Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is taking technical college courses worth it?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cmharris90

cmharris90

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 25 June 2014 - 05:29 PM

First off, I'm new to the BC community and am excited to be here!

I was wondering if anyone had any advice as to whether or not it is worth paying for community colleges courses to prep for IT certifications, or do you think I would be fine taking it a cert at a time and studying for the exams independently.

Any and all suggestions welcome

Thanks,

Cameron

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 AM

Posted 25 June 2014 - 06:23 PM

I've done all my certifications independently. It depends how much money and time you have to spare and what type of learning style you have, as to which route you should take.

Personally I hate classes and feel held back, work full time and don't really have the extra cash to lash out for colleges... You may find you are in the other group.

#3 cmharris90

cmharris90
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2014 - 06:26 PM

I have been taking some practice exams for A+ online and really feel classroom time would be a waste of money and time. Would you suggest any prep materials that are particularly helpful?

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 AM

Posted 25 June 2014 - 07:14 PM

I have a subscription to http://ecertit.oncourselearning.com/ which has been an invaluable tool for me. It will spoon feed you the material in an easy to understand way with great video tutorials and provide all the background documentation required to study up to testing level. Some of the information is a little dated, but mostly the training is high quality... And most of all when and where you want it.

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 26 June 2014 - 08:28 AM

First off, if the college courses count towards the degree you are working towards you might as well take them and kill two birds with one stone.  If you know what you're doing they should be easy classes.

Myself, I use the Exam Cram books and the Transcender practice tests.  The Exam Cram books have the information you need to know without all of the fluff.  The Transcender practice tests ensure I know enough to pass the exam and show me the types of questions I can expect to see so that I know where to focus.

#6 cmharris90

cmharris90
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2014 - 09:58 AM

I ordered the ExamCram book as well as the ExamCram practice questions book. I'm hoping that will cover most of the scenarios faced on the exam. As far as keeping relevant, I'm also thinking about subscribing to a practice test website.

Thanks for your input guys

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users