Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Soca ransomware: unable to boot from USB?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 Jamie99

Jamie99

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 PM

Posted 26 June 2014 - 02:50 AM

Hi,

Cross posted from here:http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/539032/soca-ransomware-unable-to-boot-from-usb/

I am currently trying to remove the Soca ransomware from my netbook. It is a Samsung Nc110. I've downloaded the HitmanPro virus scanner onto a bootable USB stick. However, it seems that the NC110 does not like to boot from the USB without fiddling in the BIOS. I've fiddled a bit and changed it so that booting from USB should be first priority, but whenever I go to the Boot Screen by holding Esc at startup, it doesn't detect the USB stick. I'm sure there's so,etching very obvious eluding me... Help!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-serios-organised-crim-agency-ransomware

Update: I followed the guidance, but where I am stuck is booting with a USB from the Bios screen, as described above. It seems to be a particular problem for the samsung Nc110 netbook. Any ideas? Apologies as I am not sure which forum this is most suitable for!

Edited by Jamie99, 26 June 2014 - 02:50 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 TB-Psychotic

TB-Psychotic

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,349 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2014 - 04:55 AM

Hi there,
my name is Marius and I will assist you with your malware related problems.

Before we move on, please read the following points carefully.

• First, read my instructions completely. If there is anything that you do not understand kindly ask before proceeding.
  • Perform everything in the correct order. Sometimes one step requires the previous one.
  • If you have any problems while following my instructions, Stop there and tell me the exact nature of your problem.
  • Do not run any other scans without instruction or add/remove software unless I tell you to do so. This would change the output of our tools and could be confusing for me.
  • Post all logfiles as a reply rather than as an attachment unless I specifically ask you. If you can not post all logfiles in one reply, feel free to use more posts.
  • If I don't hear from you within 3 days from this initial or any subsequent post, then this thread will be closed.
  • Stay with me. I will give you some advice about prevention after the cleanup process. Absence of symptoms does not always mean the computer is clean.
  • My first language is not english. So please do not use slang or idioms. It could be hard for me to read. Thanks for your understanding.

Kaspersky Windows Unlocker

• Download Kaspersky Rescue Disk (iso)
  • Burn it to a cd or dvd, if you need a program to burn an ISO...use Active@ ISO Burner
  • Configure your computer to boot from CD/DVD
  • Note : If you do not know how to set your computer to boot from CD/DVD follow the steps here
  • Once you have the cd/DVD created, boot the computer up using it
  • Press any key to enter the menu
  • Select your language
  • Press 1 to accept the End User License Agreement
  • Select Kaspersky Rescue Disk. Graphic Mode
  • Click on the Start button located in the left bottom corner of the screen
  • Run Kaspersky WindowsUnlocker to remove Windows system and registry changes made by Metropolitan Police Virus Note: If you can't find Kaspersky WindowsUnlocker, go to Terminal instead > type > windowsunlocker > choose 1 - Unlock Windows > Enter

krd5.jpg

• When it's done, click on the Start button and start Kaspersky Rescue Disk utility
  • Click on My Update Center tab and press Start to download the latest update
  • Next, select the Object Scan tab
  • Put a check next to C:\ and any other local drives
  • Then click Start Objects Scan
  • Quarantine any malware found
  • Restart your computer and see if it boots up normally.

Proud Member of UNITE & TB

My help is free, however, if you want to support my fight against malware, click here --> btn_donate_SM.gif <--(no worries, every little bit helps)

#3 TB-Psychotic

TB-Psychotic

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,349 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2014 - 04:04 AM

Due to the lack of feedback, this topic is now closed.

In the event you still have problems, please send me or any Moderator a Private Message and ask them to reopen this topic within the next 5 days.

Please include a link to your topic in the Private Message. Thank you.
Proud Member of UNITE & TB

My help is free, however, if you want to support my fight against malware, click here --> btn_donate_SM.gif <--(no worries, every little bit helps)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users