Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 stuck before welcome screen

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 deepindraw

deepindraw

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 25 June 2014 - 09:25 AM

On 14th of June,there was an automatic update with my Windows 7 Home Premium but it got completed only upto 30% or so and the computer restarted and since then it is stuck just before the welcome screen with black screen and a movable mouse pointer.Nothing works after that. A week or so ago,this problem originally started(my guess is on 6th of June) and everytime I start my laptop,there was this Windows System Repair running and after its completion,the windows started normally. Few weeks before this whole incident,I even tried to backup my system in an external HD but somehow it was always failing..The windows update seemed to be corrputed or something like that when I checked the Windows Update from start menu. Nevertheless,I have tried so many times System Repair but it says it cannot repair the system. 

The Problem Signature were as follows:
Problem Signature 05:  AutoFailover
Problem Signature 07:  BadPatch

I checked the Windows Update folder from Command Prompt in the System Repair. Is there any command to uninstall the last updates from this cmd prompt???I would also like to backup all the files in my PC before doing any changes to it or before repairing it just to be safe of not losing the datas and files. How is it possible with the command prompt?

My PC info:
Acer Aspire 5742G, 320GB HDD, 15.6'' HD LED LCD, DVD Super Multi DL Drive,

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470, 4 GB DDR3 Memory

Windows 7 Home Premium (I don't have the windows key/cd-dvd from this version in my PC)
But I have another Windows 7 Pro installation CD/DVD with the key.

I can provide more infos. about this situation. Please Help! Thanks!

Attached File  SAM_2349 copy2.jpg   247.85KB   0 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 deepindraw

deepindraw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2014 - 09:32 AM

There are no restore points available anymore,the window cannot start in safe mode or any other modes as well

I also tried sfc/scannow, Bootrec.exe repair MBR, Boot Sector, BCD, Bootrec.exe BCD rebuild but still the same.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,003 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 AM

Posted 25 June 2014 - 09:44 AM

Hello and Welcome,

To revert from the last update use this command. 

DISM.exe /Image:C:\test\offline /Cleanup-Image /RevertPendingActions

To transfer files from the unbootable computer you can attach it to another computer or use a small linux distro to copy over the files. I like Puppy linux. Download 5.2.8 and burn the iso. Here is a guide on its usage. You only have to click once on the drive icon in the lower left desktop and the drive will mount automatically. The file manager will open. Attach the USB external drive and click once on it. You can drag and drop between windows. Multiple files and folders can be selected using Ctrl and left click. Select Copy and not Move.

Edited by JohnC_21, 25 June 2014 - 09:45 AM.

#4 deepindraw

deepindraw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2014 - 10:15 AM

I tried with ''dism.exe /Image:D:\test\offline /Clean-Image /RevertPendingActions'' command and its said:

Error: 3

On the image can not be accessed. 
Make sure that the image path and the Windows directory for the image exist and that you have read permissions for the folder.

The DISM log file can be found at X:\Windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log :/

My windows seems to be installed in D: but with command prompt its always opening X:\windows\system32

Edited by deepindraw, 25 June 2014 - 10:23 AM.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,003 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2014 - 10:27 AM

I see the mistake. You should use D: instead of C:  For some reason your system reserved partition has a drive letter of C:

DISM.exe /Image:D:\test\offline /Cleanup-Image /RevertPendingActions

Edited by JohnC_21, 25 June 2014 - 10:28 AM.

#6 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2014 - 10:29 AM

The command provided by John is from:  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh825265.aspx

The correct command is:  DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RevertPendingActions

Per the DISM help (Command prompt: "DISM /?")

IMAGE SPECIFICATIONS:

/Online                 - Targets the RUNNING OPERATING SYSTEM.
  /Image                  - Specifies the path to the root directory of an OFFLINE WINDOWS IMAGE.

Best of luck.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,003 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2014 - 10:37 AM

Thanks for that link scotty_ncc1701. I picked up that other link. Online should be the way to go.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users