Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

lease obtained and lease expires same date & time

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 etherjones

etherjones

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 25 June 2014 - 03:09 PM

When I log in to my Netgear WPN824v3 router and view connection status, it shows that the "lease obtained" and "lease expires" dates and times are the same (no, they are are not 24 hours apart - they are the same!).

Is this normal?  If so, what does it mean?

Note: when I bypass my router and connect an XP machine directly to my internet connection, and then do ipconfig /all, it shows the obtained and expired dates are 24 hours apart.   Can someone make some sense of this please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 25 June 2014 - 03:16 PM

Sounds like something with the DHCP configuration on the Netgear.  There should be a setting for the length of the lease.  Unfortunately the manual doesn't show me any screen shots of the screens you see.  Section 5-9, page 65 talks about DHCP but only talks about being able to set the DHCP range.

#3 etherjones

etherjones
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2014 - 03:38 PM

Sounds like something with the DHCP configuration on the Netgear.  There should be a setting for the length of the lease.  Unfortunately the manual doesn't show me any screen shots of the screens you see.  Section 5-9, page 65 talks about DHCP but only talks about being able to set the DHCP range.

I'm no IP guru, but the above hypothesis doesn't seem to fit the facts as I understand them.  So please educate me.  Below is an expanded explanation:

A) with router in the circuit:

ISP ---- router ----- MyComputer

log in to router;  router connection status shows lease obtained and expires dates and times identical.  

command prompt on MyComputer type ipconfig /all; shows lease expires 24 hours after lease obtained

Intermittent internet connection problems.

B )  with router removed from the circuit:

ISP ----- MyComputer

command prompt on MyComputer type ipconfig /all; shows lease expires 24 hours after lease obtained

internet works properly.

C) I searched all the menus in router and could not find anything about specifying the length of the lease.  But even if I could, for scenario (A) above why does the router say the expired and obtained dates/times are identical, and the computer says they are 24 hours apart???

Edited by etherjones, 25 June 2014 - 03:39 PM.

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2014 - 08:48 AM

Okay, I was not understanding correctly then.  Here is what I getting from you:

1.  When the router is connected to the ISP and you log into the router it shows the DHCP lease obtained and expiration are the same.

2.  When you connect the computer to the ISP and do an IPCONFIG /ALL the DHCP lease obtained and expiration are 24 hours apart.

3.  Your DHCP lease time on the computer when you are connected to the router is 24 hours.

In your A example the router is getting its DHCP from your ISP and your computer is getting its DHCP from the router.

I don't know why, but this might be why I have seen issues with Netgear routers and some VPN solutions.  I'd check and see if there is a firmware upgrade for the router.

#5 etherjones

etherjones
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2014 - 09:29 AM

Okay, I was not understanding correctly then.  Here is what I getting from you:

1.  When the router is connected to the ISP and you log into the router it shows the DHCP lease obtained and expiration are the same.

correct

2.  When you connect the computer to the ISP and do an IPCONFIG /ALL the DHCP lease obtained and expiration are 24 hours apart.

correct

3.  Your DHCP lease time on the computer when you are connected to the router is 24 hours.

correct

In your A example the router is getting its DHCP from your ISP and your computer is getting its DHCP from the router.

That's my understanding.

I don't know why, but this might be why I have seen issues with Netgear routers and some VPN solutions.  I'd check and see if there is a firmware upgrade for the router.

What puzzles me is #1 & #2 above.  Why would the ISP give a 24-hour lease to my computer (when the computer is connected to the ISP), but give a zero-duration lease to the router (when the router is connected to the ISP)?  It makes no sense.  The only plausible explanation I can come up with at this point is that the ISP is indeed giving a 24-hour lease to the router, but the router is not handling it correctly (due to a hardware or software fault of some sort).

Edited by etherjones, 26 June 2014 - 09:30 AM.

