Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading HP P7-1254

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 zeratul00

zeratul00

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 AM

Posted 25 June 2014 - 12:46 PM

Hi there! 

So my girlfriend's father decided to buy her a graduation present for which we are very grateful for. Him and I had talked about buying her a computer for a long time and I suggested him just give her the money and I could help her pick out parts. However, the man is incredibly stubborn and believes he still knows more then me in terms of computers (He doesn't.) So, instead of letting me build her an adequate computer, the idiot bought her an HP P7-1254. 

Now, I cannot stand HP. They, to me, are a crap company with crap computers. Her computer is loaded up with okay specs, but like HP always does, the bare minimum when it comes to certain things, like the PS, etc.

Well, that was a long time ago and now, I need to upgrade her computer for her. I had a few ideas about what to do with it but I really don't want to spend that much on it. She only uses it for surfing the web, playing Sims games, and photoshop. 

I'd like to get her a video card but I know I should upgrade her PS for that. 

Does anyone have some cheap cards out there I could purchase for her computer that would increase her performance? Or really anyway that I can increase it hardware-wise and not spend too much money?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 odde

odde

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 25 June 2014 - 01:01 PM

HP isn't such a bad brand, atleast their business servers and computers, but as all other manufacturers, its all about the end price.

Without the specs of the HP, its hard to recommend anything at all :)

odde 

#3 badr0b0t

badr0b0t

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 25 June 2014 - 01:16 PM

Your motherboard has 3- PCIe x1 slots and 1 x16 slot.

You might want to look at graphics card that runs on x1 slot and save the x16 for something else.

Look at this one:

http://www.amazon.com/HIS-Silence-DisplayPort-PCI-Express-H545H1GD1/dp/B004GL72K0/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Although a 400watt PSU is recommended for this card, but since the computer is only being used for simple tasks, you might be able to get away with replacing the PSU (is that a 300watts you have right now?). But 400watts is not really that expensive so you might want to grab one, too.

Cheers!

sig07.gif?psid=1

(Click sig to enlarge.)                                                    

#4 zeratul00

zeratul00
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2014 - 01:25 PM

Odde, here is a link to the specifications of the computer: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c03135882&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en

Bad, yeah, we have the 300W right now. That looks like a solid card to use. Much better then the integrated POS in the computer. Do you think putting that card would allow her to play Sims 4 pretty well? Sims 3 plays pretty well on it with the occasional stutter. I know she won't be able to play it on high graphics but she doesnt mind that.

#5 odde

odde

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2014 - 01:53 PM

Yeah, the card suggested isnt bad at all - but i would think about upgrading the PSU as well, and maybe even more then 400W

odde

#6 badr0b0t

badr0b0t

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 25 June 2014 - 02:02 PM

Odde, here is a link to the specifications of the computer: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c03135882&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en

Bad, yeah, we have the 300W right now. That looks like a solid card to use. Much better then the integrated POS in the computer. Do you think putting that card would allow her to play Sims 4 pretty well? Sims 3 plays pretty well on it with the occasional stutter. I know she won't be able to play it on high graphics but she doesnt mind that.

SIMS 4 is designed to run better on lower end machine than SIMS 3. So, it should be fine.

That card I suggested can also run 3 monitors at the same time.

Read the reviews from the link I provided. 

Good luck!

sig07.gif?psid=1

(Click sig to enlarge.)                                                    

#7 zeratul00

zeratul00
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2014 - 03:08 PM

What about this card? Would it work the same way?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?gclid=CjkKEQjw5qmdBRCn--70gPSo074BEiQAJCe7zQMUZjUTDdrIHPE9up7r-tsFKLRDWdDN0w8nCKNzQVXw_wcB&Item=N82E16814161364&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-Desktop+Graphics+Cards-_-N82E16814161364&ef_id=U1ncFgAABNRFjzyl:20140625200802:s

#8 odde

odde

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2014 - 03:54 PM

It would work same way, but instead of taking one of the x1 slots it would take the x16.

And if you would go for occupying that - you might consider the http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102882

odde

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users