Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Troubles installing Mint 17 on SSD (partition alignment)

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 PM

Posted 24 June 2014 - 08:40 PM

Am trying to perform a Clean install of Linux Mint 17 to a 120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD. Here's the sticking point. Have created & aligned SSD partitions with GParted, 16GB Main, 72GB Home, 1GB Swap (for just in case), the last 22.79GB will be left for over provisioning, which will improve performance & increase life of SSD.

Here's the sticking point. After closing GParted after creating aligned partitions & beginning the install, the partitions that I created are way off the money, the 16GB Main shows as 17.2GB, the 72GB Hoime shows as 77.3 & the 1GB Swap shows as 1.1GB. Oddly, the free space at the end has grown (24.5GB), despite the created partitions showing as larger. Something is wrong & I've confirmed the GParted partitions to be there by rebooting to Windows 7 (on a separate SSD, along with Windows 8), Mini Tool Partition Wizard shows the partitions the way I created with GParted.

How is it that the MInt 17 installer sees these partitions so far off & the further extra space at the end? I've been using Mint for 5 years with no troubles, however have done only one SSD install, that was everything on a single partition. I prefer the home to be separate & to have a small swap for safety.

Any ideas as to why the Mint installer is reading these wrong?

Any advice to resolve this is highly appreciated, am currently running the OS in Live Mode as this post is being typed. My friend Google doesn't seem to be much assistance on this issue.

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 24 June 2014 - 08:46 PM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,844 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 24 June 2014 - 09:08 PM

I do not have a SSD i can try it on. When I did my Linux Mint 17 install I used the partitioning tool provided on the disk.

Maybe something is reading it funny?
a “GB” consists of 1,000,000,000 bytes.

To a computer, 1 GB = 2^30 bytes, or 1,073,741,824 bytes.

I am just guessing here.

1GB Swap (for just in case)

Should you need swap, Do you really want all those write operations in the same spot on a SSD. I only make a swap if the pc has less that 2 gig ram. It can slow a pc down,  If you need swap get more ram.

USE CAUTION deleting Partitions on a SSD. Looks like cbblake1, Bricked his simply by deleting 2 partitions.
Sandisk SSD X110 256GB not recognized in BIOS

Don't do this unless you NEED to. You don't even need to secure erase your SSD when you reinstall. The only reasons to secure erase is if there is a drastic speed decrease from either a hard workload or a TRIMless environment which you need fix quickly or if your SSD is acting up. Otherwise TRIM and garbage collection will take care of everything automatically.
It is not safe to use DBAN Nuke or similar on SSDs. First, it's not good for the drive, and second, it wouldn't work properly anyway.

Everybody with a SSD should read this

Edited by NickAu1, 25 June 2014 - 12:00 AM.

#3 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2014 - 10:09 PM

Got you on the Swap issue, when it was on a single partition, there wasn't one anyway. That can be fixed.

I've read for years, that one cannot depend on the Linux OS to properly align SSD's & that GParted is one of the only tools that can do partition alignment prior to installing the OS.

So are you suggesting that the partitioning scheme may be OK, it's just that Mint is seeing it wrong? After all, the Mint installer 'sees' more total SSD space than not only GParted, but also the Windows partition tools? As it stands right now, Mint 'sees' a total of 120.1GB, while GParted & other tools has always seen the SSD as being 111.79GB.

The advertised specs of the SSD is 120GB, but as we know, this is always reduced in the real world.

I guess I could install using the partitions that GParted made & after install check the alignment again, though it would be read only.

Being that you mention this, the Mint installer also shows my Windows partitions as larger than I know they are, by roughly 5GB each, didn't notice it earlier. Same with my Data HDD, which has several partitions, they're all larger also. I need to contact Clem (the Mint founder & main developer) about this. They are relying on the folks at Canoncial too much, you know the devs whom planted spyware on Ubuntu with the Amazon shortcut. Yeah, they ticked some folks off with that decision.

EDIT: No, I didn't secure erase the SSD, only deleted the sole Mint partition & created a separate main & home. For the reasons we talked about earlier.

