Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 7 Gaming Laptop turns itself off and on !

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jazznb7

jazznb7

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2014 - 09:41 AM

Bit of a strange one this as basically it was working last thing at night and the next morning I had the problem which is that the laptop randomly turns itself off and on. Sometimes it happens after seconds, sometimes it'll be on 5 minutes and I can load up windows etc but then it'll turn off. The strange thing for me is that this happens whether mains connected or battery and with battery disconnected, whichever combination. Also it will turn off and on with the lid closed. Occasionally when windows does load up, when it turns off instead it goes to the hibernate option and I just need to sign back in to windows but before long it'll completely turn off again before randomly powering itself back on. Could it be as simple as a faulty power button? It doesn't always power on straight away when I hold the button down.

Some other information which may help...

The fan turns on and works as normal

No problem with overheating, it happens as soon as you switch on after a long time switched off

I've not been connected to Internet so can't be an update which downloaded or any kind of virus/malware. I did connect to wi fi a few weeks ago to do a windows update but it's been working since then with no problems. This problem literally started overnight

The laptop is 18 months old and really has been used for 6 of those so shouldn't be any kind of wear and tear type problem.

It has a European powerpack, I've been using a rather expensive plug converter with surge protection and was originally wondering if this would cause any problems with different voltage/power requirements but I've used it in the UK for a month with no problems until now. Also the same problem occurs when using only the battery, disconnected from mains.

I have a SSD, not sure if that would make a difference. It's the first one I've had, I've read they have less of a shelf life than HD drives but like I said, it's only been used for 6 months over an 18 month period.

Has anyone come across anything similar to this before? I'm having trouble finding anything online that specifically refers to what I'm experiencing. Most seem to advise using compressed air through the air vents which I haven't tried but aren't convinced would help. It was in storage for nearly a year up until a month ago and was only used for a few months before that, hardly enough time to collect enough dust to cause these problems.

Edited by hamluis, 25 June 2014 - 10:31 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jazznb7

jazznb7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2014 - 10:42 AM

Sorry, posted in the wrong section. Can anyone help?

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,820 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 PM

Posted 25 June 2014 - 11:14 AM

Please...be patient.

When someone thinks that he or she has something to say which may assist you...he/she will do.

Louis

#4 Kirbyofdeath

Kirbyofdeath

• Members
  • 459 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2014 - 11:56 AM

It sounds like the power button is at fault... Randomly turning on and off, having trouble turning it on, all of these are a sign the switch is at fault. Just to make sure, put the computer in the bios menu for about 15 minutes and record what happens.

#5 jazznb7

jazznb7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2014 - 12:40 PM

Thank you for your reply. I don't trust myself to repair that myself but in the meantime just to make it useable again is there a way of bypassing the switch? Perhaps disabling it or somehow swapping it to another key on the keyboard

#6 jazznb7

jazznb7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2014 - 01:44 PM

Just an update. I went onto the bios screen (aptio setup utility F2 on mine) and it still did the same. Is the power button meant to be disabled in biosor something because I could manually press it and turn off from here myself?

#7 Kirbyofdeath

Kirbyofdeath

• Members
  • 459 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2014 - 07:40 PM

No, the power switch is the only way to turn the laptop on and off, because the power switch is the only input device that still works even when the laptop is off. If you don't think you can do it yourself, then ask a hardware savvy friend or pay a repairman to do it for you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users