There is a very useful GNU/Linux command line tool called "foremost" which is able to recover data regardless of the partition table being damaged etc. It works great by itself. However, it is a bit outside my knowledge on how to expand this useful tool and make it even more useful.
I'm sure someone here might be able to help though.
1) According to the manpage: http://linux.die.net/man/1/foremost
* "/etc/foremost.conf" can be expanded to include more formats!
2) I found a huge list of so-called magic numbers/file signatures: www.garykessler.net/library/file_sigs.html
3) Why has no one combined these lists and made foremost an even more powerful free and open-source recovery tool?
* How might one do this?
* Could you provide some examples or port this list over?
Edited by G4JC, 25 June 2014 - 10:35 PM.