Thanks for the tip. :) I'm going for it! :thumbsup2:

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 24 June 2014 - 10:14 PM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,844 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2014 - 10:12 PM

So are you suggesting that the partitioning scheme may be OK, it's just that Mint is seeing it wrong? After all, the Mint installer 'sees' more total SSD

Suggesting yes. How accurate that suggestion is? Just go with the Linux flow, If it works do not question it. :smash:

When I installed this Linux Mint 17, I just did the default settings thing and let the Linux installer handle it all.

Also when I installed Kubuntu 14 I just used the default installer didn't bother with any of that, I booted from Live DVD selected install, replace Windows OS, and its still working fine and shows the ssd and hdd sizes correctly. The ssd has no partitions on it I use the whole drive and my documents folder is on the hdd.

How to Move Your Home Folder to Another Partition in Ubuntu

only deleted the sole Mint partition & created a separate main & home.

Yes that's all cbblake1, Did. Was just thinking, Because he deleted the Partitions then re booted that caused the problem. While you deleted and created partition's and doing it that way fixed any needed bits in the partition table. Would be great to get a SanDisk rep of some sort to comment on this.

Edited by NickAu1, 24 June 2014 - 10:32 PM.

#5 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2014 - 10:46 PM

The ssd has no partitions on it I use the whole drive

You didn't leave 10% of blank space at the end for overprovisioning? I always try to leave 15% as extra measure.

This is supposed to help the SSD have a longer lifespan & something to do with proper controller function. The ACHI controller, which is independent of the OS. I don't know the exact technical details, will have to research further, but do know that most of the SSD OEM's recommends leaving 10% free for this purpose.

Should this install not align right, I'll remove that SSD & place it elsewhere. Not being aligned will surely shorten it's lifespan.

Cat

#6 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,844 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2014 - 10:53 PM

You didn't leave 10% of blank space at the end for overprovisioning?

This is supposed to help the SSD have a longer lifespan & something to do with proper controller function. The ACHI controller, which is independent of the OS.

Nope Just default install letting Linux wipe and partition as it saw fit, The ssd has a 3 year warranty so don't care, If it fails they will replace it, If it lasts the full 3 or more years by then 1TB SSD prices will be like 100 bucks.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Samsung-840-EVO-Series-1TB-2-5-Internal-Solid-State-Drive-SSD-SATA-III-/231061409294?pt=AU_HardDrives&hash=item35cc554e0e

Edited by NickAu1, 24 June 2014 - 11:01 PM.

#7 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2014 - 11:31 PM

This will likely be my last traditional SSD purchase, for a desktop anyway.

PCIe SSD's are now out that smashes the SATA 3 barrier through the roof. Meaning that with a modern MB. the main bottleneck to having a usable browser inside of 10 seconds of pressing the power switch is the typing of the password. There is a SanDisk model that's unavailable for single purchase, however Plextor has them & they're hot.

This will be the central part of my next hardware upgrade cycle. Hopefully other OEM's will jump in on the wagon. I'll likely get a fingerprint reader or smart card for faster boot times & may even consider a new type of BIOS, if it will work with the MB (Core Boot).

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/plextor-m6e-pci-express-ssd,3763.html

That PCIe SSD will rock the world, likely causing those $99 1TB SSD's you mentioned above. Yes, mine's covered for 3 years too, I guess considering the price that was paid, the 250GB one amounts to $45 yearly, the 120GB one that Mint is going on would be $30 (cost divided by the three years). That's really not much. My oldest one, a 120GB Crucial M4, at 2 years old still has 99% lifespan left, an Intel 180GB 330 that's almost as old is the same.

We really don't need to baby these as in previous years.

Cat

#8 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,844 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2014 - 11:49 PM

We really don't need to baby these as in previous years.

Do you think Sandisk would give a 3 year warranty  on a SSD, Knowing the kind of abuse they will get on a day to day basis in the real world without fancy setups, Trim may or may not be on, Swap file usage and all that knowing that most drives will last at least till they are out of warranty?

I read some place that "If you write 50GB of data a day to an SSD it should last 10 years"

280,354 GiB written to in 505.19 hours. I really can't imagine anyone writing that much in a three year span.

Source

Edited by NickAu1, 24 June 2014 - 11:52 PM.

#9 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2014 - 12:19 AM

I read some place that "If you write 50GB of data a day to an SSD it should last 10 years"

I've read similar things about SSD's. Many of which are filled to the brim several times over, secure erased & than benchmarked, yet lost little performance.

