Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer shuts down after power on, and then turn on

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JacobKei

JacobKei

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 25 June 2014 - 04:41 AM

Hey guys,

I am asking for your help, if you are experienced with this kind of issue.

So, my problem is, when I press the power button on my computer and after 3-6 seconds (right before windows loading screen shows) and it shuts down, and right after that, it will turn on by itself and everything goes well. So problem is just with the first lunch from "off" state.

Sometimes happen that when I press the power button, led power diode is on an right after that is off and then computer turn on itself and sometimes it does again (like I mentioned above) right before windows loading screen.

It have to be some problem before powering on and loading windows, but I cannot determine where is the problem exactly. Is there some log file, where I can found some fail information or something?

I also tried to change battery on motherboard, but with no change.

My specs are:

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87-HD3
CPU: i5-4570S
PS: FRACTAL Newton R3 Smart Modular 600W
RAM: Crucial 8GB RAM DDR3 1600MHz
Graphic Card: MSI N760 Hawk LE
Disc: SSD Samsung 840 EVO 250GB
Windows 8.1 64-bit

Thanks for any advice. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,848 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 AM

Posted 25 June 2014 - 09:57 AM

This sounds like a power supply fault.  It tries to start but senses a fault and resets, starting okay the second time.

#3 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 25 June 2014 - 10:03 AM

I'd also check the BIOS Power Management settings to see what options are selected. Generally I set my systems to remain off after a power loss or hard shutdown.

#4 JacobKei

JacobKei
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2014 - 10:44 AM

This sounds like a power supply fault.  It tries to start but senses a fault and resets, starting okay the second time.

I though I should blame windows, but when it does even right after the turning on, I was blaming motherboard or something, but why after second startup Power supply going pretty well? 

I'd also check the BIOS Power Management settings to see what options are selected. Generally I set my systems to remain off after a power loss or hard shutdown.

I will check it out, thanks for the tip.

Edited by JacobKei, 25 June 2014 - 10:45 AM.

#5 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,848 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2014 - 01:37 PM

Often the voltage regulators don't like a cold start but will work on the second attempt.  Eventually it will take multiple tries to get a good start,  then not at all.  I have a monitor that won't start unless powered on for an hour before attempting a display and the multiple restarts gets a display.  Looking for a replacement now.

#6 JacobKei

JacobKei
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2014 - 01:54 PM

Often the voltage regulators don't like a cold start but will work on the second attempt.  Eventually it will take multiple tries to get a good start,  then not at all.  I have a monitor that won't start unless powered on for an hour before attempting a display and the multiple restarts gets a display.  Looking for a replacement now.

Well, that's weird. So do you think I wont harm anything or I should found some "repair" service?

Is somewhere some tools, which can determine what exactly causes this problem for exactly?

#7 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,848 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2014 - 09:26 PM

I would be sure everything is backed up, you could continue until failure.  Make two sets of backups.  A multimeter on the power supply voltage would confirm the failure to start.  I suspect the 5 volt supply.  Yes, get a tech to check it out.  Does the unit restart??  Will it cold start (pull the plug) after having run for a while??

#8 JacobKei

JacobKei
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2014 - 02:27 AM

I would be sure everything is backed up, you could continue until failure.  Make two sets of backups.  A multimeter on the power supply voltage would confirm the failure to start.  I suspect the 5 volt supply.  Yes, get a tech to check it out.  Does the unit restart??  Will it cold start (pull the plug) after having run for a while??

Ok, I will definitely try to contact some tech to check it out, that will be the best way for me I suppose. Thank you very much for your replies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users