Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Browser Probs?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 merthyrblue

merthyrblue

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 28 May 2006 - 12:51 PM

Whenever i click on a browser to try and surf the internet it takes so very long to load and a lot of the time i am informed that the "Server could not be found" even though my wireless router D-Link DSL-G604T informs me that i am connected to the internet with an excellent signal and a speed of 54Mbps. I have been told that it could be a winsock problem but i don't have a clue what a winsock is or how to go about repairing it. I update and run all the security programs on my computer on a daily basis. Could someone please advise. Many thanks. MB

Mod Edit: Topic moved to more appropriate forum ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 28 May 2006 - 06:31 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 28 May 2006 - 10:29 PM

The first thing to do would be to try a reboot on everything from the dsl/cable modem to the router to the computer.

See if that restores connectivity.

Is this the only computer connected to the router? If not, are the other computers experiencing the same problem?

What op system and browser are you using? Have you changed any settings before the problem began?

#3 merthyrblue

merthyrblue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 29 May 2006 - 12:34 AM

This is the only computer connected to the router for the moment and a reboot does most often restore connectivity but when i use a browser IE6, Firefox or Opera they take forever to load and sometimes i am informed that the server cannot be found? Although the strage thing is even though i cannot surf the internet with any of the above mentioned browsers i can use for example Limewire to download some tunes. I use Clearup.exe to clear all my temp files prior to logging off and all security programs are updated and run on a daily basis. I really can't recall changing any settings before the onset of the current problem. I am using Windows XP Home Edition, SP2. MB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users