Bit of a strange one this as basically it was working last thing at night and the next morning I had the problem which is that the laptop randomly turns itself off and on. Sometimes it happens after seconds, sometimes it'll be on 5 minutes and I can load up windows etc but then it'll turn off. The strange thing for me is that this happens whether mains connected or battery and with battery disconnected, whichever combination. Also it will turn off and on with the lid closed. Occasionally when windows does load up, when it turns off instead it goes to the hibernate option and I just need to sign back in to windows but before long it'll completely turn off again before randomly powering itself back on. Could it be as simple as a faulty power button? It doesn't always power on straight away when I hold the button down.
Some other information which may help...
The fan turns on and works as normal
No problem with overheating, it happens as soon as you switch on after a long time switched off
I've not been connected to Internet so can't be an update which downloaded or any kind of virus/malware. I did connect to wi fi a few weeks ago to do a windows update but it's been working since then with no problems. This problem literally started overnight
The laptop is 18 months old and really has been used for 6 of those so shouldn't be any kind of wear and tear type problem.
It has a European powerpack, I've been using a rather expensive plug converter with surge protection and was originally wondering if this would cause any problems with different voltage/power requirements but I've used it in the UK for a month with no problems until now. Also the same problem occurs when using only the battery, disconnected from mains.
I have a SSD, not sure if that would make a difference. It's the first one I've had, I've read they have less of a shelf life than HD drives but like I said, it's only been used for 6 months over an 18 month period.
Has anyone come across anything similar to this before? I'm having trouble finding anything online that specifically refers to what I'm experiencing. Most seem to advise using compressed air through the air vents which I haven't tried but aren't convinced would help. It was in storage for nearly a year up until a month ago and was only used for a few months before that, hardly enough time to collect enough dust to cause these problems.
Edited by hamluis, 25 June 2014 - 10:31 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.