Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Security on puppy precise?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Red Kelt

Red Kelt

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 AM

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:24 AM

Hello all.

I've finally managed to load up Puppy Precise on an old laptop which used Win XP.

I've got Norton and MBAM subscriptions, can I use these for security on linux OSs?

What the best way to wipe XP from the disk and leave it ready to accept another linux OS should I wish to fully install one?

Edited by hamluis, 25 June 2014 - 09:15 AM.
Moved from Gen Security to Linux - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,390 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:29 AM

What the best way to wipe XP from the disk and leave it ready to accept another linux OS

Gparted. Its on the Precise Disk   system tools I think.

GParted partitioning software - Full tutorial

I've got Norton and MBAM subscriptions, can I use these for security on linux OSs?

No all you need is default settings on firewall.

Go here update SSL and firefox.

Reminder To Update Puppy Linux .

Edited by NickAu1, 25 June 2014 - 08:31 AM.

#3 badr0b0t

badr0b0t

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 AM

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:30 AM

Puppy comes with its own security or you can get one from software center. Your Windows versions will not work on Puppy.

If you intend to wipe out XP, you don't really need to wipe it out first. It will automatically get re-formatted when you install Linux on it. But there's also a hard disk utility in Puppy that you can use to format your hard drive.

sig07.gif?psid=1

(Click sig to enlarge.)                                                    

#4 Red Kelt

Red Kelt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 AM

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:32 AM

Thanks.

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,390 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:34 AM

It will automatically get re-formatted when you install Linux on it

With Puppy you need to do the partitioning and format in Gparted first, In 5.7.1 its not automatic If you do not the installer will send you to Gparted to do it.. Use the whole drive in you case or a partition format as ext4 and set flag as boot.

After you install puppy to HDD remember to also install grub.

Edited by NickAu1, 25 June 2014 - 08:41 AM.

#6 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,881 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 AM

Posted 25 June 2014 - 10:37 AM

Puppy comes with its own security or you can get one from software center.

The only security system I've seen in Package Manager for Precise is ClamAV, which as far as I understand is an older version that's no longer supported. I had problems installing it, and I have been unable to find anyone who actually uses it to verify that the virus definitions for that version are still being updated.

I have F-Prot installed on Lucid that I downloaded from F-Prot, but it's designed for scanning Window's partitions and trying to scan Puppy with it results in continual segmentation fault errors.

There is an older version of F-Prot in Package Manager on Lucid, which I also installed to another installation just to try it out, but couldn't get the virus definitions to update so assume it's an older version that's no longer supported.

Possibly the easiest option for a Puppy user who wants to be as sure as they can be that they have an operating system that has not been compromised, and I'm not suggesting there is a realistic chance of that happening... but to be on the ultra-safe side one could use an additional Puppy on a multi-session CD, for things like internet banking and financial transactions etc and even browsing the internet in general - set the CD up once and save settings and bookmarks or whatever at the end of the session, then never save anything to it again.

Or, using Puppy in ''live'' mode it's also possible to set a savefile on USB (and I should imagine HD as well), by editing the relevant system file, so that there are no automatic saves including at shut down. I have a Lucid savefile on USB set up this way, and the only way to save to it is to use the ''save'' icon on the desktop. So if I do want to change settings or install software etc, I can do so straight after booting up, press the save icon straight after I've changed whatever I'm changing, and be as sure as I can be that that's all that I am saving.

No doubt spending their time trying to hack Windows, and even Mint and Ubuntu etc, would prove far more productive for unscrupulous hackers that trying to get the better of us security conscious Puppy users. :)

Edited by Al1000, 25 June 2014 - 10:42 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users