Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Help building a better foremost.conf

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Guest_G4JC_*

Guest_G4JC_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 25 June 2014 - 10:34 PM

Hello All,

There is a very useful GNU/Linux command line tool called "foremost" which is able to recover data regardless of the partition table being damaged etc. It works great by itself. However, it is a bit outside my knowledge on how to expand this useful tool and make it even more useful.

I'm sure someone here might be able to help though.

1) According to the manpage: http://linux.die.net/man/1/foremost

* "/etc/foremost.conf" can be expanded to include more formats!

2) I found a huge list of so-called magic numbers/file signatures: www.garykessler.net/library/file_sigs.html

3) Why has no one combined these lists and made foremost an even more powerful free and open-source recovery tool? :thumbup2:

* How might one do this?

* Could you provide some examples or port this list over?

Thank you.

Edited by G4JC, 25 June 2014 - 10:35 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users