Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please Help. Two computers with the conflicting IP Addresses

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 routerman342

routerman342

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 25 June 2014 - 03:34 PM

I have 3 computers and two of them have the same conflicting public IP address which is causing problems. I tried to ipconfig/release ipconfig/renew and ipconfig /flushdns but nothing. It also says "No operation can be performed on a Local Area Connection* 11 while it has its media disconnected."

I tried resetting router/modem, made sure "Obtain an IP address automatically" are all enabled. DHCP is enabled.

If I clone my MAC address the identical IP of the two computers changes but they'll still share the same IP. The third doesn't change.

I just updated my firmware.

Can anyone help? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2014 - 04:36 PM

A public IP address, which is what the world sees, should be the same for all the computers, when going through a router, or router/modem (combo).  It is the router, or router/modem (combo) that acts as a "traffic cop", and directs incoming to the appropriate computer on your network.  However "private" IP address, what your router, or router/modem (combo) gives out to the computer, etc connected to it, that is a different story.  Each device off your router must have a different IP address.

Do this:

1.  Check the configuration of ALL the computers, and see if they have the same ip address.  This is presuming that they may have static IP addresses assigned.  This is done in the networking area.  Make sure that they all are set to DHCP.

2.  Power down ALL PCs.

3.  Do a hard reset on the router, or router/modem (combo).  So this my pressing a small recessed button somewhere on the router/modem.  Usually you have to use a paperclip or something similiar, and hold the button down until the light flicker, maybe 10-15 seconds.

4.  Power on one of the computers.  Let it cycle up, and check your connection.

5.  Power on another one of the computers.  Let it cycle up, and check your connection.

6.  Power on the last computer.  Let it cycle up, and check your connection.

If none of this works, then contact your ISP.  It is possible that the firmware update hosed things.  To my knowledge, once a firmware upgrade is done, there is no way, short of finding the older firmware file, to go back.

Best of luck.

Edited by scotty_ncc1701, 25 June 2014 - 04:39 PM.

#3 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2014 - 04:49 PM

Public vs. Private IP Addresses

IP addresses can be either public or private. "Public" means an IP address can be reached from the Internet, while "private" means it can’t. For example, in a typical home network, a router has a public IP address on the Internet. The computers, smartphones, game consoles, and other devices behind the router all have unique private IP addresses on the home network. The router acts as an intermediary, forwarding traffic to the local IP addresses that request it. From an outside perspective, all devices on the home network are communicating with the Internet from a single public IP address.

http://www.howtogeek.com/117371/how-to-find-your-computers-private-public-ip-addresses/

#4 bkranthi

bkranthi

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 26 June 2014 - 04:22 AM

jst switch off all devices 30 sec (that is router,switch and all pcs)

thats it problem is solved

#5 routerman342

routerman342
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2014 - 12:13 AM

A public IP address, which is what the world sees, should be the same for all the computers, when going through a router, or router/modem (combo).  It is the router, or router/modem (combo) that acts as a "traffic cop", and directs incoming to the appropriate computer on your network.  However "private" IP address, what your router, or router/modem (combo) gives out to the computer, etc connected to it, that is a different story.  Each device off your router must have a different IP address.

Do this:

1.  Check the configuration of ALL the computers, and see if they have the same ip address.  This is presuming that they may have static IP addresses assigned.  This is done in the networking area.  Make sure that they all are set to DHCP.

2.  Power down ALL PCs.

3.  Do a hard reset on the router, or router/modem (combo).  So this my pressing a small recessed button somewhere on the router/modem.  Usually you have to use a paperclip or something similiar, and hold the button down until the light flicker, maybe 10-15 seconds.

4.  Power on one of the computers.  Let it cycle up, and check your connection.

5.  Power on another one of the computers.  Let it cycle up, and check your connection.

6.  Power on the last computer.  Let it cycle up, and check your connection.

If none of this works, then contact your ISP.  It is possible that the firmware update hosed things.  To my knowledge, once a firmware upgrade is done, there is no way, short of finding the older firmware file, to go back.

Best of luck.

jst switch off all devices 30 sec (that is router,switch and all pcs)

thats it problem is solved

Ok so I powered down all three computers and turned off/reset the modem and router.

I restarted them one by one and after, the two computers with the conflicting IP address changed their IPs but their IPs are still conflicting.  The third computers IP stayed the same.

What can we do from here anyone?

#6 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,442 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 27 June 2014 - 09:14 AM

Are you, for some reason, cloning or spoofing the MAC address on one of these machines?

You may just want to turn of DHCP on your router and set static IP addresses and be done with this.

You could also leave DHCP turned on and set static IP addresses outside of the DHCP range.

Edited by Kilroy, 27 June 2014 - 09:15 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users