Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Randomly Turning Off & HDD Error BIOHD-8

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Afrochubman

Afrochubman

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 25 June 2014 - 05:49 PM

I have a HP Pavillion p6510y , I have only changed out the Power Supply to a 600w, added a 1GB GPU and a 1TB HDD. My computer has been randomly shutting off and I have no idea why. Once it shuts off , it loads up the bios and only says "F10 - Support" , and after restarting it continues normally, then repeats after about 10-15 mins. I don't think it is overheating. I've checked the temps and they don't go over 40C and the PC doesnt even feel hot. 

Next I noticed when you wiggle the PC the power seems to cut in and out, but it only happens every so often. It fell in the back of my car, I of course flipped $@!%, but it seemed ok for a while. Then it started doing that. 

I decided to run diagnostics and the BIOS said everything was fine but my HDD had an Error Code : BIOHD-8

If someone could help me get this working it would be amazing. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Frozwire

Frozwire

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2014 - 09:15 PM

Hi,

You may try to boot your PC while the HDD is disconnected from the machine and find out if it will still have the restart loop while the hard drive is removed.

"Encryption...is a powerful defensive weapon for free people. It offers a technical guarantee of privacy, regardless of who is running the government... It's hard to think of a more powerful, less dangerous tool for liberty...” - Esther Dyson

#3 Afrochubman

Afrochubman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2014 - 09:54 PM

Yeah its just sitting here telling me to select a boot device

#4 Afrochubman

Afrochubman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2014 - 09:58 PM

Yeah so it may be the hdd thats an issue. My friend also suggested it might be the thermal paste has deteriated from the processer and heat sink

#5 Kirbyofdeath

Kirbyofdeath

• Members
  • 459 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2014 - 11:12 PM

No, It definitely is the hdd... BIOHD-8 is a s.m.a.r.t error message meaning that the drive had gone kaput.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users