If a SSD will last through 50GB daily, mine will last until I'm 100 years old. Come another year or two, there will be SATA 4, just as DDR4 RAM is around the corner. Gotta have a SSD to match the DDR4 speed. Maybe PCIe based ones will do this.

You know something, I've not given it a thought again until now, am just remembering that I'm running Mint 17 on Live Flash drive. Almost as fast as SSD. I'll get it installed before bed & will finish in the morning. There are lots to setup, though most of this is done in the Terminal.

Cat

#10 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2014 - 01:22 AM

Nick, am almost there! :thumbup2:

Late last night was working on this as well as some today. Have used a few tips & tricks from a Ubuntu 14/04 for setting up SSD properly, as this is much the same thing, only better. Unlike the install where all was on 1 partition, the monitor is now beautiful. Fast as greased lightning & fairly well configured, there's a few more things to add. 

I need to know, this GPU is a MSI branded AMD Radeon 7770, 1GB GDDR5 (OC out of the box). Picture is fine but no sound. It's connected via DisplayPort, which carries both video & sound. What do I need to install to get sound? 

Hardware is the same as what's shown in my Speccy specs below, only this runs on the 120GB Samsung 840 EVO, all alone. 

#11 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,844 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2014 - 01:41 AM

Open Gnome ALSA Mixer  or Pulse audio and look at the settings, It may be muted.

#12 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2014 - 02:04 AM

May have to get it in the morning. It's 3AM here, neither of these apps are installed. 

Cat

#13 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,844 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2014 - 02:07 AM

qqobgh.png

#14 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2014 - 11:49 AM

There is reason to believe the OS needs another reinstall, tried to add Pulse Audio, after ALSA Mixer showed the settings, now the Driver Manager shortcut is missing in the Control Center. Have entered all sorts of command lines to get this to work, did have Pulse Audio on the prior install & it worked. But can't recall the steps it took to get there.

ALSA keeps wanting to revert to the inbuilt sound card, however don't use the Intel GPU for anything, my monitor, which includes speakers, are ran direct from the MSI Radeon 7770, there are no sound issues on any other installed OS.

I do not want to use the inbuilt Intel graphics, it's disabled in the UEFI, having it enabled drastically lowers my WEI score on graphics (from 7.4 to 6.7). The MSI card has better graphics than that Intel 4600 HD junk, however the MB does have 7.1 channel Maxx Audio. Being that I only have the two speakers in the monitor, having 7.1 channel audio means nothing. If I had a nice sound system, it would be different & would use it. Otherwise, the inbuilt graphics is a drag on the computer.

Being that there wasn't an older version of Mint installed on the PC before 17, I cannot say if the sound worked prior or not.

The now missing Driver Manager concerns me. If I reinstalled, would the home folder need it too? My saved software would be gone.

EDIT: I wonder if it's safe to use DisplayPort from the GPU, which contains audio, & the inbuilt connection together. There is a 3.5mm mini jack for audio. Specs in below link. The reason why can't use the HDMI port on the monitor, is because my notebook is attached to that port. There's one DP, one HDMI & one VGA (for backwards compatibility with older computers) on the monitor.

http://www.asus.com/Monitors_Projectors/VE248Q/specifications/

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 26 June 2014 - 12:06 PM.

#15 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2014 - 09:53 PM

What a day it's been......if there were anything to go wrong, today was the day I got my share worth. A total of 3 reinstalls of Mint 17, the second one over a silly mistake that I couldn't recover from. Was adding a weather applet, to show the current outdoor temperature, instead of 'Add to Panel', created a new one, which left the panel totally blank. Then after reinstalling from that, didn't format my home folder, so the issue was still there. 

Could have added generic applets to replace some of the items, but I want it right, plus it only took 10 minutes for the last reinstall. However setting things up, as one should do for a new OS install, took time. Though nowhere as bad a Windows. Initial install & update took only 15 minutes. Configuration (setting up TRIM, etc) & installing apps took longer. 

Now I'm back to where I started & still no audio. Did find the ALSA after digging around, but was of no help. However, it did at least show the option on the card, just no way to activate. 

Have Pulse Audio installed, can see where VLC is playing music, just not getting to the speakers. Am still playing with it in hopes of getting it right. 

Cat

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users