Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

unmountable_boot_volume Toshiba Satellite

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 yourpalhal

yourpalhal

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 AM

Posted 25 June 2014 - 02:54 AM

I have a Toshiba Satellite L675D-S7046, running Windows 7 home Prem 32. I have the blue screen of death. It absoulutely will not load into safe mode. =(   Is my computer toast? do I need a new hard drive. memory? What can I do, anything, really racking my brain here, I have tried all the f12, F2, F8, right now I got it to starting windows and it just stays there. Thank you in advance for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,587 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 25 June 2014 - 06:44 AM

The error in the title of your thread indicates a problem with the hd.

Hard Drive Diagnostics:

http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287 

Make sure you select the tool which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.

Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.

If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurnhttp://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), to make the CD bootable.

For Toshiba drives, see here: http://sdd.toshiba.com/main.aspx?Path=ServicesSupport/FujitsuDrivesUSandCanada/SoftwareUtilities#diagnostic

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,933 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 AM

Posted 25 June 2014 - 07:11 AM

Is my computer toast?

I guess you could also try a Linux Live Distro to test the pc and if it boots first thing Recover your files, music, photos. If the HDD works.

Select the 32 bit one burn it as iso to dvd or USB set pc to boot from DVD or USB see what happens.

Download Ubuntu Desktop | Download | Ubuntu

Edited by NickAu1, 25 June 2014 - 07:12 AM.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#4 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2014 - 11:34 AM

You can make a repair disc on any Windows 7 32 bit system and try doing a repair.  Click Start -> Control Panel -> Backup and Restore -> Create system repair disc.  Insert a blank CD-R and it'll create it.  Then boot from that disc and try the repair.  You can also boot to command prompt with that repair disc and copy your data using DOS commands like COPY and XCOPY.  For the syntax, just type one of these with /? after them, and it'll show you.  You could also run chkdsk from the command prompt and let it check for and attempt repair of any bad sectors.  Just type chkdsk /f /r.  Be aware that this could run for an hour or two.

Re hard drive diagnostics, I like Seatools that you can download from the Seagate web site.  You can use the DOS version since your system won't boot.  Check out the SMART data whatever diagnostic you run because that will tell you whether your hard drive is failing.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,407 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2014 - 12:09 PM

I agree with Allan regarding the hdd.

If you are running Windows 7 or 8 on the computer you make the disc from you can use the Burn Disk Image in Windows.

How to burn ISO image using Windows Burn Disk Image.

Notice:  This applies only to Windows 7 and Windows 8, earlier versions do not have this.

1.  Place a blank CD or DVD in the tray of your optical drive and close the tray.

2.  After you have downloaded the ISO image you want to burn right click on the Start orb, then choose Windows Explorer.

3.  When Explorer opens click on Downloads in the left pane.  Scroll down till you find the ISO file you want and double click on it.  Click on Burn Disk Image.

4.  In the image below you will see Disk burner:, this should be set to the optical drive you want to use.  Click on Verify disc after burning if you want to Windows to verity the disc image after burn.  Click on burn.

burndiskimage1_zpsb502b181.png

5.  In the image below you can see that the green progress bar, when the image is finished burning the bar will be filled.

burndiskimage2_zps17a9d6ff.png

6.  After the image has completed being burned click on Close.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 yourpalhal

yourpalhal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2014 - 12:00 AM

I guess i wasn't clear. I can't get to my windows. I'm not concerned with any data or pictures on my laptop, I have already taken what I needed a long time ago. I will explain what exactly happens when I turn on the computer. Toshiba emblem comes up, then it goes to a screen that basically states that windows failed to stare, do I want to launch startup repair or start windows normally, either way, it goes to the colorful windows emblem and states starting windows, and goes back to the same page stating windows failed to start. I cannot get into safemode, that gives me the blue screen. I have the restore discs, but I can't even get anywhere to use them. I'm wondering if I replace the hard drive if the computer will work. Is this a sign that the laptop is bad, or the hard drive or what, how can you tell. Thank you for all your help and advice.

#7 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,587 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2014 - 07:31 AM

I understood your post. Please follow the instructions in my post above.

#8 yourpalhal

yourpalhal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2014 - 06:10 PM

well, then i am confused Allen, how am I suppose to burn anything when I can't get to anything? i put a cd in and it doesn't go to anything but what i explained it did before, please write slowly so that I can understand. (lol) So if you would, please explain what you mean and how I am able to do this and why. thank you

#9 yourpalhal

yourpalhal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2014 - 06:14 PM

ok, I think i got it, you are assuming I have another computer with Windows 7 on it, so that I can download blah blah blah. Well, unfortunately i do not, I am currently using a windows vista laptop and my ipad. Do you think if I put in a new HD that my laptop will work?

#10 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,587 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2014 - 06:47 AM

No, you would need to have access to another system to burn a disc. If you have a W7 dvd you can boot to that and run the System Repair Tool and run chkdsk/r from that, but you are best off using a dedicated hd diagnostic utility as described above. If none of this is possible, you'll just have to replace the hard drive, but then you'll still need a Windows disc to do a new install unless you happen to have a disc image saved externally.

#11 yourpalhal

yourpalhal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2014 - 01:37 PM

ok, I have my windows & repair disc, I tried to repair my computer to no avail, SO now I will change out the HD, thank you so much for all your help!

#12 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2014 - 04:29 PM

Be sure you have all the drivers you'll need before doing that reinstall.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users