Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hidden microphone in my desktop?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 montboyd18

montboyd18

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 PM

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:49 PM

I have just discovered that my ACER desktop has a microphone in it that is not acknowledged in the specs.  I can make recordings without a microphone plugged into the jack.  Judging by the background noise I figure it is on the Realtec HD embedded HD sound-card.  Why would they do this?  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 montboyd18

montboyd18
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:57 PM

Here are the specs

Operating System Operating System Windows 8.1 Number of Processors Supported Number of Processors Install 1 Processor Manufacturer Intel Processor Type Celeron Processor Model J1900 Processor Core Quad core (4-core) Processor Speed 2 GHz Cache 2 MB 64-bit Processing Yes Memory Standard Memory 4 GB Maximum Memory 8 GB Memory Technology DDR3 SDRAM Number of Total Memory Slots 2 Memory Card Reader Yes Memory Card Supported Secure Digital™ (SD) Storage Number of Hard Drives 1 Total Hard Drive Capacity 500 GB Hard Drive Interface Serial ATA Hard Drive RPM 7200 Number of Optical Drives 1 Optical Drive Type DVD-Writer Optical Media Supported DVD-RAM/±R/±RW Controllers Controller Type SATA Display & Graphics Graphics Controller Manufacturer Intel Graphics Controller Model HD graphics Network & Communication Ethernet Technology Gigabit I/O Expansions Number of External 5.25" Bays 1 Number of 3.5" Bays 1 Number of Total Expansion Slots 1 Number of Mini PCI Express Slots 1 Input Devices Keyboard Yes Pointing Device Type Mouse Interfaces/Ports HDMI Yes Number of USB 3.0 Ports 1 Number of USB 2.0 Ports 4 Total Number of USB Ports 5 Network (RJ-45) Yes VGA Yes Software Operating System Windows 8.1 Operating System Architecture 64-bit Power Description Maximum Power Supply Wattage 220 W Physical Characteristics Case Style Stylish and classic small-form factor design Height 3.94" Width 14.55" Depth 10.49" Weight (Approximate) 11.3 lbs. Miscellaneous Package Contents Aspire AXC-603G-UW30 Desktop, USB keyboard and optical mouse, AC power cord Warranty Warranty

#3 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 PM

Posted 26 June 2014 - 12:50 PM

Have you plugged in a webcam or a headset that is usb? I have never heard of a desktop coming with a mic built into the mainboard and research doesn't show anything related to your model about a built in mic. Nearly all modern webcams have mic's built in.

If you right click on your volume icon and click recording devices what is listed there? It would need to be on and set as the default device. You can double click on the device then click properties and check the "listen" box to possibly help locate the mic.

Edited by zingo156, 26 June 2014 - 12:53 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#4 montboyd18

montboyd18
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2014 - 10:30 PM

OK I figured it out...

I had a headset plugged in in the back using 3.5 mm jacks  that I was not using much anymore. 

Thanks for the response.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users