Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Advice On Fans

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Pilkington

Chris Pilkington

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 PM

Posted 26 June 2014 - 04:07 AM

Hey everyone, thanks for reading. Last September i purchased this from a company nearby VIBOX FLASH-FX ★ AMD FX 8-CORE ATI HD 7950 2TB 16GB HIGH SPEC GAMING PC COMPUTER | eBay

it includes a 
AMD Bulldozer FX-8350 4.0GHz Eight Core CPU
16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz Gaming RAM
2TB Hard Drive Storage Space
AMD Radeon R9 290 4GB Graphics Card
High Performance USB3 Motherboard
DVD RW Optical Drive
Syclone 2 Gaming Case (they had to change it for me) 

XFX 55ow 80+ psu

I bought it to play games on and i have a big problem when doing this, the fans are extremely loud when i have the games on the higher graphics. Now of course i know they will have to run higher to compensate and i believe it is the graphics card fan that is making all the noise as its running higher. The problem is it can get so loud sometimes i can't even hear my games! I was wondering what everyone had for ideas which could help my problem because surely people have top end computers to play games and don't have a computer which is so loud they can't hear their game? 

Thanks again and i hope to hear from you guys soon clear.png 

As an added note on auto the graphics card goes to 100% speed at around 55 degrees but my room is only small so i didn't want to change it to much different to that in case it overheatred. i understand that the fan will get louder as it gets hotter and i think its the graphics card fan that is the loud one as the fans on the actual machine are pretty quiet. when looking at the heat the card gets to when its on 100% it can get to around 70-80 degrees when i'm playing games on the ultra setting.

From talking to other people they have said to decrease the speed at which the fan can get too, but i don't do it below around 70-80% as it would get too high. They have then said to get extra fans, 140mm i believe?

I have no idea about fans really and if this case can hold more or what size i should get and which ones to get, the main aim is to have everything as quiet as possible to play games on so any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 26 June 2014 - 04:36 AM

G'day mate, the system built for you might be using the AMD stock cooler is well know and documented for it's notorious loud fan but also high temperatures too. But before you go buying fans, we want to verify that the other components like the CPU fan is making loud noises during load and is it possible if you could take a photo of the interior of the system?

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 Chris Pilkington

Chris Pilkington
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2014 - 04:46 AM

Thanks for the reply :), at the moment i am in work and won't be able to take a photo until i get back around 6 oclock UK time and then i will. What i have noticed is the computer is generally quiet and then when i play a high spec game which has good graphics. It begins to run very loud. There is a fan at the back i have noticed which always runs the same and isn't that loud so it made me think it was the graphics card fan as that is the one i think you can change the speed of so the max is runs on auto can be changed. Like i said though, i am quite a 'noob' when it comes to internal parts of the computer. I had to send it back a month ago aswell as the power supply blew up in my face on the back of the pc! They tested it thoroughly and it works fine now though (apart from the loud fan when i play games) ...i can't say i'm 100% its the graphics card fan though but i'm guessing you all know more than me!

#4 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2014 - 05:01 AM

Also when you get home, download HW Monitor and leave it open while you start playing a high spec game for 30 minutes. Then take a screenshot of HW monitor and everything else in it and upload it on your next post.

Edited by killerx525, 26 June 2014 - 06:22 AM.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#5 Chris Pilkington

Chris Pilkington
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2014 - 05:04 AM

okay will do!

#6 Chris Pilkington

Chris Pilkington
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2014 - 01:40 PM

Here are some pics of my comp. i'll be doing the HW thing soon. Sorry if some pics are blurred. Shaky hand haha. So any advice guys?

Attached Files

• Attached File  1.jpg   105.64KB   2 downloads
  • Attached File  2.jpg   84.08KB   1 downloads
  • Attached File  3.jpg   117.93KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  4.jpg   108.14KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  5.jpg   95.76KB   1 downloads

#7 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 AM

Posted 30 June 2014 - 05:11 PM

most likely the high noise is the cpu fan. it looks like stock getup, which is fine for casual pc use, but when the gears shift and the PC is under load, it will get noisy. also, your motherboard northbridge is another consideration that might need cooling apparatus. speccy is a heat monitor utility that will tell you a few more details like the northbridge temperature, it is plainly called "motherboard" temperature and it is listed seperately from the cpu temperature. the northbridge can be easily located as it has a heat spreader on it

there are great options for this config which aren't very expensive. there are aftermarket air coolers with the multiple copper heatpipes and lateral fan vector which aims the heat straight at the rear case exhaust fan for efficiency., and there are liquid cooling options also for the user that is tweaking the cpu hertz for that extra push over the cliff.

http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/cpu-cooler/#sort=a6&c=4&R=5

this is the aftermarket air cooling i use...

