Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems with free disk space

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 otakugirl

otakugirl

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 AM

Posted 25 June 2014 - 01:02 PM

Some friends of mine recently talked me into getting Steam so I can do some computer gaming. I was very leery at first because I am running an older machine/system and worried it wouldn't be able to handle anything. However, my husband routinely plays World of Warcraft III and Starcraft with little issues at all. So I figured I'd give it a try.

I tried a game one friend of mine recommended on the free section and it said I didn't have sufficient free disk space. It needed roughly 15000 MB and I only had around 11500 MB. So I figured, being this was a second hand computer I had been working on cleaning up anyway, might as well do some more sweeping. I deleted several programs I won't use, did a disk clean up and then ran defrag. Viola, the game has more than enough space. However, I don't have enough space for a smaller game. I need roughly 9000 MB, but only have like 6400 MB.

This seems odd to me because I've checked my computer's disk space and it says I have about 6.17 GB of free space out of a total of 37.2 GB.

I've got a Dell Dimension 2400 with Intel Celeron 2.20 GHz and 1.00 GB of RAM. Currently running XP Professional 2002 with service pack 3.

Why am I getting this limited free space message, when it would seem I have plenty? I'm pretty good with computers, but I guess not that good. Any tips/advice would be helpful.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,857 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 25 June 2014 - 01:20 PM

You are getting the messages...because they are true :) and are trying to tell you that you either need more storage...or you need to stop saving files to your hard drive.

1,000KB equals 1MB.  1,000MB eqals 1GB.  1,000GB equals 1 terabyte.

6400 MB is 6.4 or so GB.  Your total hard drive is only 37GB.

Sounds to me as if...if you intend to install games...you need a larger hard drive or an external hard drive on which you store your games.

Windows needs approx !5% of the partion space on C: to be free space...or you may suddenly find that strange things are happening to the system.

Louis

#3 otakugirl

otakugirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 AM

Posted 25 June 2014 - 01:26 PM

Thanks! This would explain a lot. I am pretty rusty with computer size conversions, and now that makes perfect sense. 

I've got a second computer, actually this computer's twin, which I've been planning to use as a slave. However I have to get it fixed as my husband locked it up by falling for a scam phone call. Guess this is the incentive I need to get it fixed!

Might not give me much room, but will be a decent start.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users