Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Nvidia driver update?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 RedRay

RedRay

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 25 June 2014 - 05:13 AM

Hey, I cannot seem to find my nvidia version of my dirver.  I have the update, but I saw that it only works for windows vista.  I use nvidia Geforce 9400 GT and windows xp.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 451 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 25 June 2014 - 07:15 AM

Maybe this will help...

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/75993/en-us

#3 RedRay

RedRay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:11 AM

Ehh you know where can I find my version of driver?  If someone can give an installation guide to work for xp that would be great :D

Edited by RedRay, 25 June 2014 - 08:14 AM.

#4 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 451 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2014 - 09:13 AM

If you are looking for the version you have currently installed, it should be in the NVIDIA control panel that is installed with your current driver.

The latest version is 337.88. It requires no manual installation steps other than to download and execute the installation. There should be an option to perform a clean install in the steps offered.

The link I offered you also has release notes and users guides under the ADDITIONAL INFORMATION tab. These are in PDF format.

#5 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,617 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2014 - 09:36 AM

In the link that old rocker provided (Operating System Windows XP)

In the supported products tab, there is GeForce 9 Series:

GeForce 9800 GX2, GeForce 9800 GTX/GTX+, GeForce 9800 GT, GeForce 9600 GT, GeForce 9600 GSO, GeForce 9600 GSO 512, GeForce 9600 GS, GeForce 9500 GT, GeForce 9500 GS, GeForce 9400 GT, GeForce 9400, GeForce 9300 GS, GeForce 9300 GE, GeForce 9300 SE, GeForce 9300, GeForce 9200, GeForce 9100

--- Note that GeForce 9400 GT is included

--- I don't know how Vista might apply to you

This link http://www.geforce.com/drivers allows you to have Nvidia to auto detect your GPU

On the installation guide idea, usually you can download the driver

--- Is this the original GPU on your XP?

I have had a few times in which I have connected to VGA, removed a video card or uninstalled a video driver and shut down the computer

Started back up so the computer runs with VGA video 

Shut down the computer again

Reinstalled the video card and started back up with the video card in effect

The computer looks for new hardware and installs the correct driver according to your choice

I'm not an expert and maybe an expert can chime in on a better procedure, I just wanted to let you know what worked for me

#6 RedRay

RedRay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2014 - 05:16 AM

Well yea, as far as I know this is the only video card I used on this computer.  I was wandering do I still need to delete the old stuff then install the new?

#7 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,617 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2014 - 07:00 AM

"Well yea, as far as I know this is the only video card I used on this computer"

--- Why are you trying to update the driver yourself? Are you having video problems?

"I was wandering do I still need to delete the old stuff then install the new?"

--- What old stuff are you wondering about?

I don't understand why you need to find the correct driver for your nvidia Geforce 9400 GT yet as well as what does Vista have to do with your issue?

--- Remove the video card

--- Start the computer and run the built in VGA

--- Shut the computer down and reinsert the nvidia Geforce 9400 GT card

--- Start the computer back up

--- The computer should notify you that new hardware is installed and should install the latest driver

------ Doesn't the computer do that?

--- Then check Windows Update

#8 RedRay

RedRay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2014 - 07:20 AM

Nah i just got the wrong update and it was for vista so nvm that.  Some applications act weird when my video card drivers are out of date such as rendering is wrong and game crashes.  Video card is fine, just wanna play some games without a lot of issues.  The "stuff" i was wondering about was the old drivers and other programs related to nvidia.

#9 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 451 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2014 - 08:32 AM

Red Ray

Did you follow the link I sent you? Did you download and save the driver? If so please jump to Step 3.

Step 1. Please make this easy on yourself and choose the link below. This is the manual with answers to 99.9% of your questions.

Step 2. Please refer to Chapter 02 : THE RELEASE 337 DRIVER FOR WINDOWS XP Driver Installation.

Step 3. Execute the downloaded file read each step carefully and resolve all of your issues.

Link: http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/337.88/337.88-winxp-desktop-release-notes.pdf

#10 RedRay

RedRay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2014 - 08:52 AM

So no need to remove the old drivers and just run the program?

lol my driver is still 181.something must be really old.  No wonder some of my games ain't rendering well.

Edited by RedRay, 26 June 2014 - 09:05 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users