Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

need help advanced boolean searching query syntax

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bhl

bhl

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:40 PM

I'm trying to locate some photos that somehow got misfiled.  I never renamed them so they have the camera default name which is no help.  I know they were downloaded in May.  That's the only thing I'm sure of.  I understand syntax searching can be used with boolean logic, but the MS Search tool sux and the MS information has nada that I can easily find.

What I need to run is find (*.jpg or *.RAW) and date is between 5/13/2014 and 5/31/2014.

How do I structure my search?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 saluqi

saluqi

• Members
  • 527 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 PM

Posted 26 June 2014 - 07:02 PM

Camera default names are commonly sequential, things like DSC_1234 where '1234' represents a sequential series of 4 digits - 0001, 0002, 0003 and so on.  If you can locate pix taken with the same camera on 5/13 and on 5/31 that will give you a range of file names to search for.  The numbers begin over at 0001 after reaching 9999 but unless you are a busy professional that's not likely to happen within 3 weeks.

You could also sort by file date, or by date taken, which would at least make scanning each folder very quick.

Neither of these brute-force suggestions address Boolean searching, so might not be too helpful if you have professional-sized archives . . .

#3 M...

M...

• Members
  • 386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 PM

Posted 26 June 2014 - 08:12 PM

Hello bhl,

For most searches (where I know part of the file name), I use Everything (http://www.voidtools.com/).  But when searching a large number of files (over 1.5 million) where there is only a finite date range involved regarding the creation or modification of the file(s), Agent Ransack (http://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack) wins every time.

There is an existing Bleeping Computer thread that deals with a similar situation:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/467607/why-searching-for-a-file-using-filters-its-so-nasty-and-complicated/#entry2830613

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users