Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

trying to boot ubuntu onto older seanix pc

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 davey crockett

davey crockett

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 AM

Posted 26 June 2014 - 12:21 AM

Hi - I've been fighting trying to get Ubuntu to start up on my old xp professional os. I have Ubuntu 14.04 on a flash drive and also on dvd. The machine will not let me boot off of either, says that the function is disabled and it wont allow me to change that field. Does anyone here no if this problem can be resolved - short of a mit whizz doing it in 5 milliseconds? Maybe I am missing a step, maybe the usb is not bootable, not sure - any help greatly appreciated.

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 26 June 2014 - 03:22 AM.
Moved to Linux section

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,792 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 26 June 2014 - 12:40 AM

Hi davey

Just a little bit more info please.

Pc type/processor, Ram, What Ubuntu, 32 or 64 bit?

Is your Pc set to boot from USB or DVD in bios?

it wont allow me to change that field.

Where in bios?

maybe the usb is not bootable

How did you burn the ISO to USB? Unetbooting is good. Is the USB flag set as boot? How did you format it? Eg ext4?

Edited by NickAu1, 26 June 2014 - 12:49 AM.

#3 davey crockett

davey crockett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2014 - 10:36 AM

Thanks - its an old Pentium 4 CPU, 2.4 Ghz, 1.5GB ram. Original OS is xp professional version 2002 - 32 bit. So I have been in the bios under the boot column. When I click on removable device to select it as first for the boot order, it just stays on disabled. It will not allow me to enable. The Ubuntu version is 32 bit. As far as the usb, I downloaded it to my laptop and then xferred it to the stick. I formatted the flash drive under the NTFS heading before installing the os.

Edited by davey crockett, 26 June 2014 - 10:48 AM.

#4 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 26 June 2014 - 12:21 PM

Here's the documented way to create a bootable flash drive with Ubuntu:

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/create-a-usb-stick-on-windows

If you have a CD/DVD drive, you could also burn Ubuntu to a DVD and boot from it.

Also most computers have a key you can press when you first boot up that'll give you a boot menu where you can select where you want to boot from.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,792 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2014 - 05:43 PM

Read this also

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16822/boot-from-a-usb-drive-even-if-your-bios-wont-let-you/

#6 davey crockett

davey crockett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2014 - 06:24 PM

Thanks the link you sent refers to some older pcs which still have floppy drives (like mine!) I will let you know how it goes. Unfortunately I don't have a super geek hat - I will have to find one.. :tophat:

Edited by davey crockett, 26 June 2014 - 06:28 PM.

#7 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,792 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2014 - 09:19 PM

You could try installing grub4dos to floppy. This may allow you to boot from USB. After grub boots you should be able to select the USB.

358bdhl.jpg

GRUB Install using "rawrite" or "dd" to floppy disk

I downloaded it to my laptop and then xferred it to the stick

Please explain. You xferred it? Is this some kind of software that "Burns"an ISO to usb and makes it bootable?

Edited by NickAu1, 26 June 2014 - 10:15 PM.

#8 bmike1

bmike1

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 28 June 2014 - 02:59 AM

isn't Ubuntu only 64 bit now?  For your old hardware I recommend a light weight distro. Try MX14. 

A/V Software? I don't need A/V software. I've run Linux since '98 w/o A/V software and have never had a virus. I never even had a firewall until '01 when I began to get routers with firewalls pre installed. With Linux if a vulnerability is detected a fix is quickly found and then upon your next update the vulnerability is patched.  If you must worry about viruses  on a Linux system only worry about them in the sense that you can infect a windows user. I recommend Linux Mint or, if you need a lighter weight operating system that fits on a cd, MX14 or AntiX.

#9 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,792 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2014 - 03:07 AM

isn't Ubuntu only 64 bit now?

No. See here.

Download Ubuntu Desktop | Download | Ubuntu

#10 davey crockett

davey crockett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2014 - 10:44 PM

I finally gave in and am just continuing to use xp. My floppy drive is unresponsive. Oddly enough, I went to an upgraded browser and the pc is running fine still on xp. So far no complaints from my isp that I am pinging spam. My two bits - I suspect ole money bags gates stopped supporting this program because it was not spyware friendly enough.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users