Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor standby not working via HDMI cable

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Taoki

Taoki

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 PM

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:16 AM

About two months ago, I got myself a full-HD LED monitor. I've been running it on a DVI port until several days ago, and everything has been working perfectly. But now I bought a HDMI cable, and switched my PC and monitor to use it via the HDMI ports. Although in essence it's working, there's one little problem; Instead of going in standby mode, the monitor prints a "no signal" message and soon shuts itself down. Whenever I get back, I have to manually power it on again.

I looked through the monitor's settings menus, but haven't found anything in this sense. Even if I turn power saving off or specify "PC mode" the issue takes place. My monitor is an LG 24EN43, and this is where I bought it from which also lists its specifications in more detail. My video card is a Radeon HD 6870. I'm running openSUSE 13.1 x64 Linux with KDE 4.13.2, and the free video drivers shipped with my distro (Gallium / MESA). Like I said, the problem doesn't happen via DVI, and only on HDMI.

Any suggestion is welcome, but please keep from pointing out the obvious and suggesting I switch back to DVI. Although DVI and HDMI quality is reported to be the same, I'd like to stick with the HDMI cable. Apart from offering more settings in the monitor's menus, the image quality does feel a little bit better for some strange reason. That and, considering my current financial situation, I didn't pay for a cable just to put it in a shelf and leave it there. If there's really no way at all to fix monitor standby with HDMI, I might or might not consider switching back to DVI, but I'm only curious if there is a solution or not.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 badr0b0t

badr0b0t

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:46 AM

That doesn't sound right. But if you are gonna ask me, you don't need to use HDMI on that monitor. In terms of resolution, there's no difference between DVI and HDMI that can be noticed by a regular user. Both can transmit digital signals in high video resolution.The only big difference is that DVI only transmits video signal and HDMI transmits both video and audio. But since your monitor does not have a built-in speaker, there is no need to use HDMI. Use the HDMI if you want to hook up your PC to an HDTV.

Edited by badr0b0t, 25 June 2014 - 08:48 AM.

sig07.gif?psid=1

(Click sig to enlarge.)                                                    

#3 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,800 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 PM

Posted 25 June 2014 - 09:50 AM

A lot of systems and HDTV sets have alot of handshaking going on, and a standard has not been set for HDTV and CPU protocols and cross manufacturer standards.  I have the HDMI port on the PC going to the TV and the DVI to the monitor.  If the PC is on already and the TV is powered up, the monitor will blank until reset.  Just a quirk to live with.

#4 badr0b0t

badr0b0t

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2014 - 09:59 AM

A lot of systems and HDTV sets have alot of handshaking going on, and a standard has not been set for HDTV and CPU protocols and cross manufacturer standards.  I have the HDMI port on the PC going to the TV and the DVI to the monitor.  If the PC is on already and the TV is powered up, the monitor will blank until reset.  Just a quirk to live with.

Is it on extended mode? Is the monitor set up as the main display? Because I don't have that issue with my HTPC dual display setup in my living room.

Edited by badr0b0t, 25 June 2014 - 11:24 AM.

sig07.gif?psid=1

(Click sig to enlarge.)                                                    

#5 Taoki

Taoki
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2014 - 01:32 PM

Like I said, I might or might not revert back to DVI. I wasn't however aware that HDMI is a protocol which might have not been designed for full support with PC's, due to its general nature as both a PC and TV port.

And for me, this monitor is the only display connected to my computer, so it's the main display. I admit I'm not familiar with what extended mode means here. How do I check, if your statement applies to my case too?

#6 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,800 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 PM

Posted 25 June 2014 - 01:33 PM

Some sets and setups are just quirky.  Many have no problems,  some are solved with a hit or miss solution at a power up sequence.  Mine, just isn't happy with the handshake coming from the Vizio unit. to a Lenovo desktop.  The VGA port blanks too so it's something in the onboard Intel video. 

Edited by mjd420nova, 25 June 2014 - 01:33 PM.

#7 Taoki

Taoki
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2014 - 01:42 PM

Some sets and setups are just quirky.  Many have no problems,  some are solved with a hit or miss solution at a power up sequence.  Mine, just isn't happy with the handshake coming from the Vizio unit. to a Lenovo desktop.  The VGA port blanks too so it's something in the onboard Intel video. 

Ok. Looking at other threads on Google, some report that monitor standby works via HDMI while others say it doesn't. I'm firstly trying to determine if HDMI cables simply don't send the signal needed for monitors to enter stand-by mode at all.

Could this be the case? Also, could HDMI cables differ and maybe some makes don't carry the stand-by signal? I basically got the cheapest I could find (3M long), but I read the cable shouldn't matter much.

Edited by Taoki, 25 June 2014 - 01:42 PM.

#8 badr0b0t

badr0b0t

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2014 - 01:43 PM

Like I said, I might or might not revert back to DVI. I wasn't however aware that HDMI is a protocol which might have not been designed for full support with PC's, due to its general nature as both a PC and TV port.

And for me, this monitor is the only display connected to my computer, so it's the main display. I admit I'm not familiar with what extended mode means here. How do I check, if your statement applies to my case too?

No.The "extended mode" is not for you. It's for the other post I quoted.

sig07.gif?psid=1

(Click sig to enlarge.)                                                    

#9 badr0b0t

badr0b0t

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2014 - 01:54 PM

Ok. Looking at other threads on Google, some report that monitor standby works via HDMI while others say it doesn't.

Given that the HDMI (in your case) does not send signal to switch the monitor to standby mode, I guess you could try connecting both DVI and HDMI just so that the DVI will send a signal to the monitor to go on standby mode. There is nothing wrong about having 2 cables plugged in at the same time. One of my monitors is plugged in both on HDMI and VGA at the same time. I need the VGA for the external TV tuner passing through the PC.

Edited by badr0b0t, 25 June 2014 - 02:06 PM.

sig07.gif?psid=1

(Click sig to enlarge.)                                                    

#10 Taoki

Taoki
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2014 - 03:12 PM

Given that the HDMI (in your case) does not send signal to switch the monitor to standby mode, I guess you could try connecting both DVI and HDMI just so that the DVI will send a signal to the monitor to go on standby mode. There is nothing wrong about having 2 cables plugged in at the same time. One of my monitors is plugged in both on HDMI and VGA at the same time. I need the VGA for the external TV tuner passing through the PC.

So it's certain that this is the issue? If so, which part is at fault? The video card, the monitor, or the HDMI cable? I could use both cables, but it doesn't make sense to in this case... I might just stick with DVI.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users