Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

corrupt attribute record on reboot, recent BSOD

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 llabnivlac

llabnivlac

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 AM

Posted 24 June 2014 - 06:56 PM

Hi, long time reader, first time poster. I have had a couple of BSODs over the last month or so. Different codes each time, nothing definitive regarding the problem. Most recent was 0xA0000000001, others I don't remember and went to different components of the PC. A few minutes ago, I received that BSOD and when the system restarted, I had hundreds of corrupt attribute boot records, followed by a bunch of orphan files. System restarted, and now I am posting here.

Can anyone help me out? I have attached the event viewer wininit file.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2014 - 07:49 PM

You had a really screwed up hard drive.  The log you posted didn't contain the whole report from chkdsk either, so I can't tell if it was able to correct all the problems or not.  If you don't have the rest of the report, you'll need to run chkdsk again and post the whole report here.  

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 24 June 2014 - 07:56 PM

Try to do a Full Disk Check / R, you only did a Read not Repair scan. This may help a small bit - >>

Run a Disk Check on your C: drive in Windows 7:
• Click Start and open Computer
• Right-click on C: (or your hard drive letter) and select Properties
• Click on the Tools tab
• Under Error-checking click the Check Now... button
• Mark the 2 boxes next to Automatically fix file system errors and Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors
• Click on the Start button
• When the message box pops up, click the Schedule disk check button and Restart your computer
• Once your computer restarts it will check the drive, don't press any keys so that it is allowed to do so
This will take (on average) 1 to 2 hours depending on your system, so please let it finish.
DO NOT force a reboot once started a you will lose data and may damage the computer
NOTE - If this is a Laptop please plug it into a reliable power source, as batteries may fail.
The computer will reboot to normal mode once it has completed all 5 stages, not the 3 stages like you have done -

Next -

Please post a snapshot with Speccy for more system details -
How to Publish a snapshot with Speccy <<-- Full Directions Here (only post the link)

#4 llabnivlac

llabnivlac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:02 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/zeCMOWJTAKaeciRaBqACpNO

I ran the Disk Check as stated, prior to running Speccy.

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2014 - 09:19 PM

Hi -

If that is the final result after running the Full Disk Check /R (as above), then I agree there are problems.

Installation Date: 2/15/2011 is often not related as parts can fail with use or simply out of box faults.

Even though you get "Status Good" listed, this is more Temperature related only.

Many of the HDD related readings are not very good.

#6 llabnivlac

llabnivlac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2014 - 09:38 PM

Would you recommend replacing the drive?

#7 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2014 - 12:36 AM

In one word Yes. Following that please read on.

But this does not mean it is dead today. Often these can (at times) last quite a few months or even more .

If this was mine, I would start to be careful about how much I used it and what I used it for.

My reply is "Many of the HDD related readings are "not very good"."

wpgwpg also related to this as soon as we opened your first report -

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 26 June 2014 - 08:27 AM

FWIW:  Before I even think about replacing a hard drive...I deem it best to run a hard drive diagnostic to assess/verify the functional status.

Chkdsk is a file system tool, it is not a hard drive diagnostic and is only concerned with the file structure, etc. of the partition on which it is run.  A hard drive diagnostic assesses the functional state of the hard drive.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 26 June 2014 - 08:29 AM.

#9 llabnivlac

llabnivlac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2014 - 04:39 PM

Hamluis - is there a program you would recommend to do so?

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 26 June 2014 - 05:22 PM

Sure..after reading the instructions for use reflected in the Guide.

Guide, SeaTools For DOS - http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/SeaToolsDOSguide.pdf

SeaTools for DOS Download - http://www.seagate.com/support/internal-hard-drives/consumer-electronics/ld25-series/seatools-dos-master/

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users