4Gb) DDR3

I shall be installing Windows XP as it will only be used for photo processing and on-site printing. I need XP for ease of networking to 3 laptops....

#4 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2014 - 11:22 AM

Sorry about not reading the memory correctly; that was an easy one to know

So back to your hard drive and and DVD drive

It sounds like you just replaced the installed MB with the used micro atx MB

Is there a reason you had to replace the MB?

Was that same hard drive being used and did it work ok?

On the DVD drive, was it working ok back then?

#5 motusman

motusman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2014 - 12:36 PM

Ok, I had better go back a step to explain :-)

Last year I had a superb MB with a 12 core processor, and 12Gb Ram...working out in a field with a generator, I had a power surge which burnt out the power supply unit and it fried the MB * processor, over £500 down the pan.

I bought this MB three weeks ago and have been assured by the previous owner that it is fully functioning. I've fitted it to the original tower, added the memory, bought a new PSU and had to have some of the leads (mainly from the front of the tower) adapted to fit the on board connectors. The hard drive and dvd player were in the original PC. I checked the HD in my home PC and after confirming it worked I formatted it and fitted it in the 'new' pc. After replacing the graphics card it booted up but as explained previously, it won't 'see' the HD & DVD to allow me to install a new OS, yet the BIOS recognises them...I find it very confusing...

I have also checked the sata leads and they work ok...

Edited by motusman, 26 June 2014 - 12:38 PM.

#6 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 PM

Posted 26 June 2014 - 01:49 PM

I'm assuming you have done the basics - set the boot order in BIOS to boot from the DVD drive first, and put a bootable CD in the drive (e.g. genuine Windows XP CD)?

Here's a random issue I ran into with the latest system I put together.  It caused me a bit of confusion at first...  My SATA optical drive (it was an Optiarc, a few years old) would not work properly if the SATA controller was set to AHCI.  Setting the controller to IDE mode would allow it to work correctly.  However, as I was using an SSD for the main drive, I needed to use AHCI, so I fitted a spare (newer) Samsung DVD drive I had and that worked fine in AHCI mode.

I just wonder, is your SATA controller set to AHCI mode and if so, I would suggest trying IDE instead.  I see your first post mentions AHCI which is why I mention this.

BTW that 12 Gb will go to waste on Windows XP (unless you happen to be using a x64 version).  The OS can only see up to 4Gb total memory.

7sbvuf-6.png

#7 motusman

motusman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2014 - 02:10 PM

Hi jon

Yes, I have set the BIOS to boot from DVD and inserted a genuine disc..I have both XP and 7. The reason I want XP is that I am having loads of problems with networking 3 laptops all running 7..it was suggested that XP would be a lot easier...

I believe that originally the BIOS was set to IDE mode and again, following a suggestion, I changed it to AHCI. It hasn't made any difference. However, I now seem unable to reset it as I can't see the option. Possibly I'm looking in the wrong place lol Is it in Advanced under Miscellaneous?

A quad core should give me the option of running x64 bit, not sure whether my version of XP does it though, tis a few years since I bought it...

Very puzzling isn't it??

#8 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,091 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2014 - 02:35 PM

Yes they certainly can be!!

I'm afraid I don't know where the setting will be in your particular BIOS as they vary a lot.  It could be under "Advanced", "Chipset Features" or maybe "Peripherals" off the top of my head but that's a total stab in the dark.

The A4 processor can run 64bit software no problem.  However, if you install a 32bit OS, the OS itself is the limiting factor - it will only see 4Gb.  Windows XP Professional was available in a rarely used x64 version.  But the vast majority XP copies sold were the 32bit version.  64bit desktop OS's didn't really take off until Vista arrived.

PS basic file and printer sharing shouldn't be too difficult on Windows 7.  At the most basic a "Homegroup" is normally easy to set up.

Edited by jonuk76, 26 June 2014 - 02:43 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#9 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2014 - 02:36 PM

jon might have a better idea to get back to ide, but see if this is helpful

http://www.ehow.com/how_6944607_change-sata-ide-bios.html

I'm not sure if this can be a factor in your issue but it does seem your used MB is a 64-bit system

--- But if your OS disc is 32-bit I don't know whether or not that will try to install

BTW, maybe I missed it, but instead of starting your computer with the install disc in the DVD tray, maybe you should start the computer up without the install disc in and see if it wants to "set up" for your used MB computer

--- Do you have a set up disc for the used MB?

