Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Outlet Ethernet Adapter

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Rasnav

Rasnav

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 24 June 2014 - 09:04 PM

I have a Dell Optiplex 980 PC running Windows 7 64x and lately I have been having issues with getting the ethernet connection to work through a wall adapter. I am using the Actiontec Megaplug HPE100T outlet adapter for the ethernet. Both ends of the adapters work fine but my computer doesn't seem to want to pick up the signal from this device. When the ethernet cord is plugged into my PC the power light doesn't even light up on the connecter. These ethernet adapters work on other computers but I can't figure out why it won't work on mine.

I figured out that to get my network card to recognize the ethernet cord I had to tell it to stop searching for a gigabit connection. However I have now run into another issue, "local area connection does not have a valid ip configuration". Something is messed up with either the adapter or my network card that isn't letting it recieve the correct IP. This same ethernet adapter works with multiple computers, this is the only one that doesn't work. When I remove the adapters and directly hard wire myself to the router everything works fine.

Moved from Ex Hardware to Networking - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 25 June 2014 - 04:26 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to External Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,284 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2014 - 03:48 PM

Do the adapters work on other computers when connected to the same outlets?  I don't have any experience with powerline networking.  I don't know if they suffer from the same issues the old X10 home equipment suffered from.

I would try setting the speed on the network card to 100mb and see if that resolves your issue.

#3 Rasnav

Rasnav
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2014 - 03:54 PM

Yes the adapters work fine on other computers while still on the same outlets. I already set the speed to 100mb, that's what allowed my computer to see the connection in the first place. Before It didn't even find the connection because the computer was looking for gigabit. The only problem I have now is that it can't retrieve the IP from the router when the adapters are in between the connection even though other computers have been able to.

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,284 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2014 - 08:40 AM

Did you set the speed to 100 full or 100 half?  Try the other setting and see if that makes a difference.

#5 Rasnav

Rasnav
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2014 - 04:14 PM

Yes I tried both full and half. This is a fresh install of Windows with nothing accept the needed drivers installed. I may return to figuring out this problem eventually but for now I'm just going to get a longer ethernet cord and directly wire myself.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users