Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desperate need of help, PC has basically given up

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 n00kiee99

n00kiee99

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 25 June 2014 - 03:44 PM

Hi everyone, I'm Matt, I'm new here so Hi :D
Apologies if this is the wrong place, but seemed the most appropriate place to post for help.
Bear with me, this is probably going to be a long post, but I am in desperate need of help if anyone can offer any.

OK, a bit of background:
I am running a reasonably new (less than a year old) tower, Windows 7 Ultimate 64 SP1, AMD FX-4100, 8GB RAM Single Channel DDR3 @ 803MHz (4-5-5-15), 1TB Seagate ST31000528AS ATA with 645GB of free space [all taken from Piriforms' 'Speccy' software - Please tell me if any more information is needed]. *I can post screenshots of all the Speccy screens if needs be* I am also on BT Fibre Optic Broadband, with supposed speeds of up to roughly 50mb, connected via ethernet. 

I have Avast! free antivirus, Avast! Grimefighter, AVG free antivirus, Malware Bytes, BitDefender, Piriform CCleaner, Piriform Defraggler as well as Windows Defender and Windows Defrag. [Generally speaking, I only use Avast Antivirus and Grimefighter, CCleaner and Defraggler and Malware Bytes, but it doesn't hurt to be careful, right?]

All was running well up until a few weeks ago, when I started noticed it slowing down a fair bit during internet usage (videos etc). I also had the 'Windows Start Up Repair' option appear several times. I ran it and it was working for 3 days straight with no end in sight, but needed to use PC at time so had to power off and hope it worked when I turned it back on. It came up with the option to do the start up repair again, or just start windows normally, I chose the latter, and it loaded up Windows, (though it gave me the option again next time I turned it on). 

I ran a few scans with CCleaner, deleted all the unecessary files that were found (about 600mb) and carried on. I do a virus check most, if not every day, and nothing. It has got much, much worse since then, chugging to basically a standstill at the mere attempt at opening Spotify, or any other program really. It seems to give the 'not responding' message at pretty much every program opened, hangs for a minute or two, lets me carry on, then will probably repeat the process. This obviously makes doing anything on the machine very difficult. I have tried to watch several HD (720p usually) movies and tv shows since, and it takes ages (sometimes minutes) to even open the file. And when it finally does, it stops and stutters and sometimes even loops over and over (using VLC player, though have tried many others and problems persist. Though I know it's not the files themselves because it happens at different parts for different players). Have tried uninstalling and deleting everything, then reinstalling but problems persist. 

Also, doing anything on the internet seems to take forever, again, sometimes being minutes to open pages. I am using Chrome as my default browser, but also have Firefox and IE installed just in case), and it basically can't seem to do anything without taking forever. Even simple pages like IGN, or Facebook can take ages to load, with the videos not playing correctly sometimes. It seems to struggle less with Firefox, but I much prefer Chrome. I have uninstalled and reinstalled both browsers but nothing changed. 

I have ran many, many antivirus tests with all of the above software, found nothing. I have ran Grimefighter a few times, and although it said it removed many items, it hasn't really done much in terms of performance. I have defragged (and Defraggled...) the machine twice, and it hasn't helped. I have used CCleaner for registry file checking, as well as CHKDISK (I think it's called?) and another tool that I can't remember the name of at present. Everything seems to be as it should, with no problems or errors, yet my PC still is running at a terrible pace. I don't know what else to try as everything is seemingly normal.. I spend quite a lot of time on my PC, and would love to have it up and running as it should be again... 

When (if...) it IS working, everything seems to be working fine...but when it decides it's not going to play ball, well, that's why I'm here..

If anyone has read this far, thanks, and if anyone can help, thanks even more!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 AM

Posted 25 June 2014 - 04:01 PM

I see you listed both Avast and AVG.  You do know you can't run them both at the same time, don't you?

I'd suggest trying a clean boot for starters.  Start MSCONFIG and click the Startup tab (Note: avoid the other tabs).  Uncheck everything there except your antivirus program and reboot.  See if that helps.  

Then  download minitoolbox and run it with the following boxes checked:

List last 10 Event Viewer Errors

List Installed Programs

List Users, Partitions, and Memory size

List Minidump files

Copy the resulting log and paste into a reply here.

Good luck.

Edited by wpgwpg, 25 June 2014 - 04:03 PM.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 n00kiee99

n00kiee99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2014 - 04:14 PM

Thanks for the reply. 
Here is the result [put in a spoiler because it's huge]:

Spoiler

Edited by n00kiee99, 25 June 2014 - 04:15 PM.

