Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I connect two routers at the same time?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Inveryes

Inveryes

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 PM

Posted 25 June 2014 - 03:00 PM

Hi

I have a TP-Link modem router which has worked perfectly for several years but has become a target of the hack that TP-Link refuse to do anything about.

Following the most recent hack, I decided it would be safer to just replace the router. I bought a Netgear DGND 3700v2 and was happy with the easy set up. All seemed fine.

Now an issue has developed when gaming on the PS3 when connected wirelessly to the Netgear router. Now we suffer from occasional drop-offs which never happened before.

What I'm wondering now is, can I use the TP-Link router purely for connecting the PS3 wirelessly to it, to eliminate the drop-offs, whilst at the same time using the Netgear router to connect the other devices to ( laptops, desktop, phones, ipad, hudl etc.). The devices which are vulnerable to being hacked would be using the more secure router.

Would it be safe enough to connect only a PS3 to a TP-Link router, even if it has been hacked? The PS3 is used purely for online gaming.

If I could run two routers at once, how do I go about it?

If I couldn't, would it make any difference if the PS3 was connected to the Netgear router by wire rather than wirelessly?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 25 June 2014 - 03:10 PM

Yes.  Here is a posting from another forum I frequent on Using a Wireless Router as an Access Point

#3 Inveryes

Inveryes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 PM

Posted 25 June 2014 - 03:46 PM

Thanks for that. Looks complicated! Might take a bit of time to get my head round that.

Is that keeping the two routers completely separate from each other, or does it make one "feed into" the other?

I was wanting to keep them both completely separate so that the TP-Link router which is vulnerable to being hacked is used exclusively by the PS3, whilst the other devices all connect to the Netgear router.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 25 June 2014 - 07:15 PM

Just to add also with regard to your Netgear model is the simultaneous capability of 2.4 and 5 ghz band of which you could isolate devices that support either wifi range to avoid sudden drops or interferences. Another thing is using the QOS feature just in case. http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/20732/~/dgnd3700v2-faqs But then again as already mentioned by Kilroy is creating a new access point for your PS3.

Tekken

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 26 June 2014 - 08:39 AM

That link will allow you to connect the TP-Link router behind the Netgear router.  I do not know the nature of the TP-Link hack, but would assume that it needs to be connected to the Internet directly in order to be hacked.  This configuration makes the TP-Link a device on your network that goes routes it traffic to the Netgear router to get to the Internet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users