Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Colossus" worm, virus, trojan?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Gadgetman728

Gadgetman728

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:28 AM

Hi all,

This is a question for anybody here : has anyone ever heard of "Colossus" worm, virus, trojan?

I own a small computer repair business, and a customer (man- late 20's to 30ish) came in claiming he had written a virus called "Colossus". He said this was a long time ago, and he spoke of Win98 and earlier. He doesn't seem old enough. 

He also claimed to shut down an internet cafe with "Code he'd written". Probably script kiddie stuff. He also wanted a copy of DOS to dual boot with win 7.? I ask him why not just use one of the many Linux OS's out there, and he looked confused & unaware. 

I can build and repair most computers, but I know nothing of coding or computer languages, other than a bit of command line for net\working and a few linux commands. I guess I can understand a "programmer" to not know much about the workings of a home computer.

BUT - I think this guy is Full of something.     Any thoughts from the peanut gallery?

Edited by Gadgetman728, 25 June 2014 - 09:35 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 25 June 2014 - 03:04 PM

A quick search turned up nothing.  I've been using IBM compatible computers since DOS 3.3.  Prior to that I was on the Commodores from the early 80s.  I've been doing IT work professionally since Windows 3.11.  I've never heard of the Colossus anything.  If he was 30 years old, he would have been about 14 when Windows 98 came out, 16 if you waited until 2000.  I think you're right that he was just blowing smoke.  My experience is that those that can don't need to brag.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 26 June 2014 - 08:07 PM

If he is a programmer, it's possible that he wrote some type of program with "malicious code" and named it Colossus. That's does not mean it was widely distributed or included a damaging payload to warrant a detection by anti-virus software. As you said..."Probably script kiddie stuff." and bragging about it made him feel important.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 Guest_Kaosu_*

Guest_Kaosu_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 28 June 2014 - 04:29 PM

I was extremely active in the VX scene during this era and I have never heard of it. Back in those days, it was pretty rare for developers not to want to share their code or discuss their techniques with the VX community. It may have been a complete copy/paste or something silly like that, which would explain why he didn't want to share his code, ha ha.

I wouldn't try to call him out on it. Just let him live in his own little fantasy world if it makes him happy.

Edited by Kaosu, 28 June 2014 - 04:31 PM.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,470 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2014 - 10:18 PM

As I said...it makes him feel important.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users