Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possible wobbly fan

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MrFrostByt3

MrFrostByt3

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 PM

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:38 AM

This morning when I turned on my PC, I noticed a weird sound, as if the fan was wobbly. The odd thing was, if I placed my hand on top of my PC tower, the wobbling noise stopped. I left a heavy book on top of my tower for 5 minutes, and when I take it off, the sound is no longer there. I've been leaving this book on there just so I don't hear the noise anymore. I just want to make sure, could this have been a temporary thing? Or is something inside there just about to break?

System Specs:

Summary
Operating System
Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
CPU
AMD A8-5500 86 °C
Trinity 32nm Technology
RAM
7.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 799MHz (11-11-12-28)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. CM1745 (FM2 ) 61 °C
Graphics
G206HL (1600x900@60Hz)
G206HL (1600x900@60Hz)
512MB ATI AMD Radeon HD 7560D (ASUStek Computer Inc) 29 °C
Storage
931GB Seagate ST1000DM003-9YN162 (SATA) 32 °C
7GB Lexar USB Flash Drive USB Device (USB)
Optical Drives
ATAPI DVD A DH24ACSH
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:43 AM

Fan bearings wear out over time and can cause vibration. Locate the fan causing the issue and replace it. Open your case and stop the fans 1 at a time by unpugging them. If it is the fan in the power supply (you can't unplug it), I recommend replacing the entire power supply.

Edited by zingo156, 25 June 2014 - 08:45 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 MrFrostByt3

MrFrostByt3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:59 AM

I consider myself s little tech savvy when it comes to software dealings. However, removing the case on my PC scares me to death every time I do it.

How would I go about stopping an individual fan?

Also, I just took that heavy book off, and the sound is gone. If that helps on.

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2014 - 09:33 AM

The fan may settle down as it heats up. Cold fans generally make more noise than warmed up fans. There should be no danger in removing the side panel from the case of your computer. To stop the fans you can unplug them or touch your finger to the center of the fan to slow it down gently until it stops, just be careful not to touch the blades as this may damage the fan and possibly your finger...

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#5 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2014 - 10:01 AM

Your system doesn't appear to be very old so it was probably a poorly made fan. Computer fans are very cheap to make and replace- and you might not even need it if you have a CPU fan, FP Fan, and if your PSU has a good fan installed.

#6 MrFrostByt3

MrFrostByt3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2014 - 10:45 AM

I'm going to check tomorrow morning on that boot up if it still makes the noise. If it doesn't, I'll consider it a one time thing. If it makes the noise, I'll just go buy a better quality fan, along with a few more upgrades since I'm back there.

Thanks for all your help guys, and if anyone else has advice, feel free to say.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users