Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot install Windows on Alienware X51

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 michellejs

michellejs

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 24 June 2014 - 09:48 PM

I am trying to install Windows 7 Ultimate Edition on an Alienware X51. The harddrive failed today and I replaced it with a similar 1TB Western Digital 7200 rpm. I changed the bios setting from UEIF to Legacy in order to boot from my windows 7 installer USB. However during the final stage of the installation I get the message "Windows Setup could not configure Windows to run on this computer's hardware". I'm assuming there is some setting I am overlooking but I am not sure what it is. I tried installing the drivers from this thread: http://www.dell.com/support/troubleshooting/ca/en/19/KCS/KcsArticles/ArticleView?docid=552481 but apparently they are not appropriate for this model and would not install.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 PM

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:16 AM

I have had problems installing windows from usb devices in the past. Some things to check and try, are you using a usb 3.0 slot when installing? If so, do you have a standard 2.0 slot available to try from? Use a 2.0 slot if you have one. Next if that doesn't work. Try from a genuine windows disc instead of usb.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 michellejs

michellejs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 02 July 2014 - 02:03 PM

I have had problems installing windows from usb devices in the past. Some things to check and try, are you using a usb 3.0 slot when installing? If so, do you have a standard 2.0 slot available to try from? Use a 2.0 slot if you have one. Next if that doesn't work. Try from a genuine windows disc instead of usb.

Thanks for the advice. I had to get the computer done ASAP so I just ended up making a USB UEIF Windows 8 Installer and using that instead of Windows 7. I had never done that before but making the USB Installer was pretty easy using Rufus. I would still like to know how to do this since this is the second time I have had this problem, the first being with a Lenovo Ideapad. With that one I just ended up doing a system restore instead fo a complete reinstall.

Regarding trying a genuine disk: That is probably a good idea. I just never use optical media for anything anymore. I guess I'll see if I can dig one up. It feels like giving up though :)

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 PM

Posted 02 July 2014 - 02:10 PM

The majority of the time I encountered problems it was related to the USB 3.0 port. There was one dell computer that had only 3.0 ports and so I could not install windows 7 from a usb port (no disc drive either and usb disc drives had the same problem as the usb thumb drive). I had to remove the hard drive, image the drive using a pre-made windows 7 image, then put it back in the computer.

Windows 8 has far better usb 3.0 support but I have not yet tried to install win8 from a usb 3.0 port. I believe it would work fine.

Edited by zingo156, 02 July 2014 - 02:13 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users