Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Screwed up, now can't use Wifi.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 KGarrard

KGarrard

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 PM

Posted 25 June 2014 - 11:07 AM

Good morning. I recently had a bit of a battle with something that wouldn't let me install things. A friend of mine used Autoruns to check out what was going on that may've been blocking my ability to install stuff and found an antivirus file playing in the background. He accidentally deleted instead of disabled that, and one entry related to a Parite bug we had to get rid of months back. A few other things got erased, and I booted into normal mode to find that while my adapter works, I can only get "Limited Access". And as I was trying to recover some files suddenly "This copy of Windows is not genuine" appears in the corners [even though windows 7 came with the computer]. I think we dug into a deeper hole. Malwarebytes came up clean, and I can't use System Restore as the only point is from after this all went down. The related file we deleted may've been in the "microsoft shared" folder, likely a .dll or .exe The drivers for the adapter are up to date, and I can't roll them back. So, how screwed am I? :( Posting this from a library computer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 25 June 2014 - 11:12 AM

I'd boot from a live disc like Ubuntu or Mint Linux and save anything I didn't want to lose.  Then I'd restore to factory settings using the procedure in my user guide.  

Actually if this happened to me, I'd boot from my Easeus Todo Backup Free disc, and restore my system from a recent backup on an external hard drive.   When you've gotten your system back like you want it, I urge you to get yourself an external hard drive and a good 3rd party backup program. You can set it up to do everything automagically at the time and frequency of your choice. 1 TB external hard drives are about $60 these days and a really good FREE backup program is the Easeus Todo Backup Free.  That can save you a lot of time and frustration the next time something like this happens. Sooner or later it happens to all computers for one reason or another.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 KGarrard

KGarrard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2014 - 11:18 AM

Yeah, pretty much saving things I don't want to lose atm. Running out of time for this session, will try being back tomorrow.

#4 KGarrard

KGarrard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2014 - 09:40 PM

Whoop, we fixed it. Turns out it was a problem with my WLAN having to first run by a COMODO firewall. Fixed it so it doesn't have to run by the firewall before allowing me online, and now I have Internet again. :) I can also install things again, another instance of COMODO blocking me from having access to my own Temp folder, hahaha.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users