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4197086

although i am not an amd cpu user,  most aftermarket cpu cooling solutions fit a modular array of motherboard cpu socket types.  then the other consideration is the interior space  available inside the case and the motherboard fan pin socket provisions.

regarding the r9 290  fan (s), you can install MSI Afterburner and manually tweak the fan speed on the r9 290 to be able to listen for it and determine if that is contributing to the decibel level.. there are aftermarket gpu cooling solutions but i really don't know about that angle and considering the relatively short time the 290 has been in circulation, i can't be sure.

Edited by synergy513, 30 June 2014 - 05:54 PM.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#8 Chris Pilkington

Chris Pilkington
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2014 - 05:52 PM

Do you think this seems like a good replacement? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zalman-CNPS9700-LED-CNPS9700-led-Cooler/dp/B000JSFZPS/ref=sr_1_7?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1404168442&sr=1-7&keywords=cpu+cooling+fan

#9 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,018 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2014 - 06:14 PM

it would definitely be better than what is currently deployed.  i see three heatpipes that act like 6 and it looks like the type that will aim the heat towards the massive rear case exhaust fan.  will it fit your am3+ socket though? that is a detail that is first priority. judging from the photos, you have ample interior space to fit that cooler, but measure to be certain.

another thing, thermal compound medium is of concern. it will have to be done over. the existing stuff has to be removed and new compound has to be applied. everyone recommends arctic silver 5. i wonder if it is because of novelty or if it is really good stuff, you get a tube of zalman material with the cooler, one can't be sure if it is good stuff without some level of research.

Edited by synergy513, 30 June 2014 - 06:27 PM.

#10 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 30 June 2014 - 06:43 PM

The GPU cooler does not look like a reference design, it looks like one of XFX's upgraded coolers so it shouldn't be too noisy.  I wouldn't mess with it.

As already said AMD's stock cooler for the CPU is notoriously loud when pushed hard as it will spin to over 5000 rpm.  That's not going to be quiet..

Yes those Zalman's are fairly solid performers, but that is an older model and can get noisy if the fan gets near full speed, which is 2800 rpm (it's not as bad as the AMD HSF however).  This or this would be quieter and also better performers.

Hopefully your case has a cut out to give access to the underside of the motherboard by the CPU as you will likely need to access the rear of the board to fit large air coolers.

7sbvuf-6.png

#11 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,018 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2014 - 06:58 PM

it looks like the ...........

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

will fit up with your am3+ socket, thanks for contributing jonuk.

#12 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2014 - 07:32 PM

As the others have mentioned, the source of noise is most likely from the CPU cooler and the Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo is a awesome cooler for the price and performance. I'd still download HW Monitor and then fire up your game for 30 minutes to see what are the temperatures are like but also it will show the RPM of the fans hence determining the source of the noise.

>Michael 

#13 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,018 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2014 - 07:42 PM

i remember hwmonitor is good, but everytime i try to crank it up, it won't load. i think it is because i already have SIW loaded or something.  oh yes, now i remember, it gives a history with max and min ..  so it won't load up if another monitor is already in session maybe.. cpu-z is another that might provide additional information..

katy perry is playing live here tonight......eat your heart out!

Edited by synergy513, 30 June 2014 - 07:43 PM.

#14 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2014 - 07:55 PM

cpu-z is another that might provide additional information..

CPU-Z just provides lot of information about the CPU itself and some basic information for the other components like motherboard and Ram but no temperatures unfortunately.

katy perry is playing live here tonight......eat your heart out!

Wow, didn't know she was touring in Florida at this time! She's coming down for her first show in Melbourne on the 14th of November which is perfect timing as i just about finished up my final year exams and my seats are pretty good :D

Edited by killerx525, 30 June 2014 - 07:55 PM.

>Michael 

#15 Chris Pilkington

Chris Pilkington
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2014 - 03:52 AM

Thanks so much guys for all the fantastic advice. What i'm doing to do is purchase the cooler master hyper 212 evo off amazon and replace my old cpu cooler and hopefully that will make a big difference. On an added note synergy mentioned the thermal compound medium, a stupid question probably but what is this? What do i have to do with this when replacing the cpu cooling fan? I'm guessing the replacing of the fan isnt as easy and taking one out and putting the new one in haha. Does anyone recommend getting anything else for the case or doing anything aswell as purchasing the cooler master?

Thanks again for everyone's help!

As an added note, i will be running games on the highest graphics and i want to be sure this one will fit and be good enough to do everything i need, so all advice on everything is much appreciated like you've been doing. If no one has any reason i shouldn't get this then i'll be purchasing it today :D

Someone has also mentioned to me You can use (room permitting) two fans on the Hyper 212 EVO push/pull system. Any advice on this? 

Edited by Chris Pilkington, 01 July 2014 - 04:41 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users