#4 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2014 - 04:34 PM

You have a plethora of errors with AVG, and you're running it while Avast is installed.  That's a no no.  You can have one or the other installed, but not both at the same time.  I'd disconnect from the Internet, then uninstall both, then reinstall the one you want.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#5 n00kiee99

n00kiee99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2014 - 04:39 PM

According to my Control Panel's add/remove programs, AVG doesn't exist... I will try revouninstaller to see if I can get rid. Thanks for the replies, I will test and report back. 

#6 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2014 - 05:23 PM

- Use the AVG removal tool

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/avg-remover-2012/

#7 n00kiee99

n00kiee99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2014 - 05:25 PM

Yeah I saw that after a search, I tried it, it said it had got rid of everything, but I found 80+ files with avg... So, deleted them all, then ran a registry cleaner with CCleaner, and now I have 0 avg files, so hopefully that will help... 
Thanks guys, Fingers crossed that's all it was, and it will go back to normal again, I will report back tomorrow at some point. Thanks for the replies :) 

#8 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2014 - 05:29 PM

- Restart the system in Safe Mode. If the system runs at the same sluggish speed then I would think it's hardware related.

#9 n00kiee99

n00kiee99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2014 - 10:14 AM

Safe mode seemed to have similar problems, though mostly with the internet being incredibly slow. 
So I am pretty sure that AVG has now been completely removed, with just Avast! as my antivirus. but to be honest, it still seems to be chugging. Any other recommendations, or is it likely as Willy22 suggested, that it is in fact hardware based? If so, is there a way I can check if I have anything failing or failed? 
Thanks for the replies guys. appreciate them.

#10 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2014 - 10:21 AM

Try running minitoolbox with those same boxes checked & let's see what it says now.

#11 n00kiee99

n00kiee99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2014 - 11:11 AM

Ok, this time I get :

Spoiler

Skimming through that, I can still see mention of AVG! Argh. I don't know what else to do in order to remove that... I've uninstalled, used the avg removal tool, cleaned the registry, deleted files... what else can I do. Could it really be that the antiviruses are causing this much trouble just by competing with each other? 

#12 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2014 - 11:23 AM

Yep, sure could.  One sees the signature in the other and tries to "fix" it.  That can cause bedlam.  If worse comes to worst, you could always restore to factory settings.

When you've gotten your system back like you want it, I urge you to get yourself an external hard drive and a good 3rd party backup program. You can set it up to do everything automagically at the time and frequency of your choice. 1TB external hard drives are about $60 these days and a really good FREE backup program is the Easeus todo backup free which you can download from
http://www.todo-backup.com/products/home/free-backup-software.htm . That can save you a lot of time and frustration the next time something like this happens. Sooner or later it happens to all computers for one reason or another.

Good luck.

#13 n00kiee99

n00kiee99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2014 - 11:26 AM

I have a 500gb external, I try and backup fairly regularly so not THAT worried about losing everything, though as it stands, I can still access everything (all be it incredibly slowly sometimes), so I can still back up as and when. Only really bothered about some travel photos and all my music, everything else can be redownloaded or whatever. 
So is that the best option do you think? Just wipe everything, start again, hope for the best? I realise it's a last resort, so I am just wondering if there are any other options I can try beforehand... 
Appreciate all the replies.

#14 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2014 - 01:29 PM

Two last things you might want to try are doing a repair from a system repair disc, and doing a clean boot.  For the system repair disc, click Start -> Control Panel -> Backup and Restore -> Create system repair disc.  Insert a CD-R.  When it finishes, boot from the disc and try the repair option.  For the clean boot I'd first create a restore point, then run MSCONFIG.  Note: be very careful with MSCONFIG lest you disable your system!  Click the Startup button and uncheck everything there except your antivirus.  Next click the Services tab, then click Hide all Microsoft services (Note: very important!).  Uncheck everything there except your antivirus, making a note of everything you unchecked.  Reboot and see if that makes a difference.  If neither of these help, you could try some of the malware tools like AdwCleaner, JRT (Junk Removal Tool), and TDSSkiller, but at some point I'd think you'd reach the point of diminishing returns where it'd be easier to restore from your backup or restore to factory settings.

Good luck.

Edited by wpgwpg, 26 June 2014 - 06:44 PM.

#15 n00kiee99

n00kiee99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2014 - 05:14 PM

Awesome, I will give this a go. Thanks so much for the help, been very informative, and unlike some people who offer help, you have not tried to be a smart ass or anything, so appreciate that! Cheers for all the help . 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users