Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help! User profile logon error

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Shophound

Shophound

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 25 June 2014 - 12:42 PM

Please help! Tried the fix in reg edit user profiles. However, there was no .dat file to correct. Not sure what to do. Tried to create new user, but it didn't copy all my files. And I would have to redo outlook for all my email. I just want to fix this, so I can get back to work. I made the mistake of following advice to do a chkdsk, which is just now at 42%. Can anyone here help me? Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,804 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 25 June 2014 - 12:45 PM

Let the chkdsk finish.  If you stop it you will wind up with missing or damaged files.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Shophound

Shophound
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2014 - 12:49 PM

Thanks, Groucho. Yes, that's what I have read. I am so frustrated. What should I do when it's finished?

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,804 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2014 - 01:00 PM

There are five steps in this scan, this usually takes me a good thirty to forty minutes to run.

When it's finished you should be able to continue with normal operation.

Why did you run the chkdsk?

What switch did you run?  Ex: chkdsk /r

Edited by dc3, 25 June 2014 - 01:00 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Shophound

Shophound
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2014 - 01:05 PM

Some help forum said if the fix in regedit did not work then try doing a chkdsk. Not sure what you mean by "what switch did you run?" I just checked a couple of boxes, rebooted and it started with the chkdsk.

Will doing chkdsk fix the logon error?

Thanks for your help.

#6 odde

odde

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 AM

Posted 25 June 2014 - 01:05 PM

When you create a new user, it never copies files from another user - it only copies programs and shortcuts from defaultuse or all users

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 PM

Posted 25 June 2014 - 01:08 PM

You may want to try Microsoft Fix it 50446, found at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947215#letmefi .

Louis

#8 Shophound

Shophound
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2014 - 01:11 PM

It did copy a lot of My documents files, but not all. If this is as you said, how do you retrieve all of your data under that user? I just want to fix the current user logon, and not screw with the new user if possible.

#9 Shophound

Shophound
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2014 - 01:13 PM

Hi, Moderator... Already tried this...there is no .bak file to fix in my user profiles.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,804 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2014 - 01:31 PM

The following is from the Microsoft Community regarding transferring the files to a new user account.

Use Start - Computer    OR    Windows Explorer  to navigate to C:\Users  to the account you
want to COPY - Right Click on the Folders (and/or files) and COPY - go to the other account
and PASTE where you want to put them. Repeat as needed. Do not delete the folders and
files from the account they are in until you are sure they are duplicated where you need
them.

#11 Shophound

Shophound
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2014 - 01:41 PM

Thanks, Groucho. Yup...did this already. I was trying to avoid doing this at all by just fixing the corrupted file. Looks like there is no other way than to set up a new user. What a pain in the arse.

#12 odde

odde

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 AM

Posted 25 June 2014 - 02:03 PM

Files should be really easy to copy, and even emails can be imported if the files are still there :)

bleep happens sometimes

Odde

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users