Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

wiped HD clean, installing Windows 7-can't detect HD

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 jakester174

jakester174

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 25 June 2014 - 07:14 AM

Hi, I'm hoping someone can help me to get my issue solved.

Long story short, I have a Toshiba Satellite L305-S5908 which use to run Vista.  I recently wiped clean the entire HD (yes I did back-up everything).  I then started installing Windows 7 but when it asked during the install "where to install Windows 7" it was not showing the HD.

In another forum they suggested (at this point of the install - "where to install Windows 7") to select shift + F10, and type in DISKPART.  I followed those steps but got stuck (as you see below).   Now I have no clue what to do.  Could someone please give me suggestions that have worked?

This is where I'm stuck.....

---------------------------------------------

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]

X:\Sources>DISKPART

Microsoft DiskPart Version 6.1.7601

DISKPART> list volume

Volumn ###     Ltr    Label                      Fs      Type                   Size         Status        Info

Volumn 0         D      W7SP1_HOMEP   UDF    DVD_Rom        5359MB   Healthy

Volumn 1         C                                    Raw    Partition             298 GB   Healthy

Volumn 2         E                                                Removable             0  B    No media

DISKPART> select disk 1

Disk 1 is now the selected disk.

DISKPART> clean

Virtural Disk Service error:

There is no media in the drive.

DISKPART> convert mbr

Virtual Disk Service error:

The specificed disk is not convertible because the size is less than the minimum size required for GPT disks.

DISKPART> create partition primary

No usable free extent could be found.  It may be that there is insufficient free space to create a partition at the specified size and offset.  Specify different size and offset values or don't speicify either to create the maximum sized partition.  It maybe that the disk is partitioned using the MBR disk partitioning format and the disk contains either 4 primary partitions, (no more partitions maybe created), or 3 primary partitions and one extended partition, (only logical drives may be created).

---------------------------------------------------------------

What do I do now??????

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,752 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 AM

Posted 25 June 2014 - 07:16 AM

Volumn 1         C                                    Raw   Partition             298 GB   Healthy

Shouldn't that read

Volumn 1         C                                  NTFS or Fat32 Partition             298 GB   Healthy  ??

Edited by NickAu1, 25 June 2014 - 07:21 AM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,855 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 25 June 2014 - 07:18 AM

You have a legal license...and Win 7 disk?

I have never used Diskpart so I can't answer anything about that...but the typical way to install Win 7 is to insert the disk, then create partition/format, following the prompts from the install disk.

Does your BIOS detect the presence of a hard drive properly?

Louis

#4 jakester174

jakester174
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2014 - 07:33 AM

Hi Nick, and Louis,

thank you for the quick reply. 

Nick:  no it says "raw".   You see I completely wiped clean my HD (because I wanted to get rid of extra junk inside - malware, etc).  That is what is says when I type in DISKPART & follow the steps.  I'm not sure what it means, "raw".

Louis:  yes I purchased an official Microsoft Windows 7 install CD.  I have the license or product code (whatever you call it) that came with the CD (small sticker on the CD cover with the hologram and the product code).   I boot up from the CD/DVD drive, and begin the process as usual  (as is shown in many Windows 7 Install tutorials).  But when I reach the stage of "where to install Windows 7" the box does not show my HD, its completely blank.   I click the "load drivers" link but I have to find the driver.  I went online to find a driver for the Toshiba HD but nothing is there on the Toshiba website for my Satellite.  

But how can I install a "driver" when the HD is not even showing up during the install?  I'm just very confused.  I don't want to end up taking this to "Geek Squad" or Best Buy and pay $125 to get it fixed.

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,752 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2014 - 07:40 AM

If you cant do what Louis said.

I don't want to end up taking this to "Geek Squad" or Best Buy and pay $125 to get it fixed.

As a last resort,  As the drive can be seen and is raw this SHOULD work, You said you have deleted the partition so I guess you have no file recovery to worry about.

GParted is a free partition editor for graphically managing your disk partitions.

With GParted you can resize, copy, and move partitions without data loss, enabling you to:

• Grow or shrink your C: drive
  • Create space for new operating systems
  • Attempt data rescue from lost partitions
  • Create new Partitions .

http://gparted.org/

Normaly a corrupt drive or a drive with deleted partition table shows up like this. I corrupted that USB stick by unpluging it while it was being formated with gparted just for these screen shots.

Please note I had to select it from the dropdown list/box on the right first, Just look for /dev/sda  298 GB or there abouts thats the HDD .

16m1stu.png

Fixing Partition table. Making sure you select the correct drive. Click on Device Fix partition table

Once the Partition table is fixed it looks like this.

i2iyhz.png

Then you Add a partition and do that funky stuff like NTFS or ext4.

saxv1j.png

hsp56v.png

And the result.

34o6e1g.png

That was the quick easy way, Now you can try installing windows.

Edited by NickAu1, 25 June 2014 - 06:25 PM.

#6 jakester174

jakester174
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:01 AM

Thanks Nick, I shall try GParted later today.  One question thou, when it gets to the "Create New Partition" screen what File System should I select?  NTFS...ext4....? 

I'll update later what happens.  Thanks again for your help.  I hope this works.

#7 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,752 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:04 AM

You are welcome.

NTFS. However it shouldn't matter as long as there is a partition table and the drive is formated and not raw Windows installer will reformat.

Members please NOTE, That I use words like format, In this case there is no data on the HDD, Doing this on a drive with data on it will destroy the data.

Edited by NickAu1, 25 June 2014 - 08:25 AM.

#8 jakester174

jakester174
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2014 - 07:02 AM

Hi again, so I went and downloaded the GParted.  I then copied it to a CD, and inserted it into the CD drive.  However (the laptop is set to boot from the CD drive) it started up and did not boot up (the GParted I mean).  Should I have "burned" it instead of copying it?  I'm doing something wrong obviously.

#9 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 AM

Posted 26 June 2014 - 07:17 AM

Yes, create a disk with the image, or burn the image to disk... don't copy the data to disk.

#10 jakester174

jakester174
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2014 - 07:31 AM

Thanks!  I knew I messed this up. :oopsign:

I appreciate your help.  I'll update later what happens.

#11 jakester174

jakester174
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2014 - 06:31 AM

Good news!  My HD is formatted and the Windows 7 install finished perfectly!   Thanks to everyone for your great input.

I got the GParted burned to my CD, shut down the laptop and booted up from the CD drive and boom, GParted started up.  It took no more than 10 mins (start to finish).  After GParted finished I loaded in the Windows 7 install disk and an hour later my old laptop was alive again  :bananas:  

I will definitely come back here for any future IT issues I might run into.  Thanks again to everyone for your timely responses!

#12 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,752 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2014 - 08:02 AM

Told you it was quick and easy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users