#6 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2014 - 10:11 AM

That is my idea is that the Netgear router for whatever reason.  I've seen issues with Netgear routers and VPN solutions.  Since we don't support user home networks we usually had them replace the router and the problem disappeared.  I never got into the router to check the DHCP lease information.

So, I'd suggest ensuring that you have the latest firmware on the Netgear router and see if that helps.  I don't know if you can install an alternate firmware on that router, but that would be option 2.  Replacing the router would be option 3.

#7 etherjones

etherjones
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2014 - 02:05 PM

That is my idea is that the Netgear router for whatever reason.  I've seen issues with Netgear routers and VPN solutions.  Since we don't support user home networks we usually had them replace the router and the problem disappeared.  I never got into the router to check the DHCP lease information.

So, I'd suggest ensuring that you have the latest firmware on the Netgear router and see if that helps.  I don't know if you can install an alternate firmware on that router, but that would be option 2.  Replacing the router would be option 3.

I checked and could not find any firmware more recent than what I am already running.

Netgear WPN824v3 router is not supported by DD-WRT so option 2 is off the table.

I have an old Linksys WRT54GX laying around here somewhere.  When I get a chance I will hook it up and see if it gets a 24 hour or a zero hour lease from the ISP.

#8 etherjones

etherjones
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2014 - 02:32 PM

Following up:

1) My intermittent internet connectivity problem has been resolved: The ISP replaced some aging equipment and that cleared things up.

2) However, my Netgear WPN824v3 router still reports a zero-duration lease (even though my computer, when connected directly to the ISP - bypassing the router - reports a nonzero duration lease).

3) I tried using a Linksys  WRT54GX, but it appears there's no menu option to display the info about the lease assigned to the router.

So, question:  Anyone out there with a router (Netgear or otherwise) which reports a zero-duration lease?  I'd like to know if this is a harmless bug in the firmware, or an indication that the router is failing.

#9 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,480 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 AM

Posted 04 July 2014 - 07:32 PM

It should all be located in the DHCP setting section. Client lease time or something to that effect. For instance linksys is default 0 setting which represents 1 day/24h lease. Usually you can enter a maxmimum minutes 9999 in that box. Which is 9999/60 = 166.65 hours.... 166.65/24 = 6.94375 or roughly 7 days.

#10 etherjones

etherjones
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2014 - 09:01 PM

It should all be located in the DHCP setting section. Client lease time or something to that effect. For instance linksys is default 0 setting which represents 1 day/24h lease. Usually you can enter a maxmimum minutes 9999 in that box. Which is 9999/60 = 166.65 hours.... 166.65/24 = 6.94375 or roughly 7 days.

The setting in the router establishes the duration of the lease that the router assigns to the computers attached to it.  It has no effect  on the duration of the lease assigned to the router by the ISP.  That duration is configured in the ISP equipment.

#11 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2014 - 11:20 AM

Just checked my Netgear WNDR3700v2 and I've got a two day lease from Comcast.

#12 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,480 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 AM

Posted 05 July 2014 - 07:34 PM

Etherjones, My bad I thought you needed to change the local DHCP lease. With like Comcast cable or whatever you tend to get the same IP even though your lease is a couple days. I once had the same IP for 3 years. If the IP changes it's due to mainentance/outage on their end, or if you change your router hardware's MAC. Sometimes it can be a good thing to force a new IP. Like for instance, you may have hosted a game server in the past and even though the server is no longer running people still hammer your IP to connect to the server. It's like getting a DDOS attack disrupting and slowing your service.

Another example would be that your system has gotten a virus or malware on it and they spam your IP. Cleaning the system, changing passwords and pulling a new IP fixes that problem. There are many out there that scan blocks of IP's looking for servers to attack. You can open SSH port 22 on your router point it to some bogus local IP internal address and in minutes you will get probes. You can sit there and watch the logs grow on the router. IP's incoming from China, Germany, Russia, USA (some noob in a computer lab college/university) Running any remote service you want to configure a different port.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users