Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

File Hippo

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Little_Bit

Little_Bit

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 AM

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:00 AM

Hi!

I downloaded filehippo and it suggested several updates for my computer.  Above the Updates it noted:  "RECOMMENDED.  Click here to download and update all drivers"  and below that you could download each one individually.  I chose the recommended, all of them at once.

This took me to:  "download pc driver - DRIVERMANAGER - update pc drivers.  I did that and ended up downloading in french, and now they are asking me for a payment.

All I wanted to do was download the updates from FileHippo.  

Question:  Should I have just downloaded each update from filehippo individually?  Does drivermanger have anything to do with filehippo? or was I redirected to a new site?  It gets so confusing.  

All of this started because my computer wants me to update Java and I was not sure I could trust it???   So now I am sitting here confused with many windows open, as usual!  

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 AM

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:33 AM

IMHO, updates should only be downloaded directly from the author's site.  I use Filehippo, but if I see a program that I think I want, I go directly to the author's site to download it.

Have a great day1

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,732 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 AM

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:50 AM

This took me to:  "download pc driver - DRIVERMANAGER - update pc drivers.

Drivermanager and what else? 3rd party driver updating software can cause issues.

And sometimes install other 3rd party apps, Maybe you should also read.

Am I Infected? What do I do? How do I get help? Who is helping me?

#4 Little_Bit

Little_Bit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2014 - 10:05 AM

Thank you for the responses.  I ended up deleting driver manager because i am not sure what it is.  Now I am back to whether or not I update my java as it keeps popping up to update.  I guess i should also delete filehippo as well?  I thought filehippo was supposed to be good to use so you dont miss updates.  thanks

#5 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 25 June 2014 - 10:25 AM

You probably didnt download filhipo its a website,drivermanager is just  one of those applications that helps you update your system drivers and charges you for it,just uninstall it - your better downloading new drivers individualy from the manufacturers website,

your computer uses lots of drivers for the system and for running software,unless your computer is experiencing performance issues you probably dont need many driver updates.

Have a look at this link,tells you about drivers.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/ht/update-drivers-win

Java is used to run applications and display webpages,you should let it update if your running it,its less of a security risk.

Info and downloads here.

https://www.java.com/en/download/faq/whatis_java.xml

Edited by Wolverine 7, 25 June 2014 - 10:28 AM.

#6 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2014 - 10:44 AM

I believe he is talking about Filehippo Update Checker. The Filehippo website distributes other downloads but the Update Checker is their own product. I guess it's similar to Secunia which is what I use.

#7 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 26 June 2014 - 04:45 PM

I believe he is talking about Filehippo Update Checker.

Yes thanks.i never came across that one,guess it had a link to the Driver Manager.

#8 InsertUsernameHere

InsertUsernameHere

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 AM

Posted 27 June 2014 - 12:20 PM

If you are talking about-

http://www.drivermanager.com/

-you might want to poke around a little-

http://community.norton.com/t5/Other-Norton-Products/Driver-Manager/td-p/573320

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-windows_programs/remove-drivermanagercom-software-thank-you-for/991b182f-e17e-49f5-9585-220fe107ce5f

http://www.webutations.info/go/review/drivermanager.com

http://www.bbb.org/delaware/Business-Reviews/computer-software-publishers-and-developers/driver-manager-in-wilmington-de-32003189/customer-reviews

To add my $.02 to scotty_ncc1701's great advice, "IMHO, updates should only be downloaded directly from the author's site.  I use Filehippo, but if I see a program that I think I want, I go directly to the author's site to download it.", I like using a few tools with some overlapping functionality for software updates (a decent enterprise tool in an enterprise environment, good old Microsoft Update, and right now I'm pretty fond of Qualys BrowserCheck, and Secunia PSI). However, outside of an enterprise tool in a corporate environment, I prefer using these as informational tools, rather than for any inherent update functionality. I like to make my own decisions on what should be updated, and how, and from where. Even the best of 3rd party update tools can be kinda wonky sometimes, and I prefer the granularity of doing individual updates manually directly from the author's (or, if necessary other trusted site) if it becomes troubleshooting time.

Also, I think you are more likely to catch sneaky, hitchhiking, not-quite-malware doing updates as one offs. If you do this as a regular process, like backing up, it doesn't take too much time.

An exception to general software updating is device drivers and such. If you have, for example, a Dell desktop, you can go to Dell's site, punch in your system info, and get Dell tested drivers for your system. If you go to the device manufacturer's site, you may get the latest and greatest driver, but it also may not be compatible with your system. So, caveat ummm... downloader.

Also, really, if you are not having any problems, how often do you need to update driver software? I wouldn't neglect it, but if I haven't checked for device drivers on a machine in a week, or even a month, I don't loose too much sleep over it. If I haven't checked for a new version of Java first thing every morning, that makes me a wee bit uncomfortable. YMMV. Some things have faster update cycles than others, and some things are more commonly used as attack vectors than others. If you don't have a comfort level with discerning and assessing those kinds of risks, I would err on the side of caution, and check more often.

Finally, RE: "All of this started because my computer wants me to update Java and I was not sure I could trust it???   So now I am sitting here confused"

1) Rule of thumb: Never follow any pop-up kinda thing that tells you to download or update anything, ever. Independently find and go to the purported software author's site and go through the process there (basically do an out-of-band verification first, and then update from the official site, if necessary). For Java, that is Java.com. That is the official Java site. As far as not being sure you can trust it, and sitting there confused, join the rest of us :) We're pretty sure we can't trust it, even from the official site, because Java has been, and presumably will remain, heavily issue-laden. We sit here confused too, uninstall it when we can get away with it, and deal with the uncertainty of when the next bad news about Java will be released, and hoping that we won't get hit by whatever the bad guys throw at us if we have to run it.  

I hope some of this helps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users