Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Removing Roxio MyDVD 9.0 DE and Roxio Creator

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Alyab123

Alyab123

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 25 June 2014 - 02:00 AM

I recently tried (unsuccessfully) to make a rescue disk using Macrium Reflect Software. In the process of dealing with my DVD w/r +/-, Roxio software was triggered. This is software that came installed with my pc in windows xp pro SP3. I have an installation disk which says Roxio Creator & MyDVD 9.0 DE.

I have never used the programs until now - For years they sat untouched, showing in Revo uninstaller with the installation date as 2009 - I think that I did a reinstallation of Windows at that time. Almost immediately, Roxio seems to have started updating all the parts of these programs, and added a few items as well, including Sonic Activation Module, and an updater. All the related software got an updated installation date of the day I opened the program, and continued getting more updated dates. My computer startup became very slow, and I suspected the cause could be these new Roxio updates. So I decided to uninstall this software, and if I need it, I will reinstall it.

I use Revo uninstaller, and ran it for MyDVD. On level 4, it came up with over a thousand registry entries. This concerned me, so I went back to level 3. A number of entries were in common files/shared files folder: if they were in a subfolder with the word "roxio" I deleted them. My intent was to also uninstall all the Roxio Creator programs one by one (each part of the program shows up as a separate installation). When I scrolled through the registry entries, I found a number of them included paths to dll files in the system32 folder. I was hesitant to remove dll files from there, so I unchecked any items that showed a path to the system32 folder. At some point, I did a search online for some of these dll files. Sure enough, it seems that many people are having trouble with their DVD players, and getting dll errors that  are connected to those dll's that showed up in my registry entries after Roxio unistallations.

Many of those errors refer to a px*.dll. I don't know if the problems people have is because they did delete the registry entries or because they didn't! They are getting errors with px*.dll's. I have Revo uninstall open on my desktop, in middle of the Roxio Creator DE uninstallation, with level 3 registry listings, waiting to either be deleted or unchecked! I really don't know how to proceed. I do have a restore point from before I started deleting these programs, but I am very confused. I realize this post is unlikely to get an immediate response, so I will probably go ahead one way or another, and if the DVD player doesn't work, I will have to do a system restore.

If anyone can help me sort out the best way to uninstall Roxio software, so that the uninstall doesn't harm other programs, I would appreciate the input. Thank you!

Edited by Alyab123, 25 June 2014 - 02:17 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 25 June 2014 - 09:04 AM

I haven't used Roxio Creator in years and years and years!  However, have you considered seeing if your computer will boot from a flash drive, and if it can, create the recovery disk on a flash drive?  On my system, it boots a lot quicker.

Best of luck.

Edited by scotty_ncc1701, 25 June 2014 - 09:10 AM.

#3 Alyab123

Alyab123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 25 June 2014 - 12:10 PM

well, I went ahead with "moderate" registry cleanup after install with revo. Unfortunately, something that I did, caused my PC not to recognize the DVD rom drivers, even though they were still there. I found a fix on some dell related website, that had me download some sort of "engine" that is part of Roxio, and the DVD w/r is found again. Now I have the leftover files of the Roxio programs that I didn't delete:

Roxio Creator audio

Roxio Creator copy

Roxio Creator Data

are listed in add/remove programs. But MyDVD is gone, and Roxio Creator is not installed.

and my PC did not get faster, so that was NOT the problem!

There's also something called Sonic Activation Module, which didn't want to uninstall. I did a force uninstall with Revo, and I think that's how I lost the application that makes the DVD rom drivers work.

So I was able to restore to before that uninstall - it was my last one.

My Restore points before I started uninstalling MyDVD, Roxio Creator, and the update program were all useless. Time will tell if I start getting errors.

Should I try to use a different program to replace Roxio? Do you have any recommendations for a DVD/CD writer/img burner and bootable rescue disk creator ?  An NTFS flashdrive is the only kind of usb drive that my PC recognizes, other than USB ZIP! I think bootable flashdrives need to use FAT32, correct? My PC does not recognize Fat32 as a bootable drive.

Edited by Alyab123, 25 June 2014 - 12:18 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users