Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Restarts after safe mode screen

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Star_gazr

Star_gazr

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 PM

Posted 24 June 2014 - 07:40 PM

Hi there so. I downloaded a movie and my laptop just stopped working. It's a windows vista operating widows 7 I think :-/ any way I go to start it up and it goes to the safe mode option screen. After clicking all of them right after clicking it restarts. It won't even go to another screen. I've tried pressing f8 but it won't even work on any of those options none of them not even the restarting one. I literally can't do anything I can do f9 and it takes me to to setup utility but that's it. Please help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kirbyofdeath

Kirbyofdeath

• Members
  • 459 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 PM

Posted 24 June 2014 - 08:57 PM

Sounds like malware came bundled with this "movie". Burn a copy of the most recent version of "Kaspersky Rescue Disk" and use it to scan your problem computer for any infections.

#3 Star_gazr

Star_gazr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2014 - 07:50 AM

Sounds like malware came bundled with this "movie". Burn a copy of the most recent version of "Kaspersky Rescue Disk" and use it to scan your problem computer for any infections.

#4 Star_gazr

Star_gazr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2014 - 07:51 AM

I don't have another computer to burn that disk.

#5 Star_gazr

Star_gazr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2014 - 07:52 AM

If I could burn that disk, how is it able to scan if I can't get past the safe mode screen?

#6 Kirbyofdeath

Kirbyofdeath

• Members
  • 459 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2014 - 12:30 PM

Use another (your friends or library) computer to burn the .iso to a cd. It works by not booting into windows, but it instead boots into the cd.

Edited by Kirbyofdeath, 25 June 2014 - 12:31 PM.

#7 Star_gazr

Star_gazr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2014 - 05:51 PM

What's the best site to download kaspersky. Do I need to instal? I'm really not sure

#8 Kirbyofdeath

Kirbyofdeath

• Members
  • 459 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2014 - 07:46 PM

1: The best site to download the iso is their own site! Always opt to download something from the company site rather than a third-party site

2:No need to install, everything is on the iso.

One more thing, if the computer is win 7 or newer, you can burn the iso just by double clicking. If the computer is older than windows 7, you will have to burn the iso with a burning program. I prefer ImgBurn.

#9 Star_gazr

Star_gazr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:16 PM

Okay so I downloaded an Imgburn and in the process now of downloading kaspersky from the site. I have a blank disk to copy it to

Edited by Star_gazr, 25 June 2014 - 08:40 PM.

#10 Star_gazr

Star_gazr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2014 - 09:36 PM

My blank disk wasn't big enough and I don't know how to copy to USB ahh I'm so lost

#11 Kirbyofdeath

Kirbyofdeath

• Members
  • 459 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2014 - 11:42 PM

I've had problems burning isos to usbs, so maybe you can ask a friend to give you a blank dvd. 

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,393 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2014 - 10:25 AM

I downloaded the file and it's only 387MB, a CD has a capacity of 700MB.  You should be able to burn the ISO to a CD.

If the computer you are using has Windows 7 or 8 you can use the following instructions to burn the ISO image to a disc.

How to burn ISO image using Windows Burn Disk Image.

Notice:  This applies only to Windows 7 and Windows 8, earlier versions do not have this.

1.  Place a blank CD or DVD in the tray of your optical drive and close the tray.

2.  After you have downloaded the ISO image you want to burn right click on the Start orb, then choose Windows Explorer.

3.  When Explorer opens click on Downloads in the left pane.  Scroll down till you find the ISO file you want and double click on it.  Click on Burn Disk Image.

4.  In the image below you will see Disk burner:, this should be set to the optical drive you want to use.  Click on Verify disc after burning if you want to Windows to verity the disc image after burn.  Click on burn.

burndiskimage1_zpsb502b181.png

5.  In the image below you can see that the green progress bar, when the image is finished burning the bar will be filled.

burndiskimage2_zps17a9d6ff.png

6.  After the image has completed being burned click on Close

If the computer has Vista or earlier you can use the instructions below to burn the ISO image to a disc using ImgBurn.

Burning a ISO file to a CD or DVD with ImgBurn

To burn a ISO file to a CD or DVD please downlaod ImgBurn and install it.

Insert blank CD or DVD into your CD/DVD drive.

Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc.

ImgBurn1_zps715cb1c2.png

Click on the Browse for a file icon:

ImgBurn2_zpsaea72ba9.png

Locate the ISO file you want to burn, and click on the Open button.

Click on the blue arrow to start burning the bootable CD.

imageburn11_zpse44f577b.png

As Kirbyofdeath posted, the computer will boot from the disc, so Windows will not be involved.  But in order to boot from the disc you may have to enter the BIOS and change the boot order so that your DVD/CD-ROM is the first device in the boot order, and the hdd the second device.

When you start the computer you will eventually see a message telling you to "Press any key to boot from disc", do so and the computer will boot from the disc.

Edited by dc3, 27 June 2014 - 10:26 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users