#10 motusman

motusman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2014 - 04:59 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I may have to install Win 7 then to take advantage of the x64, I need the speed and memory for processing large photo files...

I don't have the start up disc for the MB, in fact I don't even have any drivers yet lol but I paid for a piece of software that will get them, hopefully.

I'll have a look tomorrow for the IDE change and try without the disc....

I have tried setting up a Network using my home PC (Win 7) but the laptops see the PC but tell me they can't communicate, despite having everything else set up correctly..

Ah well, I'm fed up with it now so shall hit the sack and try again tomorrow, hopefully I'll be able to report back with some good news and let you know what was causing the problem....

Cheers, Martin

#11 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2014 - 05:38 PM

"I don't have the start up disc for the MB, in fact I don't even have any drivers yet"

--- Yes get them. You might need a USB external optical drive if you can't get the MB disc

" I have tried setting up a Network using my home PC (Win 7) but the laptops see the PC but tell me they can't communicate"

--- That's an additional issue but we need more info; how many computers? Are all of them Windows 7?

--- What is your ISP modem/router unit? Is there an additional wireless router involved?

--- What is the exact message that indicates "they can't communicate?

#12 motusman

motusman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2014 - 09:40 AM

I don't have a problem with the MB now......it just died!!

I took it back to the electronics engineer (not the person I bought it off) and he was as puzzled as me as to why it wouldn't work properly. He changed the hardware (HD / DVD), replaced the sata leads, swapped configuration in the BIOS etc until it just stopped working. He then got his test meter out and noticed the readings were going all over the place, so he changed the power supply, got a constant readout (5 V?) and decided the MB had shorted so now I don't have a problem with it LOL

The original seller isn't going to be happy, he swore blind it was fully functioning when he sold it. I think the engineers report may well make him change his mind!!

Now I have to search again for another board with a minimum of a quad processor and that will take DDR3 memory....without having to pay a fortune...

Thank you all for your assistance and comments, they were really appreciated :thumbup2:  :thumbup2:  :thumbup2:

I'll have to get back to you Larry re the networking problem, I can't remember what it said but I will have to take my home pc to the van and connect it all up so may be a few days yet as I'm out shooting motocross all weekend...

Martin

#13 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2014 - 10:53 AM

May I recommend considering a refurbished Windows 7 computer?

I have bought some for some of my friends based on their needs and they are all happy with what they got especially for the price

You can check out Wal-Mart, Staples, TigerDirect etc.

I also use discountpc.net (arrowdirect.com)

#14 motusman

motusman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2014 - 11:45 AM

Cheers for that suggestion Larry, unfortunately I live in the UK so don't have these stores, but do have plenty of others similar...I'll take a look early next week, need to get my money back yet for the MB...

However, I've seen a bundle on fleabay uk which looks good, AMD Sempron,quad core, takes DDR3 and under £70 brand new...$120...3 year warranty so can't be that bad...or can it? LOL

#15 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,091 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2014 - 12:48 PM

Could be one of those too good to be true moments.  Got a link to the listing?  AMD never made a Sempron quad core as far as I'm aware...  Only new Sempron branded chips I see for sale right now are single core Sempron 145's.

EDIT My apologies.  On further checks of a few retailers, it looks like one of the new AM1 "Kabini" quad core APU's has Sempron branding (Sempron 3850 1.3Ghz).  Although it's quad core, don't expect that to equal great performance.

For about the same money you could get a Pentium G3220 (dual core Haswell, 3.0Ghz) with a basic motherboard - http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/YKDy4D

Or sticking with the AM1 processors, and Athlon 5350 (quad core Kabini, 2.05Ghz) with motherboard - http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/bZ8tWZ

Or pushing the budget a bit, an Athlon X4 740 (quad core, 3.2Ghz) with motherboard - http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/wy36D3

Of these the Athlon X4 740 is the highest performance, followed by the Pentium, followed by the Athlon 5350. Benchmarks here.  Note the Athlon X4 needs a graphics card (no integrated GPU) - the Pentium and the Kabini CPU's have integrated graphics.

Edited by jonuk76, 27 June 2014 - 01:41 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users